• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Better Quality with CloneDVDmobile and AVI (DivX)

I

ITSE

Download the file here now.
Extract it and override the original devices.ini
Look at yourself. I have changed several things so try it.
Post your mind after uve test the new settings ;-)

I hope the quality is up to your satisfaction.

ITSE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Interesting... Would you mind describing what you changed, why you changed it, and what makes this devices.ini better? Would be nice to know what's going on in the background to possibly make improvements.

Would be a better idea though to rename devices.ini to devices.original then copy the new file in, in case folks want to revert back to the original devices.ini

Thanks!

The old settings still in the new devices.ini
But there four new settings for DivX now.
Optimized for quality
and also some for speed.
Just try it and look for yourself.

Download the file here now.
Extract it and override the original devices.ini
Look at yourself. I have changed several things so try it.
Post your mind after uve test the new settings ;-)

I appreciate very much, that you're trying to improve the quality.
But to avoid conflicts that will arise every time CloneDVD mobile gets updated (and the devices.ini will be overridden, depending on which devices.ini file is more recent - resulting in a complete support-mess, because problems reported here will depend on whether it's the original or not), it would be better, you simply post the changes you're suggesting. Then I can think about officially adopting them - this would be a much cleaner move.
Also: maybe you can add the actual speed penalty and maybe post files to let us see the improvement, so everyone can decide themselves whether or not the changes are worth it.
Could you please do that?
Thanks.

Ok i will write the improvements here
and also the time
for generic Divx and profiles greated by me.

Will upload some example files.
So evryone can see.

Mfg

ITSE

Here the settings

Ive changed Res1 and Res3 for my own cause i wanna watch files in
Standalon DVD Player.

Code:
[* very high quality (DivX)]
Res3=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res1=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:qns=2:acodec=libmp3lame
VTag=DIVX
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=avi
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

[* high quality (DivX)]
Res3=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res1=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna3=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna1=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:last_pred=2:dia=-1:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:cmp=3:subcmp=3:precmp=0:vqcomp=0.6:turbo:acodec=libmp3lame
VTag=DIVX
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=avi
FileType=avi
Quality=14
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

[* fast (DivX)]
Res3=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res1=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna3=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna1=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:turbo:acodec=libmp3lame
VTag=DIVX
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=avi
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

Here the settings

Ive changed Res1 and Res3 for my own cause i wanna watch files in
Standalon DVD Player. (how i can remove the smilies in my answer?)

You can use the "#" symbol in the editor to "wrap code tags" around the parts - they should get displayed 1:1 then.

Here the Samples http://rapidshare.com/files/69899198/sample.rar.html

For a 30 seconds video encode with 1012 kbps

generic divx 2 pass near 12 sec.

very high quality 2 pass near 1 min 30 sec.

high quality 2 pass near 26 sec.

fast 2 pass near 15 sec.

Windows XP Pro, Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB RAM

On Core 2 Duo processor
The processor its just 50% in use with CloneDVDmobile.
So it dont use the full power of the porcessor.

Pls write here what uve thinking about the quality

Mfg
ITSE

I'm testing now on a film I did with the generic divx settings last night...

testing: very high quality (DivX)

will report time etc....

cad

Peer,

To save loosing the settings with every update, why not have:

devices.user.ini

And merge this alphabetically with devices.ini.

cad

devices.user.ini

i've always thought that would be a good idea, maybe even highlight them as user-supplied ones in the menu too.

Peer,

devices.user.ini

Yes, that's even on my todo list, but it's not that easy - I'm planning to go for a more flexible approach than just adding a user ini (with the potential of name collisions and all that...).

Pls write here what uve thinking about the quality

Mfg
ITSE
Maybe it is just me, but I cannot tell the difference between any of the clips.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot tell the difference between any of the clips.

Uve seen all samples and all length?
U didnt seen any difference? Where uve watched the samples?

There less artefacts than normally. U can see it specially at the beginning
of the samples where the text is in front of movie (thats no subpicture).
Look for the artefacts around the letters. even later in the samples where theyre driving with the car look at the dust.

my input on the samples:

generic_2pass.avi - very blocky when viewed fullscreen, lots of artifacts around the text.

very_high_quality_2pass - colours look a little washed out and blocky, but the text is near perfect.

high_quality_2pass - looks the same as above.

fast_2pass - really bad blockiness on motion - look at the guy's back as he runs.

i'd say the very_high_quality_2pass is not worth being 3 times the encode time of just high_quality_2pass, but we certainly shouldn't be using generic or fast for anything (tell me these aren't mobile's defaults!)

i've noticed that these are divx, have you tried the same tests with the xvid profile?

Thers just the libavcodec implementet i think

Theres no XviD Codec Implemented in the file CloneDVDmobile use.
So they have to implement Xvid first so it can be used.
Its possible to encode in Xvid and quality is much better than with the libavcodec.
Also the encoding time is faster. With normal encoding quality and just 50% used of my cores
i get over 100 fps wich are encoded with mencoder.
Ive tried qith an compiled mencoder .exe where XviD is includet.

But can't write any XviD profile for CloneDVDmobile till they implement XviD into there mencoder file.

So maybe peer will add it in the real near future?

peer's posted an xvid profile on here somewhere (copied below) but he said he'd prefer not to use it as its slower than divx or something, although i'd have to say the quality is much better.

Code:
[* Generic (XviD)]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
Format=avi
moac=mp3lame
movc=xvid
mopts=-lameopts br=%abrate% -xvidencopts bitrate=%vbrate%%PASS%
FileType=avi
VTag=XVID
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=avi
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

my input on the samples:

generic_2pass.avi - very blocky when viewed fullscreen, lots of artifacts around the text.

very_high_quality_2pass - colours look a little washed out and blocky, but the text is near perfect.

high_quality_2pass - looks the same as above.

fast_2pass - really bad blockiness on motion - look at the guy's back as he runs.

i'd say the very_high_quality_2pass is not worth being 3 times the encode time of just high_quality_2pass, but we certainly shouldn't be using generic or fast for anything (tell me these aren't mobile's defaults!)

i've noticed that these are divx, have you tried the same tests with the xvid profile?

I very much hope you all are aware that CloneDVD mobile also has a quality slider that has a very significant impact - by merely modifying the resulting bitrate - on all of these observations. So be sure, you are comparing the right things.
Note that by pulling the quality slider to a maximum, you will most certainly not be able to see any artefacts.
So the real issue here is not to optimize quality, but rather reduce the file size.

In other words: You will gain a lot of quality by increasing the bitrate with minimal speed penalty.
The modifications suggested here will allow you to increase quality as well while resulting in a smaller file size (and less bitrate, thus possibly better for devices that can only handle low bitrates). But the price is a significant slowdown.

So it depends on what you're looking for. An owner of an Archos with 160GB HDD can happily go for the fastest transcoding as high bitrate - if your drive space is limited you may want to go for the alternative profiles.

I tried the high qual profile and it took and age. It was still going after 24 hours. I tried on a smaller file and the quality was getter at the same bitrate however after a little more research I am looking to switch to mp4 / H264 for my media center - am testing MP4 at the moment with the PS3 profiles to see what the quality is like. The speed is very good.

cad

Back