• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

28 Days Later R2 PAL Limited Edition - "Unable to Crack All CSS Keys"

Pelvis Popcan

Just had this happen tonight for the first time on any disc! :)

It was on the 28 Days Later Region 2 PAL Limited Edition UK disc.

I believe this disc (Fox) was release in 2002. I had always thought that as long as the drive's region was set, this error wouldn't come up.

I am in Region 1 on Region 1 set drives. I'm 100% certain the drives are set to Region 1.

On drives set to Region 1, the "Unable to Crack" CSS error comes up.

If the drive is set to Region 2, it doesn't.

I don't *think* there are any problems however on the Region 1 drive rip; AnyDVD likely correctly guessed the CSS keys.

I had no region changes remaining on any drives except for an external USB / Firewire one. I had 4 changes remaining on that. So I used that to rip and create a log.

I also had to create log files on an old laptop. On my old desktop, AnyDVD immediately exits when I try to create a log file, on any disc, or even an empty drive. It creates a 0 byte file "AnyDVD_8.4.8.0_Info_X_.ziplog" in the my documents folder, which is not in the default location ("H:\User Files"). Not sure if that's a bug or what.

Anyway, if this is expected behavior with this disc, then I apologize!

Logs from R1 set drive (with "Unable to Crack" error) and R2 set drive (without error) attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.8.0_Info_R1Drive_28_DAYS.ziplog
    169.3 KB · Views: 4
  • AnyDVD_8.4.8.0_Info_R2Drive_28_DAYS.ziplog
    151.6 KB · Views: 5
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.4.8.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
MATSHITA UJDA720 DVD/CDRW 1.03
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2063664 sectors (4030 MBytes)
Total size: 4105906 sectors (8019 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: 28_DAYS
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

The main reason that drive pops up with the failed to crack CSS keys is it's a matSHITa drive with region 1 assigned. Matshita drives are notorious for having problems removing CSS encryption from discs that have a different region than the one the drive has. The throuble with matshita drives is that even changing the region on it would most likely NOT fix this. That's hardcoded on those drives. Unfortunately, this is normal behavior for matshita drives.

Just had this happen tonight for the first time on any disc! :)

It was on the 28 Days Later Region 2 PAL Limited Edition UK disc.

I believe this disc (Fox) was release in 2002. I had always thought that as long as the drive's region was set, this error wouldn't come up.

I am in Region 1 on Region 1 set drives. I'm 100% certain the drives are set to Region 1.

On drives set to Region 1, the "Unable to Crack" CSS error comes up.

If the drive is set to Region 2, it doesn't.

I don't *think* there are any problems however on the Region 1 drive rip; AnyDVD likely correctly guessed the CSS keys.

I had no region changes remaining on any drives except for an external USB / Firewire one. I had 4 changes remaining on that. So I used that to rip and create a log.

I also had to create log files on an old laptop. On my old desktop, AnyDVD immediately exits when I try to create a log file, on any disc, or even an empty drive. It creates a 0 byte file "AnyDVD_8.4.8.0_Info_X_.ziplog" in the my documents folder, which is not in the default location ("H:\User Files"). Not sure if that's a bug or what.

Anyway, if this is expected behavior with this disc, then I apologize!

Logs from R1 set drive (with "Unable to Crack" error) and R2 set drive (without error) attached.
Panasonic drives cannot read CSS protected discs, if the region code does not match. Just use your Pioneer drive (what you did...?)

The Pioneer drive also reported "Unable to Crack All CSS Keys" when it was set to Region 1. The error went away when I set it to Region 2. (3 region changes remaining now.)

I guess some discs need to have the drive's region match the disc, regardless of drive make? :\

Last edited:
The Pioneer drive also reported "Unable to Crack All CSS Keys" when it was set to Region 1. The error went away when I set it to Region 2. (3 region changes remaining now.)

I guess some discs need to have the drive's region match the disc, regardless of drive make? :\
Yeah but that's a different problem. In that case anydvd bruteforce cracking method isn't successful which is rare but can happen. But not always. With matshita drives it's hardcoded and the drive sort of physically interferes with that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It is a WARNING. In most cases you won't notice any problem.

DVD drives are cheap. If you're going to have a lot of Region 2 discs, get an additional set to Region 2 and leave your regular set to Region 1.

It is a WARNING. In most cases you won't notice any problem.

Thanks James. You're right, I checked the checksums of the ripped files from the R1 rip with the error and the R2 rip without the error and they match.

It's been awhile since I posted. I hope you're doing OK during the pandemic. I can't buy toilet paper. o_O

Back