• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Merge items from two different BD releases, doable?

jcl123

Hello all,

I have two BD sets (it's Ghost in the Shell SAC), one from Japan and one from the UK.
- The Japanese release has the best video, but no subs and only DD for the English dub
- The UK release has great subs and DTS-HD MA audio for both languages, but so-so video, not as bad as the US release, but not as good as the Japanese or Korean releases.

Would it be possible to combine these into one set with the best video, audio, and subs? Could Clone BD do this or would I need other tools?

Note that, I don't need to create discs, that would be cool but I don't know how hard it would be. My BD player can play BDMV folders on USB or network drives. Even single-file formats would be OK, but I am not sure if the DTS-MA tracks can be preserved that way.

Thanks

-Jeff

CloneBD: no
Other tools: no idea

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I have two BD sets (it's Ghost in the Shell SAC), one from Japan and one from the UK.
- The Japanese release has the best video, but no subs and only DD for the English dub
- The UK release has great subs and DTS-HD MA audio for both languages, but so-so video, not as bad as the US release, but not as good as the Japanese or Korean releases.

Would it be possible to combine these into one set with the best video, audio, and subs? Could Clone BD do this or would I need other tools?

Note that, I don't need to create discs, that would be cool but I don't know how hard it would be. My BD player can play BDMV folders on USB or network drives. Even single-file formats would be OK, but I am not sure if the DTS-MA tracks can be preserved that way.

Thanks

-Jeff

Yes, it is possible. It requires a demuxer and a remuxer. A bit technical but I’d be happy to guide you through locating the tools and how to use them if you want to put in the extra effort.

The simple version is to have two optical drives in same PC and use tsmuxerGui to pull parts from each disk. The complications get into if they have same video, audio and subtitles timing marks.

Thanks very much for the reply

Yes, it is possible. It requires a demuxer and a remuxer. A bit technical but I’d be happy to guide you through locating the tools and how to use them if you want to put in the extra effort.
When you say demuxer and remuxer, does that mean you would be altering the video, or just describing the process of moving the various streams in/out of the M2TS container file?

The simple version is to have two optical drives in same PC and use tsmuxerGui to pull parts from each disk. The complications get into if they have same video, audio and subtitles timing marks.
Could you accomplish the same thing by ripping them to ISO and just using two virtual clone drive instances?

I was looking at DVDFab and one of their products looks like it might be almost tailor-made for this, I don't know how that compares to what you are proposing though.

Wow, tsmuxerGui actually looks like it might be really cool! Sounds like exactly the tool to deal with the possible differences between the two disks, such as if you have to adjust the timing of the audio or subtitles.

Do you think this is the best way to do it? I am willing to try it.

-JCL

When you say demuxer and remuxer, does that mean you would be altering the video, or just describing the process of moving the various streams in/out of the M2TS container file?

Muxing means the second part (repackaging streams into container). Transcoding is the first part (altering video).

Could you accomplish the same thing by ripping them to ISO and just using two virtual clone drive instances?

Yes

I was looking at DVDFab and one of their products looks like it might be almost tailor-made for this, I don't know how that compares to what you are proposing though.

Wow, tsmuxerGui actually looks like it might be really cool! Sounds like exactly the tool to deal with the possible differences between the two disks, such as if you have to adjust the timing of the audio or subtitles.

-JCL

Best way depends on your goal. TSmuxer is free, DVDFab is not. Also if you save files to different formats instead of .iso (like .mkv) you can use MKVToolNix as well.

-JCL

Tsmuxer does not does not alter the audio or video. a BD is one to many transport streams M2TS. A TS contains a mixture of video, audio and subtitle tracks. The demuxer reads the TS and creates individual files for each track. The muxer takes the induvualntracks and reassembles them into a m2TS. A little more complicated is that many most moving are built with a playlist which is a series of TS.

Yees, you can rip the disc to iso files and mount them with virtual drive and get the same results as two drives. I’ve done this on many ocasssions. There is a team working to upgrade tsmuxer to read UHD disks and they have made tremendous progress but for this you can use tried and true 2.6.12. https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR. Tsmuxer is a command line tool. Tsmuxergui provides a clean interface. Yes it can accomplish the task. I’ve used it many times to combine the video from BD with the Dolby Atmos audio from a UHD. Also added subtitles to movies with no English subtitles like Free Solo. Someone had hand created subtitles and they just needed timing adjusted.

There is another tool called Blu ray ripper that can be used that combines eac3to as demux and tsmuxer as muxer. It has agrezt interface but may be overkill to get started. It is located at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25w69pxf0upmmur/AAAISyvF4vqRSQDe4l27pcrka?dl=0 CloneBD, BRR, tsmuxerGui and makemkv are my go to tools. I use makemkv and mkvtoolnix to rip tv series to individual files. Also a fantastic tool. Each have a learning curve.

You can create the output as iso file and burn to BD disc if you got a BD write drive. There is a tool imgburn that is free but is now bundled with all kinds of crapware to malware. You can extract the program from installer using 7zip or we can find another method to get a clean copy to you.

DM me if you want assistance as I don’t visit forum that often.

Last edited:
Muxing means the second part (repackaging streams into container). Transcoding is the first part (altering video).

Yes

Best way depends on your goal. TSmuxer is free, DVDFab is not. Also if you save files to different formats instead of .iso (like .mkv) you can use MKVToolNix as well.

OK, looks like I actually have a couple options here. As soon as the other discs arrive I will just have to play around with it and see how difficult (or not) it turns out to be.

I am staying away from .mkv because it's my understanding that it does not support the high end sound formats such as TrueHD and so forth. This is important because I am setting up a theater that can do that.

Tsmuxer does not does not alter the audio or video. a BD is one to many transport streams M2TS. A TS contains a mixture of video, audio and subtitle tracks. The demuxer reads the TS and creates individual files for each track. The muxer takes the induvualntracks and reassembles them into a m2TS. A little more complicated is that many most moving are built with a playlist which is a series of TS.
Thank you for the explanation.

Yees, you can rip the disc to iso files and mount them with virtual drive and get the same results as two drives. I’ve done this on many ocasssions. There is a team working to upgrade tsmuxer to read UHD disks and they have made tremendous progress but for this you can use tried and true 2.6.12. https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR. Tsmuxer is a command line tool. Tsmuxergui provides a clean interface. Yes it can accomplish the task. I’ve used it many times to combine the video from BD with the Dolby Atmos audio from a UHD. Also added subtitles to movies with no English subtitles like Free Solo. Someone had hand created subtitles and they just needed timing adjusted.
OK, understood.

There is another tool called Blu ray ripper that can be used that combines eac3to as demux and tsmuxer as muxer. It has agrezt interface but may be overkill to get started. It is located at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25w69pxf0upmmur/AAAISyvF4vqRSQDe4l27pcrka?dl=0 CloneBD, BRR, tsmuxerGui and makemkv are my go to tools. I use makemkv and mkvtoolnix to rip tv series to individual files. Also a fantastic tool. Each have a learning curve.
Thank you for this, wow lots of options.

You can create the output as iso file and burn to BD disc if you got a BD write drive. There is a tool imgburn that is free but is now bundled with all kinds of crapware to malware. You can extract the program from installer using 7zip or we can find another method to get a clean copy to you.
My Blu-Ray player is capable of playing BDMV if I put it on a usb drive, I will probably do that just to test and make sure I got it before burning to disc. I have used imgburn, it looks like you can forgo the crapware if you are careful to uncheck them as you run the install.

DM me if you want assistance as I don’t visit forum that often.
Well, I appreciate you taking the time to chime in. I wasn't sure this was the right forum, I thought maybe ppl would send me over to videohelp or something.

I will do my best to try and get it working, so that I can come back with specific questions if I run into trouble.

Hopefully it doesn't need allot of messing with fiddly bits or applying ramps to the subs or something like that. The other danger is that it could turn out that there are minor differences between the two versions of the show I am combining that would throw things off.

I do have an LG BD burner and a bunch of BD50 blanks ready.

-JCL

I am staying away from .mkv because it's my understanding that it does not support the high end sound formats such as TrueHD and so forth. This is important because I am setting up a theater that can do that.

This is not correct. MKV supports TrueHD (also with Atmos) and DTS:X (like Atmos). It now also supports Dolby Vision too.

Maybe you are confusing with MP4?

This is not correct. MKV supports TrueHD (also with Atmos) and DTS:X (like Atmos). It now also supports Dolby Vision too.

Maybe you are confusing with MP4?
Well, OK, good to know. If I have a reason to do that vs. BDMV or burning my own disks then maybe I will try it.
It's possible that MKV can do it, but maybe my BD player can't do that with MKV, I don't know.

Just wondering how you made out with this? It's very common in the anime world, and even with regular movie remuxs. They are called a hybrid release, meaning combining two or more sources to one mkv. Just be aware that the English dub track almost never syncs with jpbd video. You'll need to offset the audio normally after part b, but it could be anywhere. If your splitting frames it also has to be on an I frame directly following a p frame.

Just wondering how you made out with this? It's very common in the anime world, and even with regular movie remuxs. They are called a hybrid release, meaning combining two or more sources to one mkv. Just be aware that the English dub track almost never syncs with jpbd video. You'll need to offset the audio normally after part b, but it could be anywhere. If your splitting frames it also has to be on an I frame directly following a p frame.
Hello, first let me say how much I appreciate you following up on this thread, thank you.

So, literally, the BD set from the UK arrived just a couple days ago, took almost two months to get here, crazy.

So, I have them, and I was going to circle back here after x-mas, but since you were nice enough to follow up, I thought I would chime in and let you know what is going on. I would also like to try a similar thing with the 4K Innocence BD, adding audio/subs from the non-4K edition.

The result I am looking for is either burning them to finished discs, or on a USB drive because my player supports that.

Hopefully it is not to painful/tedious to adjust the audio as you describe.

-JCL

OK, so I have the two BDs ripped to BDMV folders, and looking them over with BDInfo.

Unfortunately, one of them uses one giant M2TS file, whereas the other breaks it up into episodes.
There are chapter marks, but those do not exactly match up either.

So, I guess I will have to figure out what the process would be for matching these up so that I could line up the audio and subs.

Any suggestions on which direction to go for that?

Thanks

-JCL

Vorschläge, in welche Richtung ich dafür gehen sollte?
Always work via playlist !!!
Use CloneBD to find the corresponding Playlists for both BDs. Extract the Parts you need from one and insert them into the other with the TsM (Demux). Create an iso and play it with VCL Player and use tools / synchronization to determine any temporal offset of Sound and Sub's. (Depending on the total running time and Intro at the Beginning of both versions) If asynchronicity occurs, you can enter the determined values in the TsM, they will then be taken into account when you process the whole thing a second time with the TsM. However, I change the time index for Sub's beforehand with Subtitle Edit ( SubtitleEdit-3.5.17-Setup) and let the TsM only change the time offset of the sound track. The whole process only works under the condition that both BDs have the same refresh rate. You can then proceed as you wish with the created ISO (e.g. create an MKV with CloneBD.)​

Last edited:
I have DVD Fab, while it's not free, it does allow you to merge movie files onto 1 disc. As for merging into a single ISO, I'm not sure, it might do that, but I haven't had the need for it.

Back