• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

8.4.4.0 issue with region-code removal (setting seems ignored)

alesbal

I have the region-code removal set to OFF, but anyway every time I insert a new BR I'm asked to specify the disc region. Also the window asking the region is there forever, so no way to skip unless I connect a mouse and press cancel or ok (and I'm using an headless HTPC so it's boring).
Issue was not there in previous versions of AnyDVD.
Any help on how to solve?

Ok, sorry it's my first issue report :)
Please note meanwhile I downgraded to 8.4.0.0 and issue disappeared, so I assume something wrong happened between 8.4.0.1 and 8.4.4.0.
I will send log asap (I'm on a different PC now).
Thanks!

I have the region-code removal set to OFF, but anyway every time I insert a new BR I'm asked to specify the disc region. Also the window asking the region is there forever, so no way to skip unless I connect a mouse and press cancel or ok (and I'm using an headless HTPC so it's boring).
Issue was not there in previous versions of AnyDVD.
Click "default" in settings. Some remastering options may require to know the region code. Some copy protections might need that, too.

Thank you James, but already tried to "default" but has no effect on this issue. I can solve only downgrading to 8.4.0.0.
The main difference is 8440 is trying to identify BD region of the disc (even if feature not enabled), while 8400 is not trying at all.
8440 logs "Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc", while 8400 doesn't log the same line at all.
As soon as I'm back home I will send you the log files (both of 8.4.4.0 and 8.4.0.0).

I was finally able to get logs for 8.4.4.0 and 8.4.0.0. I'm attaching both. Note the BD removal option is not flagged. Also on 8.4.4.0 when I'm asked to select a region I can simply press Cancel and everything proceed fine (I think, I have not tried to RIP a disc to test). Hopefully you can help on solving this issue.
Thanks again

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.0.0_Info_E_SPIDER_MAN_17FA5983_D74E5945.ziplog
    384 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_8.4.4.0_Info_E_SPIDER_MAN_17FA5983_D74E5945.ziplog
    489.4 KB · Views: 3
I was finally able to get logs for 8.4.4.0 and 8.4.0.0. I'm attaching both. Note the BD removal option is not flagged. Also on 8.4.4.0 when I'm asked to select a region I can simply press Cancel and everything proceed fine (I think, I have not tried to RIP a disc to test). Hopefully you can help on solving this issue.
Thanks again
Thank you, I'll check.

If you usually play discs from region A, just set "Blu-ray disc region" in AnyDVD settings to 'A'. Pick your 'favorite' region.
You can keep the "remove region code" checkbox unticked.

Thanks James! I now understand better the issue: Anydvd is not always able to detect the region for some discs (and this is normal), in these cases if "automatic detection" is ticked, even if parent option "region remove" is unticked, the disc region is asked the user. This behavior was not present in 8.4.0.0, and if region removal was not flagged, region detection was completely skipped.
Question 1: since I'm not setting region removal, setting a random region (i.e. I set Region A and I insert a Region B disc) doesn't have any effect on disc ripping/play, is it correct?
Question 2: behavior in vers 8.4.0.0 was more correct in my opinion, if region removal is unticked, "automatic", "region A", "region B", etc., sub-options should be ignored, this makes also disc analysis faster and UI aligned with sw behavior, can you check if this can be fixed?
Final note: I tried to set "Always ask for region code of inserted disc", and this is correctly ignored for region detected disc if region removal flag is off.

Question 1: since I'm not setting region removal, setting a random region (i.e. I set Region A and I insert a Region B disc) doesn't have any effect on disc ripping/play, is it correct?
AnyDVD needs to know the correct region to remove certain copy protections correctly, even if it won't need to remove the region lock.
EDIT: If you set the wrong region, such a disc won't play correctly.

Question 2: behavior in vers 8.4.0.0 was more correct in my opinion, if region removal is unticked, "automatic", "region A", "region B", etc., sub-options should be ignored, this makes also disc analysis faster and UI aligned with sw behavior, can you check if this can be fixed?
No, I don't think it can. The disc you inserted looks like one with such a protection. It isn't, but AnyDVD doesn't know. Until it has finished the scan.

Final note: I tried to set "Always ask for region code of inserted disc", and this is correctly ignored for region detected disc if region removal flag is off.
No. AnyDVD just remembers your input.

EDIT: If you set the wrong region, such a disc won't play correctly.
I tried to setup Region A and then ripped a Region B disc and it worked perfectly.

No, I don't think it can. The disc you inserted looks like one with such a protection. It isn't, but AnyDVD doesn't know. Until it has finished the scan.
The non-detectable discs are all ABC and not protected, in fact if I press Cancel anydvd works correctly, so means the pop-up asking disc region is not really used by the SW.

No. AnyDVD just remembers your input.
I checked registry and since I always pressed Cancel to region selection window, nothing was stored, this confirms the "always ask for region" is skipped if region removal flag is not set (as expected).

Still 8.4.0.0 was working well and without prompting (if not setup to do and not needed), so something happened that caused this strange behavior.

Thanks!

Still 8.4.0.0 was working well and without prompting (if not setup to do and not needed), so something happened that caused this strange behavior.
Yes, I explained it. Please read again, what I wrote.

Yes, I explained it. Please read again, what I wrote.
Sorry if I didn't get it, I will try to read better your answer.

What about my other points above? any thoughts?
Thanks again!

Sorry if I didn't get it, I will try to read better your answer.
I'll try again. Assume region code removal is off.
Normal disc: Nothing happens.
Suspicious disc: AnyDVD wants to investigate. To do this, it need to know a valid disc region. A, B or C.
If AnyDVD can't figure it out, it will ask you.
a) It has "additional" protection: AnyDVD removes it. Region lock is kept, if it exists. If Region lock exists and you specified an incorrect region, "additional" protection is NOT removed correctly.
b) Doesn't have "additional" protection, like your Spiderman disc: Nothing happens.

AnyDVD 8.4.4.0 didn't know about this new protection, so yes, this behavior is new.
To mimic AnyDVD 8.4.4.0 behavior, do as I said: Disable region lock, but set a fixed region.

Back