• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Are there any standalone players that can play BD-RE-XL?

The formula is less and less physical media and more and more streaming. Why bother protecting UHDs? I

Yes, but as long as they are still producing discs, I think they see it as "protecting their investment". And their "property".

I personally am not looking forward to discs disappearing.

I guess I like the idea of owning and physically possessing my media, not catching it from a stream that may or may not be available in the future.

And ofc, right now streaming video quality just doesn't look good enough for me.

I will say I recently watched the last season of The Expanse on Amazon streaming and that's only because it is nowhere else to be found.

To my surprise, the picture was fairly decent. Nothing to write home about but nowhere near as abysmal as Amazon streaming I had seen in the past.

And yet, I can't wait til the season is released on Blu-Ray!!!

I'll then see it as it's really supposed to be seen.

And if they go the extra mile and present it on UHD -- I am really ALL IN!

But I'm sorry. I digress .... :=))

T

I was just pointing out the sale of UHDs vs. original Blu-Rays has to much, much less. I like discs more than streaming for the most part. As far as Amazon [The last season of The Expanse was on Amazon?], in the world of piracy, it usually seems to me that their video files are larger than others?

I was just pointing out the sale of UHDs vs. original Blu-Rays has to much, much less.

That's true.

But Blu-Ray took quite a while to catch on too.

At least from our perspective as "very" early adopters - hehe.

The last season of The Expanse was on Amazon?]

Yes it was!!!

I love this series and was bummed when SyFy cancelled it (don't know why they call themselves "SyFy").

So I was really glad it got picked up. Then I heard it was Amazon and available streaming-only. :=(

Oh well, that's better than nothing!

As I said it didn't look half bad and I enjoyed the episodes.

Heard rumors that Amazon will feature one last season and that'll be it.

T

Kannst du das für mich "dumm" machen? Wie erklärt dies, warum es [fast] keine Spieler gibt, die mit diesen Discs umgehen können? [Ich gehe davon aus, dass diese Einschränkungen bei der PC-Wiedergabe nicht gelten?] Es handelt sich um eine andere Ebenengröße. Warum können eigenständige Spieler nicht einfach dafür ausgelegt werden?
The point is the layer break and the book-type of the disc. Blank madia SL or DL disc is 25 GB per layer. If your player recognizes a disc with 33,4 GB it won´t mach to a usual BD-R. The diffrence in book-type is BD-R and BD-ROM. As far as I know the UB900 and the Oppo are the only players that can handle BD-XL.
As testiles said, there is no interest on the part of the manufacturers to support this. It is their best protection mechanism if you want to make a perfect backup without losses.

The best way I have found to read files from blu-ray disc's, including 100GB and 128GB BDXL is to buy an external disc drive (one that supports the disc types you need to read) and plug it into an Nvidia Shield TV Pro using a Y-cable (needs both USB ports on the shield to properly power the disc drive unless it has its own power supply) which is connected ypto your TV via HDMI.

You will need to download the application `MLUSB Mounter` from the Google Play store and purchase the `UDF/ISO` extension for like $2.50. This will allow you to read the files on your discs. You can set any of many video players as the default to open those files with, such as VLC Player or MPLAYER Plus.

I tried a little experiment. I purchased a Ritek 100GB BD-RE XL Rewritable disc and burned an 80GB 4K movie 2X speed on a Pioneer using ImgBurn. Movie played fine on the Pioneer and an Asus portable UHD drive. Tried to play it on my Oppo 205 and Sony 700 and it was a complete no go. Didn't recognize the disc. The Sony told me that finalizing the disc might be needed but I don't think rewritable discs are finalizable. Both these players are 5 years old so maybe that's the issue. Any suggestions?

I tried a little experiment. I purchased a Ritek 100GB BD-RE XL Rewritable disc and burned an 80GB 4K movie 2X speed on a Pioneer using ImgBurn. Movie played fine on the Pioneer and an Asus portable UHD drive. Tried to play it on my Oppo 205 and Sony 700 and it was a complete no go. Didn't recognize the disc. The Sony told me that finalizing the disc might be needed but I don't think rewritable discs are finalizable. Both these players are 5 years old so maybe that's the issue. Any suggestions?
Ritek BDXL are meant for data. Use Verbatim BDXL discs. Discs need to be finalized. I think RE discs can be finalized. If the movie size is < 66gb (only first two layers burned), it will play in Sony 700. Oppo may play 2 layers BD66 or 3 layers BD100 but I don't have one to test.

Tech1e, thanks for your response. I will try the verbatim discs. Coopervid, you are 100% right. I have moved on from discs for the most part but I enjoy experimenting. All part of the fun with this hobby.

Tech1e, thanks for your response. I will try the verbatim discs. Coopervid, you are 100% right. I have moved on from discs for the most part but I enjoy experimenting. All part of the fun with this hobby.
Read this. I think you will find it interesting:

Back