• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature request

axymeyus

Hello.

When I load a BluRay that is region locked, AnyDVD does a great job of determining which region it's from and do its thing (I have the region code setting set on Auto) but when the disc is region free it always asks for confirmation. Is it possible to have it automatically choose "Region Free" if the region code cannot be determined automatically? I'm using AnyDVD on a second computer and would like to avoid any user interaction.

Hello.

When I load a BluRay that is region locked, AnyDVD does a great job of determining which region it's from and do its thing (I have the region code setting set on Auto) but when the disc is region free it always asks for confirmation. Is it possible to have it automatically choose "Region Free" if the region code cannot be determined automatically? I'm using AnyDVD on a second computer and would like to avoid any user interaction.
AnyDVD can - sometimes - correctly detect a region free disc. If it doesn't, the disc may not be region free, so you'll have to help.

I understand that, but I would like an option to help it by assuming region-free if region code cannot be determined, is it not possible? I may not understand the problem fully, but is there no way AnyDVD can try assuming region-free and detected that it's not working and only then ask the user?

I understand that, but I would like an option to help it by assuming region-free if region code cannot be determined, is it not possible? I may not understand the problem fully, but is there no way AnyDVD can try assuming region-free and detected that it's not working and only then ask the user?
I am pretty sure that would be misconstrued by a lot of people (oh, I want my disc region free) and I can foresee that could become a nightmare here.

Maybe as a hidden command line flag, not a real obvious option? (As in, start AnyDVD with a specific parameter)

Strange request. Either you want the region lock removed, or you don't. If you don't, disable region lock removal. This is identical to answering "region free".

Well I suppose I want it removed, if there is a region code and it's not removed my rip wouldn't work, right? But as I said, I'm using AnyDVD on a second computer, and when that pop-up opens asking for region it's little bit cumbersome to have to set it manually, that's all. So I want automatic mode to be actually, fully automated :D

Are you importing discs or only using discs from a specific region, you want to make region free for VIEWING in other regions? (EG only use region A discs, but you occasionally travel to region B where you want to play your region A discs), because in that case you could tell AnyDVD a specific region (A in this scenario), and anydvd will effectively assume all discs inserted are coded to play back at least in region A (if also being coded for B or C doesn't matter). It will then remove the region coding and make the disc region free.

Note specifying a fixed region and then inserting a disc that's only coded for a different region (eg anydvd set to region A and inserting a region B only disc), will render the backup unplayable IN ANY REGION.

Hmm I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

I rip discs from different regions, some B's and some C's but ~70% of the discs are region free. When the disc is region locked AnyDVD is able to determine automatically which region code is set and bypass it, but when it's region free I have this pop-up asking me for confirmation. I want to get rid of the pop-up and automatically select "region free" when that happens. Sorry if this isn't clear.

Unless it's specifically mentioned on the packaging, do not assume region free. Just because there's no region mentioned, doesn't mean it's region free. Just an fyi. Region coding is done in the java code on the disc and isn't very easy to determine whether it's region free or a fixed region. If you for example had a disc where the packaging doesn't state a region, anydvd fails to automatically identify it, but the disc IS in fact region coded, specifying region free when it itsn't would render the disc unplayable too.

I'm afraid there is no way around that box, it's asking you to tell anydvd, because anydvd can't seem to find the region itself

When I load a BluRay that is region locked, AnyDVD does a great job of determining which region it's from and do its thing (I have the region code setting set on Auto) but when the disc is region free it always asks for confirmation. Is it possible to have it automatically choose "Region Free" if the region code cannot be determined automatically?
I get what you're asking for, but I have to throw in, that nowadays AnyDVD usually can't automatically detect the region with region locked discs either - actually there is no technical difference.
The problem is BD-J - as soon as a disc has BD-J AnyDVD has no realistic chance of determining the correct region by itself, the code is too complex.
Discs using HDMV only, usually get identified correctly, whether they are locked or not.

If you set "assume region free if you don't know better", I'm pretty positive, that it will piss you off fast, because then you'll run into non-working discs all the time.

If you set "assume region free if you don't know better", I'm pretty positive, that it will piss you off fast, because then you'll run into non-working discs all the time.

You're probably correct. But I thought of an alternative. It may be a little tricky to implement but if there was a way to send an even through a socket to AnyDVD, I could script something to remotely select region-free, and also listen to that socket to find out that AnyDVD requires my input. Probably a lot of work for something I alone may be interested in though :)

Back