• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Blu-Rays with Ryzen 3900X & Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

You can't play UHD Blu-rays using AnyDVD with a non-SGX-capable CPU. I recently built a Ryzen 9 3950x system and ran into this exact issue. Using an LG WH16NS40 drive I can go hook up to my i9 9900k machine and play UHD Blu-rays using PowerDVD 18.

Yes you can if you use MPC-HC or JRiver Media Centre. You can't if you use PowerDVD < v20

I wish the asshats here would STFU & stop their idiotic lies about Intel CPU needed for UHD. You DO NOT need Intel nor Windows 10 to run UHD. That is an industry lie being spread & supported by both Intel, Microsoft & the Bluray consortium. We have hundreds of BDXL burners that read/write 100/128GB media with ZERO issues but the industry no longer makes those type drives available anymore. Why do you think? They don't want the average user to be able to rip UHD movies with ease. Sole reason.

We have been running our business for 45+ years & for the last few decades, we have been running 4k on our AMD CPU for the entire time. Since UHD came out, we also run commercial UHD on AMD CPU. Just because you don't have the skillset nor the know how to build your own drivers & utilize resources out there to do so doesn't mean others can't do it. I am fed up with all the lies from misinformed users about 4K UHD so I am going to finally release my info in these forums about my 4K journey.

@eviltester, watch the language please.

Forum rule 1:

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, yelling, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

That said you need to re-read things. The key thing here is ENCRYPTED (original) content with PowerDVD, and in that case. Yes you need an intel PC. PowerDVD hardcodes the SGX requirement to play UHD, and SGX is NOT available on amd CPU's.

PowerDVD UHD system requirements

Code:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19881

That doesn't mean there arent other ways to play ENCRYPTED content, but it's not gonna work with PowerDVD on amd systems

@eviltester, watch the language please.

Forum rule 1:

That said you need to re-read things. The key thing here is ENCRYPTED (original) content with PowerDVD, and in that case. Yes you need an intel PC. PowerDVD hardcodes the SGX requirement to play UHD, and SGX is NOT available on amd CPU's.

PowerDVD UHD system requirements

Code:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19881

That doesn't mean there arent other ways to play ENCRYPTED content, but it's not gonna work with PowerDVD on amd systems

Ahhh thanks for clarifying. I was just about to ask because PowerDVD 20 no longer requires SGX for playingh decrypted discs. Previously we had to use JRiver Media Centre to play UHD discs with the disc's menus. PowerDVD 20 now works too. However, if I try to plan an encrypted disc, the screen remains black due to the lack of SGX. On versions < PowerDVD 20 playing decrypted discs still resulted in a black screen.

I wish the asshats here would STFU & stop their idiotic lies about Intel CPU needed for UHD. You DO NOT need Intel nor Windows 10 to run UHD. That is an industry lie being spread & supported by both Intel, Microsoft & the Bluray consortium. We have hundreds of BDXL burners that read/write 100/128GB media with ZERO issues but the industry no longer makes those type drives available anymore. Why do you think? They don't want the average user to be able to rip UHD movies with ease. Sole reason.

We have been running our business for 45+ years & for the last few decades, we have been running 4k on our AMD CPU for the entire time. Since UHD came out, we also run commercial UHD on AMD CPU. Just because you don't have the skillset nor the know how to build your own drivers & utilize resources out there to do so doesn't mean others can't do it. I am fed up with all the lies from misinformed users about 4K UHD so I am going to finally release my info in these forums about my 4K journey.

Yes, you may be quite right regarding Intel.

A couple of days ago I replaced my AMD CPU with the 9 3900X model, in a Crosshair VII, X470 board. I use the LG WH16NS40 since I built my PC, but was never able to play a 4K Blu-Ray.

When the new PlayStation was announced Sony stated that they included a UHD drive and it would be able to play UHD Blu-Ray commercial discs. However the PS5 is built with an AMD Zen 2 CPU. How come?

I then decided to run some tests, and quickly found out that I could also play 4K discs as well, by using Cyberlink PowerDVD 20 + AnyDVD HD (version 8.4.9.0). If I disable AnyDVD the discs will not play. At this point PowerDVD will detect the lack of SGE and suggest to install it. The installation will abort due to the lack of a Kaby Lake CPU. But if I run AnyDVD again the discs will play.

Until I read this thread I had no idea that AnyDVD could impact 4K discs playback. Clearly, this not related solely to PowerDVD because I also use Aiseesoft's Blu-Ray player succesfully, and it also allows me to capture pictures from the disc in full UHD resolution.

Since the limitations of playback are due to SGE and Intel's Kaby Lake, the latter may not be necessary at all, as you experience indicates. And possibly there should be a workaround of SGE using AnyDVD or similar software, as my tests indicate. Either way it works now. I don't need my PC to play discs but I frequently need to get reference material from discs, and therefore being capable of using my system with 4K discs is to me very useful.

Thanks for your information.

Yes, you may be quite right regarding Intel.

A couple of days ago I replaced my AMD CPU with the 9 3900X model, in a Crosshair VII, X470 board. I use the LG WH16NS40 since I built my PC, but was never able to play a 4K Blu-Ray.

When the new PlayStation was announced Sony stated that they included a UHD drive and it would be able to play UHD Blu-Ray commercial discs. However the PS5 is built with an AMD Zen 2 CPU. How come?

I then decided to run some tests, and quickly found out that I could also play 4K discs as well, by using Cyberlink PowerDVD 20 + AnyDVD HD (version 8.4.9.0). If I disable AnyDVD the discs will not play. At this point PowerDVD will detect the lack of SGE and suggest to install it. The installation will abort due to the lack of a Kaby Lake CPU. But if I run AnyDVD again the discs will play.

Until I read this thread I had no idea that AnyDVD could impact 4K discs playback. Clearly, this not related solely to PowerDVD because I also use Aiseesoft's Blu-Ray player succesfully, and it also allows me to capture pictures from the disc in full UHD resolution.

Since the limitations of playback are due to SGE and Intel's Kaby Lake, the latter may not be necessary at all, as you experience indicates. And possibly there should be a workaround of SGE using AnyDVD or similar software, as my tests indicate. Either way it works now. I don't need my PC to play discs but I frequently need to get reference material from discs, and therefore being capable of using my system with 4K discs is to me very useful.

Thanks for your information.

>When the new PlayStation was announced Sony stated that they included a UHD drive and it would be able to play UHD Blu-Ray commercial discs. However the PS5 is built with an AMD Zen 2 CPU. How come?

That's because the SGX requirement is enforced by Cyberlink PowerDVD, it has nothing to do with UHD Blu-Ray.

Cyberlink's products only require SGX if you're playing from an encrypted disc. If AnyDVD HD already decrypts the data then PowerDVD will not enforce the SGX requirement. This only applies to PowerDVD v19 and up.

Yes, I understand that but it does not completely rule out the possibility that the Intel chip is not required for playback. I am still to fully realize what is going on. So far, I had no idea that AnyDVD is able to bypass SGX.

At any rate, thanks for the input

Yes, I understand that but it does not completely rule out the possibility that the Intel chip is not required for playback. I am still to fully realize what is going on. So far, I had no idea that AnyDVD is able to bypass SGX.

At any rate, thanks for the input

No problem.

Here are some facts to help clear things up:

1. AnyDVD cannot bypass SGX. It has nothing to do with SGX.
  2. SGX is a Cyberlink PowerDVD requirement when playing encrypted discs.
  3. Intel chip IS REQUIRED for SGX!!!, because SGX is an Intel technology.
  4. If you can get your playback software to work without requiring SGX then yes you can use non Intel systems.
  5. If you need a software that can play UHD discs w/o SGX then try "JRiver Media Center"

Intel SGX is NOT required to play UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Intel SGX is required to play using Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Interesting, thank you, but still confusing, because I have read elsewhere reports of people using Intel processors and SGX enabled boards without being able to play a 4K discs, even with the correct disc drives.

I might have to point out that I was never able to play my UHD commercial disks on my PC, and I always thought that it was due to the lack of Kaby Lake and SGX. But now AnyDVD HD lets me play those discs and the only PC component that I replaced was the CPU, which coincides with the Zen 2 processor used in the new PS5. If I exit AnyDVD then, and only then, PowerDVD 20 will complain the lack of SGX. This is, according to your explanation, correct. But one should therefore assume that AnyDVD is in fact removing protection codes of some kind from the disc that will defeat the need for SGX. The same must apply to the PS5 players, soon the launched.

More interestingly I can now also play those UHD discs through Aissesoft's Blu-Ray Player software, which was never meant for 4K optical media.

Also, if SGX is CPU-driven and requires an Intel Kaby Lake processor on board support, then UHD BDV could not be played by other systems, regardless of having AMD Zen 2 on board.

As I said, to me nothing is certain up to this point, and I might very well be completely wrong. What I do now for sure is that I can play 4K discs using AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD on a Ryzen Zen 2 machine. Go figure...

I don't know why people keep making this so confusing. It's really, truly, NOT confusing AT ALL.

Disc == AACS 2.x protected, SGX is required for playback
Disc == NOT AACS 2.x protected, SGX is NOT required for playback

Given that AnyDVD removes the AACS protection in real time, you can see why playback works without requiring SGX.

<commentary>
SGX SUCKS. I have a fully compliant system and wasn't able to get it to work until a full windows reinstall and even then it's still touchy.
</commentary>

Free your content from the protection and forget SGX ever existed.

P.S. You absolutely can not equate the PS5 to a PC. SGX is an intel thing on the PC. It has no bearing whatsoever on a console. They have their own protection and UHD will play just fine on a PS5.

Interesting, thank you, but still confusing, because I have read elsewhere reports of people using Intel processors and SGX enabled boards without being able to play a 4K discs, even with the correct disc drives.

I might have to point out that I was never able to play my UHD commercial disks on my PC, and I always thought that it was due to the lack of Kaby Lake and SGX. But now AnyDVD HD lets me play those discs and the only PC component that I replaced was the CPU, which coincides with the Zen 2 processor used in the new PS5. If I exit AnyDVD then, and only then, PowerDVD 20 will complain the lack of SGX. This is, according to your explanation, correct. But one should therefore assume that AnyDVD is in fact removing protection codes of some kind from the disc that will defeat the need for SGX. The same must apply to the PS5 players, soon the launched.

More interestingly I can now also play those UHD discs through Aissesoft's Blu-Ray Player software, which was never meant for 4K optical media.

Also, if SGX is CPU-driven and requires an Intel Kaby Lake processor on board support, then UHD BDV could not be played by other systems, regardless of having AMD Zen 2 on board.

As I said, to me nothing is certain up to this point, and I might very well be completely wrong. What I do now for sure is that I can play 4K discs using AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD on a Ryzen Zen 2 machine. Go figure...

SGX is NOT CPU-driven. It's an end to end system from your memory, CPU, Motherboard, GPU. You'll need to use the on board integrated GPU to use SGX.

Also you keep mentioning PS5 but the old XBox can also play 4K UHD Discs and that isn't Intel either.

Once again, SGX is NOT a requirement for playing the discs. It's a requirement for using Cyberlink.

P.S. You absolutely can not equate the PS5 to a PC. SGX is an intel thing on the PC. It has no bearing whatsoever on a console. They have their own protection and UHD will play just fine on a PS5.

Of course! Cyberlink mandates SGX to prevent people ripping the movies digitally. There are no such problems on XBox, PS5.

This is why Amazon, Apple, Disney+, Netflix don't support 4K HDR playback on PCs. And sadly I need to use a Fire Stick 4K with my PC monitor to watch 4K movies.

Folks, I just mentioned PS5 because of the announcement that their system uses a Zen 2 AMD processor, and that is coincidentally the same chip archtecture that I recently installed in my PC. I don't have experience with consoles and probably never will, because I don't play games. But it seems to me that the structure of such machines is quite similar to a PC, due to the interaction between CPU and GPU, operating system, etc. Of course, a console design is more akin to a standalone player than a PC, but comparisons can be made.

SGX, to the best of my knowledge, is included in the BIOS and needs to be enabled in an Intel driven motherboard, simply because it was designed by Intel to that effect in a Intel board as a software protection. The Intel CPU encrypts information on a small amount of memory so that it cannot be read withouy permission, but the CPU can only do so if it has a structure that supports SGX. By the way, I have read complaints over the Internet of bugs in the sofware and lack of, in this case, 4K BDV playback on afected BIOS/UEFI.

I understand that Cyberlink took advantage of the SGX scheme in order to allow 4K Blu-Ray playback. Due to the reported bugs I would not be surprised if they decided to ditch SGX. Anyway, assuming, for the sake of the argument, that PowerDVD can only playback commercial, protected media, by resorting to SGX and Kaby Lake, my PC would never be able to play those discs. This is exactly what happened before I replaced my CPU! This is is a fact, not especulation, I tried many times, with different movies. And that made me forget the playback of 4K discs for quite a while, and until now I had no hope that I could ever play a 4K Blu-Ray in my PC.

SGX SUCKS. I have a fully compliant system and wasn't able to get it to work until a full windows reinstall and even then it's still touchy.

Protection schemes exist since the days of VHS, and yes, despite all the protests being made during the last decades. If you recall RPC-1 on a DVD-ROM drive you may also remember when AnyDVD was first used, and why Slysoft solved all our problems for DVD playback in the PC.

Last edited:
Folks, I just mentioned PS5 because of the announcement that their system uses a Zen 2 AMD processor, and that is coincidentally the same chip archtecture that I recently installed in my PC. I don't have experience with consoles and probably never will, because I don't play games. But it seems to me that the structure of such machines is quite similar to a PC, due to the interaction between CPU and GPU, operating system, etc. Of course, a console design is more akin to a standalone player than a PC, but comparisons can be made.

SGX, to the best of my knowledge, is included in the BIOS and needs to be enabled in an Intel driven motherboard, simply because it was designed by Intel to that effect in a Intel board as a software protection. The Intel CPU encrypts information on a small amount of memory so that it cannot be read withouy permission, but the CPU can only do so if it has a structure that supports SGX. By the way, I have read complaints over the Internet of bugs in the sofware and lack of, in this case, 4K BDV playback on afected BIOS/UEFI.

I understand that Cyberlink took advantage of the SGX scheme in order to allow 4K Blu-Ray playback. Due to the reported bugs I would not be surprised if they decided to ditch SGX. Anyway, assuming, for the sake of the argument, that PowerDVD can only playback commercial, protected media, by resorting to SGX and Kaby Lake, my PC would never be able to play those discs. This is exactly what happened before I replaced my CPU! This is is a fact, not especulation, I tried many times, with different movies. And that made me forget the playback of 4K discs for quite a while, and until now I had no hope that I could ever play a 4K Blu-Ray in my PC.

Protection schemes exist since the days of VHS, and yes, despite all the protests being made during the last decades. If you recall RPC-1 on a DVD-ROM drive you may also remember when AnyDVD was first used, and why Slysoft solved all our problems for DVD playback in the PC.

What exactly happens when you tried to play 4K discs with your Intel system? If you got an error, what error?

You've only mentioned SGX but Cyberlink also requires HDCP 2.2 monitor and Intergrated GPU. Did you have those?

Thanks.

OK I think this is your issue. Your drive LG WH16NS40 isn't supported by Cyberlink PowerDVD :)

This would be the most likely reason you couldn't play those discs with your Intel setup.

Cyberlink requires UHD Ready drives. Yours isn't.

My system was never Intel based. I have assembled Intel processors in the distant past and moved on to AMD for various reasons. My current rig uses the Ryzen 9 3900X, on a Crosshair VII Hero motherboard, BIOS 3103 (last version).

I had the Ryzen 7 2700X oriiginally installed when I first tried to play a UHD Blu-Ray. I even tried several discs, but to no avail. It was only a few days ago that I decided to have another go, based on the afore mentioned CPU replacement. The Zen architecture was modified in the 3rd generation Ryzen, along with other features. The chip used in the PS5 is also based on that Zen 2.

As for the LG WH16NS40, all I can say is that it reads any 4K Blu-Ray directory and files. Some people call it "UHD-friendly" or something to that effect. I hope that you agree that if this drive is not fully capable of playing UHD BDV, I would not be able to use Cyberlink's PowerDVD 20 as well.

All I am trying to understand now is how my current, non-Intel PC, is playing 4K Blu-Rays now but not before, despite of running AnyDVD HD in the background at all times. The only change in the system is the Zen 2 CPU. But that alone cannot be be the sole explanation. What else, then?

As a side info: my PC uses an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC graphics board, connected to a Dell UP3216Q with a DispayPort cable. The card is HDR capable buy the monitor is not HDR-compliant. In fact, its maximum brightness is around 300 nits. The 1080 card also features HDMI 2.0a and DisplayPort 1.4 protocols. The monitor was meant for professional photographers basically but it can display DCI as well.

Last edited:
My system was never Intel based. I have assembled Intel processors in the distant past and moved on to AMD for various reasons. My current rig uses the Ryzen 9 3900X, on a Crosshair VII Hero motherboard, BIOS 3103 (last version).

I had the Ryzen 7 2700X oriiginally installed when I first tried to play a UHD Blu-Ray. I even tried several discs, but to no avail. It was only a few days ago that I decided to have another go, based on the afore mentioned CPU replacement. The Zen architecture was modified in the 3rd generation Ryzen, along with other features. The chip used in the PS5 is also based on that Zen 2.

As for the LG WH16NS40, all I can say is that it reads any 4K Blu-Ray directory and files. Some people call it "UHD-friendly" or something to that effect. I hope that you agree that if this drive is not fully capable of playing UHD BDV, I would not be able to use Cyberlink's PowerDVD 20 as well.

All I am trying to understand now is how my current, non-Intel PC, is playing 4K Blu-Rays now but not before, despite of running AnyDVD HD in the background at all times. The only change in the system is the Zen 2 CPU. But that alone cannot be be the sole explanation. What else, then?

As a side info: my PC uses an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC graphics board, connected to a Dell UP3216Q with a DispayPort cable. The card is HDR capable buy the monitor is not HDR-compliant. In fact, its maximum brightness is around 300 nits. The 1080 card also features HDMI 2.0a and DisplayPort 1.4 protocols. The monitor was meant for professional photographers basically but it can display DCI as well.

There are my types of drives that can read triple or quad layer Blu-Ray discs at 128 GB but for the purpose of this discussion lets stick to UHD Friendly and UHD Ready.

AnyDVD requires UHD Friendly drives, which is what you have. That's why you are now able to play the movies.

Cyberlink requires UHD Ready drives. It does not support your drive because yours doesn't enforce AACS 2.1 encryption on the hardware. This is probably why you had issues earlier.

And yes you are right, you cannot use Cyberlink's PowerDVD 20 as well with your current drive unless you use AnyDVD to remove the encryption first.

There are only 2 options:

1) Cyberlink + UHD Ready drive + Intel SGX + Integrated GPU + HDCP 2.2 monitor
2) Cyberlink + AnyDVD + UHD Friendly drive + Any GPU or Monitor

Yours is the 2nd scenario.

anyway, what error or issues were you getting when you had the Ryzen 7 2700X??

Back