• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

So now I have a NAS, do you backup yours?

DQ

So as mentioned in a previous thread, due to issues with PC RAID, I was forced to accelerate my plans to get a NAS.

So now I am in the NAS club.

Previously with just normal drives I was backing up the data to a very large external drive. That is how I safeguarded my collection and that served me well through 2 PC RAID failures.

My question to you though is with a sizeable NAS, do you also backup that data to another location?

For now I can continue to do so with my external drive but at some point soon the collection will be too large to backup to a single drive.

I am running RAID 5 now but if the unit itself fails in anyway I would be SOL without a backup.

Thanks.

Well since no one answered I will.

For now I am continuing to use an external USB 3 drive to backup my NAS. Once I outgrow that one I am not sure yet what I will do. I might just break up across multiple external drives.

For now I am continuing to use an external USB 3 drive to backup my NAS. Once I outgrow that one I am not sure yet what I will do. I might just break up across multiple external drives.

I have a QNAP NAS with about 16 TB of movies. I "technically" do not back it up, but I do have a set of USB 3 drives that when I put a movie on the NAS I also put a copy of that movie on a USB 3 drive. That way I "technically" never have to do the actual backup. I also hope and pray that I never have a total failure of the NAS. I would hate to have to restore 16 TB over USB 3. That would take a very long time...

Reactions: DQ
I have a QNAP NAS with about 16 TB of movies. I "technically" do not back it up, but I do have a set of USB 3 drives that when I put a movie on the NAS I also put a copy of that movie on a USB 3 drive. That way I "technically" never have to do the actual backup. I also hope and pray that I never have a total failure of the NAS. I would hate to have to restore 16 TB over USB 3. That would take a very long time...

Actually it's not as bad as you might think. I am backing up about 11TB to a USB 3 drive now. It takes the bulk of a day but it's a solid backup. But I like you fear the RAID fail so I will continue backups.

Actually it's not as bad as you might think. I am backing up about 11TB to a USB 3 drive now. It takes the bulk of a day but it's a solid backup. But I like you fear the RAID fail so I will continue backups.

I am actually on my 5th hard drive for my copy, (Two-3TB, Two-4TB and One-5TB). I by far trust my NAS over these drives. I am on my second QNAP NAS, The first was at TS-670 Pro and my new one is a TVS-871. The original TS I had just put a bunch of spare drives in, (no RAID). In my new one I have Eight - 6TB Enterprise NAS Drives in (RAID 5). That's almost 38 TB of useable space and it has a 4GB connection back to my network. It also has 2 TB of SSD for cache on two M.2 SSD's. I am hoping this one last me years. I just need to slow down saving stuff to PLEX. By the way, this NAS also runs my PLEX server. :)

For now, I am continuing to use an external USB 3 drive to backup my NAS. Once I outgrow that one I am not sure yet what I will do. I might just break up across multiple external drives.
Where the heck did you find a USB drive that can hold that much data? Totally awesome DQ, I had no idea they even made them close to that size. I saw a 4Tb one but it was really expensive.

Where the heck did you find a USB drive that can hold that much data? Totally awesome DQ, I had no idea they even made them close to that size. I saw a 4Tb one but it was really expensive.
Single USB3 drives go up to 18TB at about $500. There are RAID0 USB3 drives at 36TB with two drives that show 36TB at about $1000. Pretty amazing. My first hard drive in my XT compatible PC had 30MB. So factor 1 million less than these goodies today :whistle:.

200 Euros in Euroland if you go with geizhals.eu. Similar to Pricegrabber in the US.

But we were talking about USB3 hard disks not SSDs. That's a different story and much lower cost at high capacities.

Mine came from Amazon :p It's a 16TB WD drive.

I am actually on my 5th hard drive for my copy, (Two-3TB, Two-4TB and One-5TB). I by far trust my NAS over these drives. I am on my second QNAP NAS, The first was at TS-670 Pro and my new one is a TVS-871. The original TS I had just put a bunch of spare drives in, (no RAID). In my new one I have Eight - 6TB Enterprise NAS Drives in (RAID 5). That's almost 38 TB of useable space and it has a 4GB connection back to my network. It also has 2 TB of SSD for cache on two M.2 SSD's. I am hoping this one last me years. I just need to slow down saving stuff to PLEX. By the way, this NAS also runs my PLEX server. :)

Mine is a TS-653D. I tried SSD caching but it did not seem to help. In fact it only seems to slow iSCSI. I run Plex on a dedicated PC right now most for the stronger cpu/gpu and because I use a tuner card.

I have a twin HDD NAS drive with two 4tb drives inside and these are set as Raid 1 which only gives me 4tb of space but writes to each disc with the same data so no need to back up as if one fails my data is all there on the second HDD. Only down side is it loses the other 4tb of storage space but everytings kept safe. I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger 4 bay drive in the future but again will stick to the Raid 1 setup

Raid 1 is as useless as raid 0. Both can fail with zero possibility of backup, if both drives happen to fail. Usefulness starts with raid 5, if you get a 4 port might was well go to raid 5 instead of 1.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Raid 1 is as useless as raid 0. Both can fail with zero possibility of backup, if both drives happen to fail. Usefulness starts with raid 5, if you get a 4 port might was well go to raid 5 instead of 1.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Actually there is a difference. RAID 0 is striping across drives without any parity info so it's actually negative redundancy. Any drive loss and you lose your data. RAID 1 is mirroring and can at least stand to lose 1 drive so it is some form of redundancy which is why it gets used in RAID 10.

But to your point, I think RAID 5 is the most efficient when it comes to disk space and having good redundancy. RAID 10 performs better than 5 of course but you lose half the disks to a mirror.

Oh right, you learn something new everday (y)
As DQ said Raid 1 can stand for one to fail and I've never had 2 drives go at the same time during my 20yrs of using computers so there is some protection, will look at the Raid 5 when I get the new NAS then:)

Back