• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Extreme read error on GoT disc (smile of the day?)

mbarnstijn

This UHD disc was throwing some read errors in my normal rip-to-NAS process, so I set AnyDVD to ripping in protected mode and told it to continue when the first error happened. AnyDVD slowed down to 0.6 MB/s rip speed and finally completed after almost 2 days. I wasn't there when the rip completed late at night.

When I got to my computer yesterday morning there was a loud grinding sound coming from the optical drive, so I immediately powered it off. However, I couldn't manually open the disc tray.

I disassembled the drive this morning and found the cause of the read error, see the photo...
Blowed up real good.png

:ROFLMAO:

Anyone got a spare S5D3 disc I can borrow?

--michael

Maybe I can glue it back together, what do you think? There will be a few gaps, but I've been told that consumer disc players will skip over errors so that you'd hardly notice. :whistle:

Has anyone else ever had a commercial disc disintegrate inside an optical drive? This was certainly a first for me.

--michael

I've heard of optical discs exploding in drives, but years since i've heard/seen that happen. Hope your actual drive is ok. Contact Warner Bros - just tell them your disc was scratched up or not reading. They've been good about saying they'll send a replacement.

I don't expect the drive to function again. There are shredded bits of plastic and aluminum throughout the case, so there are possible electrical issues, and the glimpse I can get of the laser leads me to believe the mounting is damaged. I have spare friendly drives ready just in case, so I'm not going to be without a drive. I just wasn't expecting this kind of explosion to be the cause of a failure!

I am planning on contacting Warner. I'll show them the picture and might see if I can extract more of the disc out of the drive so they can clearly see which disc it is. Maybe that isn't necessary, but I'll enjoy disassembling the drive, which has given me something new to do during lockdown.

--michael

Good Lord. Those discs definitely sucked in quality. I had to get my set replaced. They better replace it for you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I emailed a request for a replacement disc to Warner (whv@wb.com, subject: Home Video - DVD / Blu-ray Support), along with two photos of the interior of the drive showing the bits and pieces. I got a response within 11 minutes saying they would ship me a replacement disc as soon as possible.

Nice! :thankyou: to Warner Brothers for their quick and decisive response.

Cheers,

--michael

I'm still waiting for my LOTR discs so while they're quick to respond, it'll be nice to see them follow through for both of us.

Back