• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Blu-Rays with Ryzen 3900X & Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

Well, yes, but I have that Aissesoft player for such a long time now. Some time ago I decided to "clean up" my PC of free players. Some were quite good, such as the Pot Player 64 bis, which would download a codec decoder on the fly. But after a while all of them became useless, too many players and unnecessary disc space waste.

AnyDVD is an incredible software, I can't live without it. I need to play discs for research purposes, and use what I find to write my articles. I never used my PC for home theater and I will probably never will. Instead, I use an Oppo UHD-203, which is also a SACD and DVD Audio player.

Exactly, Films & TV doesn't support 4K Blu-Ray but still works because AnyDVD has decrypted it. Regarding the subtitles etc, yes it has really poor support for those.

The only reason to use Aissesoft with 4K discs is it plays the interactive menu.

Well, in fact I use PowerDVD for media examination because it has full menu support. With 4K HDR media it does a poor job, the picture is rathre dismayed and washed out. My Dell UP3216Q is able to reach 300 nits tops, and will play HDR files with good picture quality, except for HDR peak brightness.

Well, in fact I use PowerDVD for media examination because it has full menu support. With 4K HDR media it does a poor job, the picture is rathre dismayed and washed out. My Dell UP3216Q is able to reach 300 nits tops, and will play HDR files with good picture quality, except for HDR peak brightness.

That's because your monitor does not support HDR!! There are several methods for converting HDR down to SDR for older monitors and TV. Some will produce this washed out effect that you're seeing. Cyberlink will use their own codecs which aren't as good at doing these things. Aiseesoft and MPC-HC will use others which use a different method which solves this issue at the expense of other disadvantages....

Thank you for your infomatioin. I am aware that the Dell is not HDR capable. It is however a profssional monitor that I once purchased to process my photo pictures.

Ok, I'm going to plug my solution then. :D Cause if you want to have a fairly universal platform for watching whatever content you can dream up, JRiver + AnyDVD + madvr is pretty much it. That combination will give you UHD, blu-ray, dvd playback, with menus. And with madvr you can do REALLY high quality tone mapping to SDR of your HDR titles, custom tailored to your max nit level of your SDR display. Let's say you can push out 300 nits on that display (theoretically)...you can customize madvr's dynamic tone mapping to tone map down to 300 nits with proper color conversion. The results are phenomenal. Yes, you can do this with MPC-HC, as well, but, I prefer JRiver's very nice to use interface and library functions.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I was not aware about madvr, it seems quite useful. I might try PotPlayer again, in order to see the results.

On a side note:

Apparently the new version of VLC is also HDR to SDR compliant as well.

I reinstalled Pot Player, just to find out that the 64 bits version does not support madVR (the 32 bits does as renderer), but it does show HDR, which lits up. When you click on it the HDR renderer is disabled and the picture quality becomes washed out, exactly as played back by PowerDVD.

At any rate I am not sure if I am going to keep it, probably not. because the player from Aiseesoft already does the job and lets me grab a snapshot in 4K.

Last edited:
I find that VERY odd that pot player 64 doesn't work with madvr. madvr has a 64 bit version built in so that makes no sense. I'm not familiar with pot player so I can't say for sure but that seems very strange.

Um, you do know that post is from 2014 right? madvr has 64 bit available so it most definitely will work now.

Well, I will try again, but anyhow the player itself renders HDR beautifully. Perhaps, more importantly is that it does the job by itself.

Back