• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[SOLVED] Bad sector

axymeyus

Hello.

I have this DVD that exhibits a weird kind of issue. AnyDVD seems to decrypt it correctly, and I can play the movie on my computer, however I cannot copy the files. Windows is telling me "the drive cannot find the sector requested". The problematic file is marked read-only and hidden for some reason, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue when copying the file. (I'm using a powershell command to copy the file while clearing the read-only flag)

AnyDVD has this to say:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0, BDPHash.bin 19-09-17)
ATAPI IHBS1122 PL06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 2047376 sectors (3998 MBytes)
Video DVD (or CD) label: DVD_VIDEO
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC
Found & removed structural copy protection!
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

Is there anything I can try? Thank you.

Please read this https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/ple...u-post.52659/&share_tid=52659&share_fid=23809
Try again. We need the actual logfile. Notna copy paste of the status window info.

However going in the limited info from that status window, it's an unprotected DVD+r. If you can't do a simple file copy with 'windows explorer' it's almost always a dirty/defective disc and/or drive

Also there's no need to use powershell. Anydvd has a built in ripper

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Using AnyDVD's Rip to hard drive function seemed to do the trick actually. What an odd thing.

Also there's no need to use powershell

Just to be clear, I mentionned PowerShell because it's part of my usual set-up and it gives this detailed error. Using regular Windows copy simply says that it can't be read. This is the first time I'm seeing something like this. The DVD is brand new too.

But, whatever, I had totally forgot about AnyDVD's built-in ripper and that worked. Do you still want the log just to see if there is some kind of edge case that could be better handled?

Using AnyDVD's Rip to hard drive function seemed to do the trick actually. What an odd thing.

Just to be clear, I mentionned PowerShell because it's part of my usual set-up and it gives this detailed error. Using regular Windows copy simply says that it can't be read. This is the first time I'm seeing something like this. The DVD is brand new too.

But, whatever, I had totally forgot about AnyDVD's built-in ripper and that worked. Do you still want the log just to see if there is some kind of edge case that could be better handled?

Anydvd would give you the exact same error if it failed to read it. Even the exact problematic sector range :) By brand new, you mean you bought that disc? In a store? Cause if you did. It's likely a bootleg / counterfeit.

Retail discs (unless they're DOD, disc on demand, like with amazon) do NOT come on a DVD-R. They also don't come without any form of protection. There's no region code on it, no CSS or anything else.

If it works, test the rip. If the rip fails proper playback, return the disc (or do it anyway). As it has every sign of being a counterfeit. If the rip in that case was succesful (proper playback), a logfile is no longer required. But please report back :)

I bought the disc on Amazon Japan specifically, and yes it is a disc on demand. I did not notice that when ordering it... Another odd thing about it is that it contains a 4 Gb VOB, which is not anything I've ever seen either. That said, the rip is indeed successful so everything turned out fine in the end, thanks.

Well if it's a DOD, then being unprotected is not that uncommon, but those usually have some form of protection too. an a weird one.

A single 4GB VOB file? That's highly unusual. Probably even in violation of the DVD standard. Unless i'm mistaking (and i'm sure @James will do so if i am), the DVD standard dictates 1GB files. I'd still test the playback though and on 2nd thought, now that you said about that VOB file size. Please DO post the logfile! While it's not needed for troubleshooting, @James will definitely be interested in seeing the contents of that logfile.

Everything points to a very weird layout and violation of DVD specifications.

the DVD standard dictates 1GB files

Yes, that's also what I believe. Here is the log file

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.4.0_Info_D_DVD_VIDEO.ziplog
    67.2 KB · Views: 3
Back