• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No more password sharing with Netflix, no more VPNs too

RedFox 1

Forum Admin
March 16, 2022, 7:09 PM EDT
By Kalhan Rosenblatt
Sharing your Netflix password with someone for free outside your household may soon be a thing of the past.

In a news release posted to its website Wednesday, the streaming giant announced that it will begin testing ways to make users sharing an account outside the household pay for the additional members.

"We’ve always made it easy for people who live together to share their Netflix account, with features like separate profiles and multiple streams in our Standard and Premium plans," the company said in a statement. "While these have been hugely popular, they have also created some confusion about when and how Netflix can be shared."

The improper sharing of accounts outside the household has affected Netflix's "ability to invest in great new TV and films for our members," the company said.

The company's terms of service say an account "may not be shared with individuals beyond your household," a rule often flouted by subscribers.

Netflix raises prices in U.S. and Canada
JAN. 15, 202200:38
The test run of new prices to "add an extra member" on standard and premium plans will take place first in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru.

Those who have been illicitly sharing passwords in those three countries can transfer profile information to new accounts or to the "extra member" subscriber accounts.

"We recognize that people have many entertainment choices, so we want to ensure any new features are flexible and useful for members, whose subscriptions fund all our great TV and films," Netflix said. “We’ll be working to understand the utility of these two features for members in these three countries before making changes anywhere else in the world.”

Last year, Netflix tested a prompt to have password freeloaders re-enter their credentials to keep using the service. The nudge was intended to get those sharing passwords to create their own accounts.

https://capitaloneshopping.com/blog...ze7-DM9BXvUOm2-YrAW6PloEiDR3kAo0pav49jflo7MAQ

There's a caveat to that, no more sharing FOR FREE. They've launched a trial in a few countries where for an additional fee you can share 1 or 2 outside of the household.

But until they catch ME, I'll just keep sharing with the ones I already do . They pay me monthly for their slot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, of course, it's not really a caveat, they say what they are going to do, I am not sure they mean your country but they are going to implement this.

We all want free but no ones wants to pay for service. You pay for gas and food why not ask to get those for free as well. Let's see how economy falls to the waste side when that happens. Gas/Petro will move to markets that will make money and those that don't pay well you always can get by with the buggy and horse or horse back riding. So be careful what you wish for you might just get it. Yeah, it's in their business interest to make money - CAPITALISM. People talk this but when they have to deal with it they talk about how until you catch me. They will - it will be a rude awakening it what will happen. Amazon and Apple are getting on the band wagon so don't think they won't invest Capital in that feature to make more money. This is their service and everyone signed their TOS - one doesn't get to make their own TOS and everyone online Services always have some clause they can change/modify that TOS at anytime.

i just wonder exactly how they're going to manage this as it'll definitely drive some users away. My niece has an Amazon Fire TV Stick that she takes with her when she want's to watch Netflix. Her parents are separated so she brings it to her Mum's house and to her Dad's house and also uses it at the family's holiday home. It's also handy if she's away on work, or on holiday abroad so she'll have something she wants to watch in the hotel room. Portability was the reason she signed up to Netflix and I can't see her keeping her subscription if they block her being able to watch content wherever she happens to be, which she's perfectly entitled to do since she's the one paying for Netflix. I reckon she's probably not the only person in that position.

If she brings the SAME firestick device to the different places, the only thing that basically changes is the IP address she watches from. One way NF could track things is by signins on NEW devices. The device is still the same even if she connected the fire stick to 100 different TVs. Another is tracking by IP's obviously.

For the price of netflix I will spend my money elsewhere they have priced themselves out of the market as far as I am concerned.

For the price of netflix I will spend my money elsewhere they have priced themselves out of the market as far as I am concerned.

Personally I agree especially given the lack of quality content.

It's really an important point though because the streaming stuff is shifting still where the content makers are hosting their own platforms like Hbo Max and Paramount. Unfortunately their technology tends to suck so their platforms stink compared to the companies like Netflix who are streaming providers but not really content makers. But then the streaming providers have little good content because the content makers have made their own platforms.

This leaves the customer in a bad position. However, I think this is temporary. Aggregators like Netflix will come back to the fray after the content makers get sick of dealing with and paying for being a streaming provider. Although by the time that happens there likely won't be a Netflix we recognize and there might be new companies doing it.

Although by the time that happens there likely won't be a Netflix we recognize and there might be new companies doing it.
I remember it wasn't that long ago when Blockbuster was "The It" for renting movies and TV shows by mail and return to the store to get another rental, and Netflix made their name doing DVDs by mail.

Along comes Netflix streaming and suddenly the physical media rental market started shrinking. Slowly at first, then faster and faster.

I had a grandfathered Netflix account of 8 DVDs at one time, there are a local distribution center near where I live so DVD turnaround was 2 days, there and back.

Then one day I noticed all the discs were being sent back to Netflix HQ in CA and the turnaround ended up being a week or more.

Buh-bye Netflix by mail! I still keep the streaming since the content Netflix has for streaming I am not at a loss for something to stream. Older movies and TV shows.

At least with Netflix they don't show content for rental/purchase like Amazon does.

One nice thing about Amazon is should I buy a DVD/Bluray that has included digital content most times it ends up registering with Amazon as owned as well as the Vudu streaming service. If the streaming digital content shows up on Amazon it also shows up for streaming on my cable setup.

I remember it wasn't that long ago when Blockbuster was "The It" for renting movies and TV shows by mail and return to the store to get another rental, and Netflix made their name doing DVDs by mail.

Along comes Netflix streaming and suddenly the physical media rental market started shrinking. Slowly at first, then faster and faster.

I had a grandfathered Netflix account of 8 DVDs at one time, there are a local distribution center near where I live so DVD turnaround was 2 days, there and back.

Then one day I noticed all the discs were being sent back to Netflix HQ in CA and the turnaround ended up being a week or more.

Buh-bye Netflix by mail! I still keep the streaming since the content Netflix has for streaming I am not at a loss for something to stream. Older movies and TV shows.

At least with Netflix they don't show content for rental/purchase like Amazon does.

One nice thing about Amazon is should I buy a DVD/Bluray that has included digital content most times it ends up registering with Amazon as owned as well as the Vudu streaming service. If the streaming digital content shows up on Amazon it also shows up for streaming on my cable setup.

I actually like the Amazon way better. They have a lot of stuff included with Prime but you can watch almost anything (yes for a price) because they are essentially a video marketplace and almost anything is available. I think this is superior to Netflix which , for all intents and purposes, now only has their own garbage content to offer without the marketplace. I do believe Netflix will fall by the wayside and be replaced by Amazon. In essence, Netflix is the new BlockBuster because it saw the market shifting and chose too late to react.

I actually like the Amazon way better. They have a lot of stuff included with Prime but you can watch almost anything (yes for a price) because they are essentially a video marketplace and almost anything is available. I think this is superior to Netflix which , for all intents and purposes, now only has their own garbage content to offer without the marketplace. I do believe Netflix will fall by the wayside and be replaced by Amazon. In essence, Netflix is the new BlockBuster because it saw the market shifting and chose too late to react.

It bugs me though that they also charge for very old content. It happens quite often on Prime where the most recent seasons of older programmes are free to watch but the earlier ones you have to pay. Kind of seems back to front to me. If the older seasons were free then you might be tempted more to pay for the newer ones. I don't like watching something from season 5 without having seen the earlier ones.

I found some info online about a TV series that I thought looked interesting called "The Middleman", which is from back in 2008. Checked it out and found it was on Amazon Prime but Amazon are wanting £2.49 (which is around $3) an episode to watch this even though it's 14 years old. Don't think I'll bother.

It bugs me though that they also charge for very old content. It happens quite often on Prime where the most recent seasons of older programmes are free to watch but the earlier ones you have to pay. Kind of seems back to front to me. If the older seasons were free then you might be tempted more to pay for the newer ones. I don't like watching something from season 5 without having seen the earlier ones.

I found some info online about a TV series that I thought looked interesting called "The Middleman", which is from back in 2008. Checked it out and found it was on Amazon Prime but Amazon are wanting £2.49 (which is around $3) an episode to watch this even though it's 14 years old. Don't think I'll bother.
Hello Wombler:
Fancy seeing you in a place like this. LOL. Great to have you here. :)

Back