• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ReClock and Bitstreaming

LordX

So I decided to try ReClock (beta version 1.9.0.7).

I decided to try and see if I could get ReClock to work with Bitstreaming (not just passing it through). So I selected the (not recommended) "Accept Bitstream Formats", and then UNCHECKED the (recommended) box below it "Disable Media speed correction with bitstream audio".

So I am forcing ReClock to accept and attempt to HELP bitstreamed audio. I thought this might error out, but it SEEMS to be working? It is passing bitstreamed audio to my Receiver, AND showing 1 frame drop every 6-8 hours (up from every 50 or so minutes). (23.976 content with the monitor and nvidia card at as close to 23.976 as nvidia will get).

Is this just fantasy though? Is it just going to audio glitch instead of frame dropping now? I only loaded a few different files for a minute or two to test them, so I don't know what will happen if I try to watch something 2+ hours long uninterrupted.

With that config, ReClock will drop or repeat a whole encoded frame from time to time to keep in sync. A repeat is obvious; if it's a drop what you will hear will depend on the codec used and your receiver's error handling.
The worst for glitches is with classic AC3 where a frame is a massive 32 ms, I think E-AC3 is 16 ms and TrueHD 8 ms so a shorter glitch. All DTS formats are 11 ms.

Yes. That is exactly what happened. The wonderful POP/SNAP of an audio drop.

So I decided to do it the right way, and disable bitstreaming so LAV Audio decodes into PCM. I had to select 24 bit Padded to 32 bit or else I got an error in WASAPI mode.

I have a 7.1 setup, so I left LAV Audio mixer disabled. So it plays whatever the file is encoded in (Stereo, 5.1, 7.1 etc).

With WASAPI mode, and 24 bit padded to 32 bit, am I losing any audio quality? I feel like going UP from 24 to 32 bit wouldn't hurt the audio in any way - but I could be wrong.

PS - Thanks for replying!

Not at all, it's just because the audio driver needs the samples to be 32 bits, so ReClock just pads the 24 bits with 8 zeroes to send to the driver, but it does not degrade anything.

So the audio quality should be exactly the same then? The only thing I would be 'losing' would be the Atmos or DTS:X metadata for the spatial sound to the receiver?

From what I am reading online - DTS HD MA and PCM are both lossless - so converting DTS HD MA to PCM should be perfect. I will lose the DTS:X or Dolby Atmos metadata that only the Receiver can decode - but I don't have spatial ceiling speakers anyway, just the standard 7.1 surround. So I think I am pretty much even in terms of sound quality.

I have LAV Mixer disabled so there are fewer 'hands' in the cookie jar so to speak. Just converting DTS or Dolby to PCM and sending to the receiver.

So Reclock can work its magic - and my viewing experience should finally be complete!!

What issues? That a "not recommended" option is indeed "not recommended"? ;)

Happy new year!

I did have two other observations: When I play a 24fps (exactly 24fps) video, MadVR switches my resolution automatically from 23.976 to 24 and begins playing the file. When this happens, I see the reclock icon flashing green and red as if something isn't right. I don't have any dropped frames or anything, so I guess it isn't a problem, just curious why Reclock doesn't like it?

Also, some encoded files get odd when I skip. The file is in sync to begin with, then I skip past the intro, and it is out of sync, until I hit the back arrow or skip again. What can cause this behavior? Bad encode, or just something inherent with seeking/skipping ahead?

Happy new year!

I did have two other observations: When I play a 24fps (exactly 24fps) video, MadVR switches my resolution automatically from 23.976 to 24 and begins playing the file. When this happens, I see the reclock icon flashing green and red as if something isn't right. I don't have any dropped frames or anything, so I guess it isn't a problem, just curious why Reclock doesn't like it?
It is just resynching. Let it flash. It should stop after some time.

Also, some encoded files get odd when I skip. The file is in sync to begin with, then I skip past the intro, and it is out of sync, until I hit the back arrow or skip again. What can cause this behavior? Bad encode, or just something inherent with seeking/skipping ahead?
No idea. But ReClock's behaviour may be "erratic" from time to time.

Back