• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dolby Vision

That holds true for now. Soon the media player of your choice won't matter as long as you have a few grand to throw at a very special box coming out early next year. :D I'm "Envy-ous" of those who have the cash to get one. LOL!

For $400 USD I wouldn't call the M9702 too expensive. Back in 2012 when I finally ripped my Bluray collection I paid about $300 for the 3D version of the Mede8er and still use it exclusively for my Bluray needs. I envision this box being all I need for UHD playback reasons. Selling off my Panny will offset the cost anyways.

I concur with SamuriHL. Such a box should be $200 max considering you get an UHD player at $150. Anything in between I call a rip-off and it's my attitude not to pay for rip-offs. Never. Not for that. Same applies for e.g. DeUHD.

Well, the Envy is certainly NOT going to be no 200 bucks. LOL More like 3000 bucks. This little oppo clone is fine for what it does. I wouldn't buy one but that's because I think Dolby Vision is a waste of time.

@SamuriHL ,

that's a whole different story. And not really rational but more a "crusade" against DolbyVision. There were many crusades like BetaMax against VHs in the past. The worst prevailed. HDR10+ was just rated in a German computer magazine being not better than just HDR10. Yes, we have a new battle of the systems but I just want to stick to the fact that this box is not worth what it's sold at.

it's just worth it, I can not say how much money I've thrown out the window for media players who were not worth much or not at all, and this one can currently offer all that I need. Sure, you get a UHD player for half the price, but most of them do not offer everything I want, and I have to get up for the disc

Let us know the total for the box including ugrades needed ( from Russia as far as I know).

It's all good if you want to buy into a proprietary format. I own several Dolby Vision movies myself, and a Panasonic UHD player to play them on my OLED. There are a few movies, 2001 for example, that shine in Dolby Vision, but, and here's the big BUT, with madvr properly tuned and using measurement files, you are going to be very hard pressed to see a big enough difference to warrant all the pain in the ass restrictions involved in the Dolby Vision cult. Look at what you're going through for the "privilege" of watching Dolby Vision backups....you're buying a knock off piece of hardware with a stolen, jail broken firmware all because the company that ACTUALLY made the best piece of equipment decided to jump ship. To each their own indeed. I will play my Dolby Vision discs on my UB820 and make BD-RW Dolby Vision backups for the very few that I actually care about Dolby Vision. 99% of the time I'm going to enjoy full quality dynamically tone mapped HDR off my NAS.

I have a different take on Dolby Vision and very much prefer it over HDR10 in pretty much every movie I have had the chance to watch it on from UHD disc. And what's wrong with a "knock off piece of hardware" that does what no other streamer/media player can do at the moment?

Well, I suspect Oppo probably has an opinion on that, but, whatever. :)

Let's clear up some stuff.

...The LG tv's have a built in media software that support Dolby Vision in an MP4. That is how you'd play them. I've not personally had the ambition to bother trying it myself, but, I've read that it works just fine.

Obviously, the big caveat is that for now HD audio formats are out. For now, at least.

Do you know if an MKV with HD audio would work with the LG 77C9 media player and eARC with a newer eARC receiver?

Almost got the M9702 today but chickened out. :(

Do you know if an MKV with HD audio would work with the LG 77C9 media player and eARC with a newer eARC receiver?

Almost got the M9702 today but chickened out. :(

MKV as a container format does not support Dolby Vision. Or rather there is no spec for it. So there is no player that is going to play a Dolby Vision MKV. Until someone either figures out how to store Dolby Vision in a standard way that everyone can agree on or Dolby decides to be more forthcoming with information about the Dolby Vision spec, this isn't going to change.

MKV as a container format does not support Dolby Vision. Or rather there is no spec for it. So there is no player that is going to play a Dolby Vision MKV. Until someone either figures out how to store Dolby Vision in a standard way that everyone can agree on or Dolby decides to be more forthcoming with information about the Dolby Vision spec, this isn't going to change.

Yes, we had discussed that before but I was asking about just HD audio and MKVs with the LG media player. Thought maybe I could get by (give up on DV) with that and not buy M9702 or Nvidia Shield.

From the specifications on eARC, the answer must be YES. But DV is already an added value that should not be ignored, so dynamic HDR is just better than static HDR

Back