• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hunger Games - DVDs excessive size

Joachim Linke

Hi,

I've bought the Hunger Games collection (German, 505988 SC).
The first movie went smoothly. All other DVDs do have extreme large VIDEO_TS folders, e.g. 92.2 GB for "Catching Fire".
I've read the issues about Region locked and indeed one of my drives wasn't set. Corrected that. Nevertheless the DVD(s) are still shown with such large numbers. Total size in AnyDVD is reported 7681 MB, which sounds more reasonable.
The main thing is that the DVDs take ages to copy. The last time I tried Handbrake finished in a fraction of a second, so I guess the VOBs are not correct (80 VOBs are 1.048.574 KB large...).
Are there any suggestions to fix that? That set was quite a deal, I'm not thrilled to buy another copy of them as BluRay...

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.0.0_Info_Z_TRIBUTE_CATCHING_FIRE_DISC1.ziplog
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Thank you, I'll try that. That's not my main question. I'm usually copying all DVD-data on my local hard drive before ripping. Is it expectable that sometimes VIDEO_TS folder are ten times higher than the DVD can handle?

Depends, how are you doing the file copy?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Via Standard Windows 10 x64 Copy / Paste. If you're telling me that there are DVDs that are not supposed to work on a file based system, I think I'm fine with that. It just the first time I'm stumbling onto this (Using AnyDVD for 10 years at least, first copying DVD / BDMV content to the local hard drive and then using HandBrake on that local folder).

Yeah that's the problem. Sounds like your problematic discs are protected by what's called 'structural protection'. The point of that is to have multiple fake vob/vts files to confuse the drive. If you were to select all of them and right-click - properties you'd find thee Total size a lot bigger than the maximum a dvd9 can hold (8.5gb). Eg 12-15gb, which is not possible.

The proper way to do it (regardless if the above protection is present or not) is to right click the fox tray icon and select 'rip video DVD to hard disc'.

That will strip away the fake titles, optimize the files so that's only the real content is left.

The proper way to do it (regardless if the above protection is present or not) is to right click the fox tray icon and select 'rip video DVD to hard disc'.

That will strip away the fake titles, optimize the files so that's only the real content is left.
Or use elby CloneDVD2.

That'll work too

Thanks very much, especially that part about using the built in Ripping feature was new to me. One ever learn new things. Greatly appreciated!

glad i could help. It's an often overlooked, but very useful feature :)

I have always used this feature over the 'Rip to Image' option.

Would it then be better to FIRST 'Rip Video Disc to Harddisk' and then create an ISO file from there? (BTW, would elby CloneDVD2 create an ISO file after ripping the video disc to the harddisk?)

In case people are wondering (like myself and for clarification now that I'm thinking about it :D) in which instance is it better to use 'Rip to Image' over the 'Rip Video Disc to Harddisk' Option?

I have always used this feature over the 'Rip to Image' option.

Would it then be better to FIRST 'Rip Video Disc to Harddisk' and then create an ISO file from there? (BTW, would elby CloneDVD2 create an ISO file after ripping the video disc to the harddisk?)

In case people are wondering (like myself and for clarification now that I'm thinking about it :D) in which instance is it better to use 'Rip to Image' over the 'Rip Video Disc to Harddisk' Option?

It's better to NEVER use Rip To Image on a regular DVD with AnyDVD alone. THUS the warning pop-up.

Because for Blu-ray, the image ripper is the recommended option

Well, not everyone uses Clonedvd to do the ripping and we all know what the result is if you rip structurally protected discs with windows explorer

Because for Blu-ray, the image ripper is the recommended option

Oh, I was not aware the Image Ripper was the recommended option for Blu-Ray. I only have 3 of those in my collection, anyway. But, you learn something new every day. :)

That's because on blu-ray there's layout related things to sectors, and more i believe @James once said (I don't remember the full details) that are copied over into the ISO, but that inevitably go lost if you rip to folder.

Last edited:
Back