• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Keep Protection w/ BD ISOs

Shadow Lord

Hello,

In the past, IIRC, the recommendation was to keep the protection when making ISO backups of BD/HD disks. As long as AnyDVD is running there would be no issues with playback in the future and in case something was updated new versions would handle it. Is this still the recommendation?

The reason I ask is because I find myself increasingly trying to play back from backups on non windows OSes (MacOS and Chrome/Android for example) which do not have the benefit of being able to run AnyDVD. Is it safe to make ISO backups of HD/BD discs w/o the protection? TIA!

You certainly can but any options you enable in anydvd at the time of iso creation are what you end up with. E. G. If you enable speed menu, that is what the iso will always have. Additionally, if the disc has screen pass protection that isn't handled correctly at the time the iso is made, the unprotected iso would not be fixable. If you are wanting to make unprotected isos, my advice would be to set what options you want in anydvd and test that the disc is working in real time, then when you are happy with whatever options you want, make the iso.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hello,

In the past, IIRC, the recommendation was to keep the protection when making ISO backups of BD/HD disks. As long as AnyDVD is running there would be no issues with playback in the future and in case something was updated new versions would handle it. Is this still the recommendation?

The reason I ask is because I find myself increasingly trying to play back from backups on non windows OSes (MacOS and Chrome/Android for example) which do not have the benefit of being able to run AnyDVD. Is it safe to make ISO backups of HD/BD discs w/o the protection? TIA!
You certainly can but any options you enable in anydvd at the time of iso creation are what you end up with. E. G. If you enable speed menu, that is what the iso will always have. Additionally, if the disc has screen pass protection that isn't handled correctly at the time the iso is made, the unprotected iso would not be fixable. If you are wanting to make unprotected isos, my advice would be to set what options you want in anydvd and test that the disc is working in real time, then when you are happy with whatever options you want, make the iso.

Also, Shadow Lord, there's always the option of making one of each. :)

I've mentioned before on the Forum that I do this for UHD all the time. Because UHD decryption requires an Internet connection, I make an unprotected UHD backup to work should the Internet or AnyDVD server be unavailable and a protected backup to "roll with" any changes in AnyDVD decryption for the disc.

For Blu-Ray I make two backups for other reasons (to put on different Hard Drives in case one has Drive Failure) but usually make two protected .iso's. Unless, as SamuriHL mentions, I actually want to lock in AnyDVD settings for that disc. Then I'll make a protected and unprotected backup.

If for space or some other consideration, you don't want to have dual backups, I would make a protected backup and spin off unprotected copies from that "on demand as needed".

Easy to make an unprotected backup from a protected one, and really quick because the rip source is already on Hard Drive. If you want to save space, delete the unprotected .iso when no longer needed.

T

O.k. Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I had consider the dual backup option but space becomes an issue with 50gb isos (my home made NAS has an insane amount of space but 50gb a disc eats things up fast) and I don't even have UHD! Also making an unprotected backup and watching it all the way through, while the gold standard, is just way too time consuming. I was hoping things had evolved enough that you could make an unprotected backup and not worry. I may have to have a hybrid routine - anytime I want to watch a BD I can make an unprotected copy from the ISO and if after watching it everything looks kosher I can replace the protected ISO w/ the unprotected one.

... space becomes an issue with 50gb isos ... and I don't even have UHD!

Don't I know it!

With Blu-Rays, UHD's and the dual system, I'm buying a new 8T Hard Drive about every 2 months!

Sheeesh.

But I feel it's worth it!

I was hoping things had evolved enough that you could make an unprotected backup and not worry.

Generally you don't have to worry too much but -- especially with ScreenPass -- there is always a small chance that the decryption you locked in when the unprotected .iso was made had to be fine-tuned when an issue was discovered at a later time.

I may have to have a hybrid routine - anytime I want to watch a BD I can make an unprotected copy from the ISO and if after watching it everything looks kosher I can replace the protected ISO w/ the unprotected one.

So you'll create a second unprotected .iso on-demand, but when you confirm the unprotected .iso for a title is 100% A-OK, the protected one gets the boot? :=)

Sounds like a plan, Shadow Lord.

Good luck!

T

Get 10/12 or 14TB ones then? They do exist. I got 3 10TB ones in my rig

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Get 10/12 or 14TB ones then? They do exist. I got 3 10TB ones in my rig

Worth looking into.

Last time I checked though the price normalized per Terabyte for 10, 12, 14 T's was higher than for 8.

But that was some months ago. I'll check again.

T

Just avoid ones with SMR technology (maybe you read about that)

Code:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/caveat-emptor-smr-disks-are-being-submarined-into-unexpected-channels/
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/309730-western-digital-comes-clean-shares-which-hard-drives-use-smr

But from what I can currently find SMR doesn't apply below 8TB

Any of those drives are asking for trouble. They are all nitrogen filled AFAIK. There is no way to keep the nitrogen from leaking out. They will all eventually crash. I stick to a traditional RAID 6 setup w/ 20 4 TB HDDs for the NAS. Even then I worry because the build times on such a large drive are so long that another drive could potentially fail during the rebuild (14 hours the last time I checked). I am thinking of moving off of HW raid and straight on to SW RAID which povides more options for redundancy.The best option would be SSDs in RAID - used as a mostly like a WORM they should last forever, be superfast, and rebuild times would be much less.

nitrogen? Not even close. My 3 10TB drive ones are helium filled. Perfectly fine.

nitrogen? Not even close. My 3 10TB drive ones are helium filled. Perfectly fine.

Sorry had just finished watching something on a car show and had Nitrogen on the mind LOL! Yes helium. The helium will leak out.

Hasn't so far, doubt it ever will. What do you propose they use then? Standard atmospheric oxygen? That's too to dense a material compared to helium with these ever expanding drive sizes. The air volume is 'too big' to be used anymore in large HDD sizes.

The helium isn't going to leak. It's not like a balloon. It's highly sealed. It's the equivalent of saying "I don't believe in AIO cooling on a PC because it might leak." Um. No.

In the old days they just used air. Helium will leak even through the metal case. The argument out there is that you would replace the drive because it grew out of space, failed due to other reasons, became unusable in newer systems (e.g. interface change), etc. before the helium leaked enough for it to make a difference. This is true in a data center where they have short schedules of changing out all their drives well before their life span runs out. As a home user I don't replace a drive until it fails - which by that point is either too late unless you have a recovery plan (RAID with limitations as outlined above) or backups (in this case my original DVD/BDs). If you expect to be able to be using this drive 10 years from now good luck. On the other hand I have MFM drives that are still working from 1982....

It's not going to matter in 10 years. Within 5 all these magnetic drives will be replaced. And the idea that ANY magnetic drive is somehow "reliable" is a laughable concept. I've had more drives die than I care to think about, including 4TB NAS drives. I don't rely on any one drive to survive. Leaking helium is the least of my concerns.

Don't I know it!
With Blu-Rays, UHD's and the dual system, I'm buying a new 8T Hard Drive about every 2 months!
Sheeesh.
But I feel it's worth it!

I would invest in a NAS like QNAP or Synology for example. There ae several options available. Take your time to decide though.

I have a QNAP TS-851 with 60TB and 8GB of RAM (Max unfortunately) and I can easily stream my Blu-ray backups using the Infuse App from any of my Apple devices.

What I do...

1. Backup movie only using CloneBD.
    • Saves a great deal of space on crap I'll never watch. I select only the HD/DTS English audio and deselect all others. I don't even keep the 2.0 English; it's pointless.
    • Instead of 50GB full backups, my movie only backups average 25.7 GB per BD.
  2. Robocopy movies to my NAS (Multimedia > BD > [movie]) I separate my DVD9.
  3. Stream them for family viewing on AppleTV 4K.
    • Infuse App is needed to stream BD and DVD backups without needing to convert them.
    • Works great on all of our iDevices.
    • Infuse tip: install free version and test; use In-App purchase to choose lifetime. If you buy the other app, you only get that version.

I would invest in a NAS like QNAP or Synology for example. There ae several options available. Take your time to decide though.

I have a QNAP TS-851 with 60TB and 8GB of RAM (Max unfortunately) and I can easily stream my Blu-ray backups using the Infuse App from any of my Apple devices.

What I do...

1. Backup movie only using CloneBD.
    • Saves a great deal of space on crap I'll never watch. I select only the HD/DTS English audio and deselect all others. I don't even keep the 2.0 English; it's pointless.
    • Instead of 50GB full backups, my movie only backups average 25.7 GB per BD.
  2. Robocopy movies to my NAS (Multimedia > BD > [movie]) I separate my DVD9.
  3. Stream them for family viewing on AppleTV 4K.
    • Infuse App is needed to stream BD and DVD backups without needing to convert them.
    • Works great on all of our iDevices.
    • Infuse tip: install free version and test; use In-App purchase to choose lifetime. If you buy the other app, you only get that version.

Thanks for your suggestions, zero269!

I really do like extras so I tend to keep the entire original disc as a backup.

I pay in space though as I mentioned before. I easily currently have over 240T in stored Media, distributed around my Network in numerous 8T Hard Drive. LOL!

I've come to just accept it.

Unfortunately, I'm not an Apple person.

In fact, much closer to anti-Apple.

I think I soured on Apple back when I bought an Ipod and it wouldn't let me load in my then .mp3 collection like other mp3 players. But instead insisted I use iTunes.

That was it for me, I was out. :)

Guess I haven't warmed up to Apple since.

Glad you mentioned Robocopy.

I wasn't familiar so looked it up.

That's something I will definitely use.

(y)

T

Robocopy is a godsend.

Back