• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD scans disk and shows details then disk is ejected

I'm posting this here but it also happens with DVD disks as well. Basically AnyDVD will pop up and say it's scanning a disk, if you have the AnyDVD application open you will see the disk details in the drive tab, and then suddenly the disk ejects, explorer will pop open a file window for the drive (empty) with a dialog that says, "Insert a disc / Please inserat a disk into drive n:. / Help me choose a disk / [Cancel]".

Sometimes the disk doesn't eject but This PC still shows an empty drive, Handbrake cannot see the drive as a source, and double clicking on the drive in Explorer causes it to eject with the dialog noted above.

My machines has 3 BD drives (an internal SATA BD-ROM drive, an internal SATA BDRW drive, and an external USB 3.0 BD-ROM drive). This error happens randomly two each of them (it almost feels like it will randomly pick one that works) and it happens with any disk so it does not appear to be a hardware or media issue.

So far I have tried:

1. Completely removing (including registration info) and reinstalling the latest AnyDVD (8.4.8.0)
  2. Turning off all anti-virus software
  3. Turning on aggressive I/O
None of these have worked. I did notice this in the logs:

PID:42160: AnyDVDtray.exe
AnyDVDtray.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\AnyDVDtray.exe)
Version: 8.4.8.0 (8.4.8.0)
Company: RedFox
Product: AnyDVD
Copyright: Copyright 2020 RedFox
Description: AnyDVD Application
Trademarks: AnyDVD and RedFox
FileVersion: 8.4.8.0
ProductVersion: 8.4.8.0
Comments: 20200325202408
PrivateBuild: Release
SpecialBuild: No

PID:41108: ADvdDiscHlp64.exe
ADvdDiscHlp64.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\ADvdDiscHlp64.exe)
Version: 8.3.7.0 (8.3.7.0)
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2019 RedFox
Description: AnyDVD 64bit helper
FileVersion: 8.3.7.0
ProductVersion: 8.3.7.0
Comments: AdvdDiscHlp Process for 64bit applications

AnyDialog.dll (C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\AnyDialog.dll)
Version: 8.4.2.4 (8.4.2.4)
Copyright: Copyright 2020 RedFox
Description: User Interface for AnyDVD
FileVersion: 8.4.2.4
ProductVersion: 8.4.2.4
Comments: 20200102160158
SpecialBuild: No
Base: 07330000 (07330000), Size 1335296​

Not sure if those things are versioned differently or if there is a version mis-match somehow.

This also seems odd:

------------------------------------------------------------
CDROM Class UpperFilters:
None!

CDROM Class LowerFilters:
AnyDVD (System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys), Version: 8.3.4.0 (8.3.4.0)
Copyright: Copyright 2019 RedFox
Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
FileVersion: 8.3.4.0
ProductVersion: 8.3.4.0
Comments: 20190126210527
SpecialBuild: x64

E:\ -> \Device\CdRom0
\DosDevices\E:\ -> SCSI\CdRom&Ven_ASUS&Prod_BC-12B1ST___b\4&20199404&0&000000
Device UpperFilters:
None!

Device LowerFilters:
None!

F:\ -> \Device\CdRom1
\DosDevices\F:\ -> SCSI\CdRom&Ven_HL-DT-ST&Prod_BD-RE__WH14NS40\4&20199404&0&000100
Device UpperFilters:
None!

Device LowerFilters:
None!

L:\ -> \Device\CdRom3
\DosDevices\L:\ -> USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_PIONEER&Prod_BD-RW___BDR-XD05&Rev_3.01\1956100610900537&0
Device UpperFilters:
None!

Device LowerFilters:
None!

I've seen some similar threads when searching but none of them seemed to have a conclusion (or at least one that has worked for me) and some were quite old.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.8.0_Info_F_ITS_A_DISASTER_FC8E53AE_737C5D89.ziplog
    190.6 KB · Views: 7
Try to disconnect the USB drive. Do you still see the problem with the internal drive(s)?

Try to disconnect the USB drive. Do you still see the problem with the internal drive(s)?

Yes. It is worth noting that this particular machine and configuration has worked fine for close to a year and started having issues round the end of the year. I just didn't have the time to sit down and try to wokr out the reason until now.

I have exactly the same issue. AnyDVD will scan a disk and while ripping is taking place it will then suddenly eject and rescan the disk interrupting the process. This will happen a couple of times till eventually explorer will show the drive as being empty. It seems to have happened since the last update as if I disable AnyDVD and close the program so it's not running the disk will run normally and w.ill rip with a nameless alternative software. It the same issue with all disks regardless if they're DVD, Bluray or 4kUHD.

I have exactly the same issue. AnyDVD will scan a disk and while ripping is taking place it will then suddenly eject and rescan the disk interrupting the process. This will happen a couple of times till eventually explorer will show the drive as being empty. It seems to have happened since the last update as if I disable AnyDVD and close the program so it's not running the disk will run normally and w.ill rip with a nameless alternative software. It the same issue with all disks regardless if they're DVD, Bluray or 4kUHD.
An AnyDVD log would be nice. A question I would have is do you have "nameless alternative software" running at the same time AnyDVD is active? Could it be trying to access the drive while AnyDVD has control?

Make MKV doesn't clash as it doesn't run in the background. When using the program you can avoid the clash by disabling its own decryption process. Even just using AnyDVD rip to image causes the same problem. This new problem has only occurred since the last update. Something has changed.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.8.0_Info_G_HIS_DARK_MATERIALS_D2_46666B1E_472C1F88.ziplog
    130.1 KB · Views: 3
Make MKV doesn't clash as it doesn't run in the background. When using the program you can avoid the clash by disabling its own decryption process. Even just using AnyDVD rip to image causes the same problem. This new problem has only occurred since the last update. Something has changed.
This is odd:
Code:
Errors:
-----------------------------
7.01s: read sectors failed, sense 0:0:0 // **** NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION
-----------------------------
Which version of AnyDVD did you use before?

EDIT:
Maybe a recent update of one of your seven McAffee "anti-something" kernel mode drivers?

Well, I don't use McAfee (I do use Malwarebytes and let Windows Defender run but I tried fully disabling both and it didn't work). I tend to run about every released version as I use Chocolatey and let it install packages. Note: I've also tried completely uninstalling and installing manually to make sure that it wasn't something unique to a package manager installation that caused it.

Also, after unplugging and plugging back in my external DVD drive, now all THREE are having the behavior. Likely will be that way until I bother to reboot. I'm happy to gather additonal logs, tweak logging levels, or install a one-off with extra debugging code to help.

Sorry, one more odd data point. If I keep trying to insert the disk, sometimes it will not eject it but it will still not show up to other programs (HandBrake, Explorer, etc), but I can right click on the AnyDVD tray icon and rip the disk to folder or an iso and it will work. Sometimes if this happens and I leave it setting in the drive, I'll get a random "scanning the disk" pop up a few minutes later and it won't eject it either but it still doesn't show up to other programs.

Well, I don't use McAfee
For someone who doesn't use McAfee, you sure have a lot of McAfee services running.
PID: 5160: MMSSHOST.exe

PID: 5336: mfevtps.exe

PID: 5500: ProtectedModuleHost.exe

PID: 5776: MfeAVSvc.exe

PID: 6228: mcapexe.exe

PID: 6324: McCSPServiceHost.exe

PID: 7020: mcshield.exe
mcshield.exe (C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe)
Version: 20.1.0.988 (20.1.0.0)
Company: McAfee LLC.
Product: Anti-Malware Core
Copyright: Copyright (C) McAfee LLC, 2019. All rights reserved.
Description: McAfee Scanner service
FileVersion: Anti-Malware Core.20.1.0.988.x64
ProductVersion: 20.1.0
PrivateBuild: Anti-Malware Core.20.1.0.988.x64 F15

For someone who doesn't use McAfee, you sure have a lot of McAfee services running.

Hi, I'm the original poster, I think you're looking at the logs from @Guardian_Force who replied to the thread later with their own similar issue. I can assure you I have no McAfee on my machine. As I stated, I do have Malware Bytes and Windows Defender. I also have Acronis True Image that installs some anti-ransomware protections as well. I have turned off all of them, rebooted clean, and had the same issue.

Is the only response going to be to write this off because a second poster chimed in who was using McAfee even though I was not and pointed out that I have tried with all protection services of and got the same result? I guess I'll keep doing the "reinsert the disk until it stays in and comes up blank then rip it to the hard drive and convert later" trick until that doesn't work either.

Is the only response going to be to write this off because a second poster chimed in who was using McAfee even though I was not and pointed out that I have tried with all protection services of and got the same result? I guess I'll keep doing the "reinsert the disk until it stays in and comes up blank then rip it to the hard drive and convert later" trick until that doesn't work either.
You and possibly one other person has the issue (may be the same, may not) out of the thousands upon thousands of users. It is something localized to your machine. @James doesn't have the luxury of sitting at your machine to see what is there and may be conflicting. He only has the log to look at, which something may jump out at him, or may not.

To my knowledge, AnyDVD does not have anything in it's programming that can tell a drive to eject a disc, even if it is a defective disc. Some authoring software does, so it is hard to know what may be the issue, as no one but you knows what is on the machine.

Last edited:
You and possibly one other person has the issue (may be the same, may not) out of the thousands upon thousands of users. It is something localized to your machine. @James doesn't have the luxury of sitting at your machine to see what is there and may be conflicting. He only has the log to look at, which something may jump out at him, or may not.

To my knowledge, AnyDVD does not have anything in it's programming that can tell a drive to eject a disc, even if it is a defective disc. Some authoring software does, so it is hard to know what may be the issue, as no one but you knows what is on the machine.

And that's fine. The last several replies though were borderline attacking over AV software running and not even paying attention to who made the OP. A line like below would have been great to let me know that.

No, I have no idea. Maybe some update of some 3rd party application or driver?

Again, I'm happy to pull more debug info from Windows, enable extra debugging in AnyDVD, and/or install a beta/one-off version to capture extra details. I'm just not entirely sure where to look. I've done software development for years but almost all of it embedded and/or Linux so I am proficient in Windows but not in every subsystem (like the DVD driver layer) because I've never had to dig into it. But I'm comfortable doing debugging tasks above and beyond the norm if it helps. So far as updates, when it first happened it was right around when my machine got the fall Windows update so I just assumed it was something with that and didn't bother thinking a subsequent release would fix it as I was rather busy at the time and it wasn't a big deal. So far as authoring software, I don't have any installed. I only rip disks through HandBrake for Plex, I don't reauthor copies for backups or to remove menu and other annoyances. If you have a list of common conflicts somewhere (I think I looked for it when I was searching on the symptoms) I can take a look at that. My first thoughts went to a Windows changes or AV (the later of which I disabled and tried with no change). Typing this I just thought of something and went to check the AutoPlay settings and they were set to "Show Folder" for removable drive (there wasn't an entry for optical drives and I don't recall if Win10 had one or not, the others were for Memory Card and iPad). I set it to Ask... and the disk doesn't eject now but it still doesn't show up (AnyDVD sees it but HandBrake and Explorer do not). Is the lack of AnyDVD listed in the fliters for the drives (it's on the CD-ROM class in the lower filters but not in the \Device\CdRomX settings) possibly part of the issue? See the log in the OP.

Lastly, I'm not looking for you to pour your day into debugging this, just point me in a direction and I can gather info and I can report back (lather, rinse, repeat) over time until it's figured out. I just don't know where else to go that I haven't yet.

Thanks!

I remember a Win10 update a while back 2209, I think it was or maybe the one before, messed up a lot of people's drives. But I'm pretty sure that was corrected with a later version. Are you using Windows drivers or your motherboard's drivers? Don't know when you added drives, but when you added the external drive, was there a disc to load drivers or Windows did it's own? I know you've said you unplugged, then plugged back in the external drive, but have you restarted the machine with no external drive, just the internal drives to see if the problem stays? Or maybe deleting all drives from Windows, then restarting with one drive at a time and letting Windows discover them again to see if the issue is present?

There's no such thing as motherboard drivers for optical drives. It's pretty much the same generic driver that comes within windows since Vista.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ah, yes, no drive sepecific drivers these day (other than LightScribe which is pretty much dead? and custom backup/authoring software sometimes). But I did try deleting them all and rebooting. I'm about 98% sure I'd done that at some point since it's in a lot of the troubleshooting threads and a pretty standard fix for devices acting wonky but... It worked. At least for now. Discs aren't ejecting, AnyDVD is running, and the disc shows up both in Explorer and HandBrake now. I'll keep an eye on it the next few weeks and report back if the problem reoccurs. I'm also wondering if the AutoPlay setting didn't kick in fully until reboot either. It didn't prompt that it was needed but Windows can be a bit lax in enforcing that for changes sometimes.

Back