• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Your AnyDVD version 8.5.0.2 is too old. Please upgrade. Version 8.5.8.0 is available

brad_the_dad

Why am I seeing this pop-up/alert?
"too old" for what? AnyDVD still ripped the tracks fine.
I see that the 8.5.0.2 .exe was digitally signed 3 Nov 2020 - so it just had it's one-year birthday.
Does the logic emit that message when the .exe is more than a year old?
If I DL/install 8.5.8.0 will I be prompted to buy yet-another "lifetime subscription"? 2021-11-25 22_57_59-popup_alert.png

No. Why should you?
Just download and install it. I can see no reason for not to update.

why?
Having lifetime licenses for most of the SlySoft/Elby products since 2008 (and RedFox lifetime license for AnyDVD HD after the 2016 SlySoft demise)
and never having seen that alert message in the last 13 years, I'm wondering why I'm seeing that message now.

For AmyStream they did it because there might be a critical error in the older version or because the older version can not handle a new DRM scheme when the provider updated it.
But for AnyDVD, the devs have to say why.
If it is not because of an error, then just because it is already one year old. Of course it is your decision, but for myself I cannot see any reason to use such an old version when they update it frequently.

It's probably just a "poorly" worded phrasing. It's not that your AnyDVD version is "too" old; it's just that's it's old. I can't see a reason why you'd need to update, but you should. Well, maybe to get rid of that pop up. And you won't need to buy another license or an update to yours if its the lifetime one.

Updated to 8.5.8.0 and nothing caught on fire ;)
(sorry to have been a nervous ninny, but I hadn't seen that message before)

Updated to 8.5.8.0 and nothing caught on fire ;)
(sorry to have been a nervous ninny, but I hadn't seen that message before)
Neither did I. :)
It is a message generated by the "online protection database" server. For ... "security reasons" it doesn't allow AnyDVD versions < 8.5.6.0 to connect.

James> It is a message generated by the "online protection database" server. For ... "security reasons" it doesn't allow AnyDVD versions < 8.5.6.0 to connect.

Ivan> I've set the min_version to 8.5.6.0 when uploaded 8.5.8.0 to our server last Monday....

mystery solved. thanks! as a fellow software developer, I never ascribe to coincidence something that can be explained by the code ;)
.. also, IF you were inclined to disenfranchise current lifetime subscription holders, not allowing the client to connect to the "online protection database" would be a good way to do it. :sneaky:
I was pleasantly surprised that the "rip to tracks" proceeded as normal, despite the alert (y)

In the case of DVD's, I don't BELIEVE the OPD comes into play. Then again, it's been a while since I've played in the DVD space so maybe I'm talking out of turn. The OPD is used when new keys are required for blu-ray and UHD, afaik. For blu-ray, when the keys are retrieved from the OPD they are cached locally. Which is yet another reason why it's always a good idea to scan all your discs with AnyDVD when you buy them. :) For UHD that is not currently the case and will require the OPD to be connected each time you scan the disc. For DVD, as mentioned, I think it's all done locally. I hope. :)

Back