• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Does this method of downgrading the firmware reset the region for the drive? I just noticed that the region on my drive is not set. I have only been working with Blu-Rays since I flashed it.

I told you in that other topic, drive hardware regions have zero impact on Blu-ray discs. It only comes into play for DVDs

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I told you in that other topic, drive hardware regions have zero impact on Blu-ray discs. It only comes into play for DVDs

I was trying to find out if the drive region is not set at factory. Or, if this method of upgrading/downgrading firmware changes the region setting.

It never is, drives always come region 0 (unset) out of the factory. Flashing firmware doesn't change drive hardware region either.

It never is, drives always come region 0 (unset) out of the factory. Flashing firmware doesn't change drive hardware region either.

I'm from Canada and all my drives that I purchased were set to region 1 before I got them.

That shouldn't be happening, because it effectively used up one of your allowed region changes (max 5). What if you wanted to use the drive for region 2 imported discs, you'd have to use another change.

If that were to happen to me I'd send it back, it's pretty much the same as a used drive. Never before (until now) have I heard about drives coming with a preset region (except laptop matshita drives, but that's a whole different cookie jar).

That shouldn't be happening, because it effectively used up one of your allowed region changes (max 5). What if you wanted to use the drive for region 2 imported discs, you'd have to use another change.

If that were to happen to me I'd send it back, it's pretty much the same as a used drive. Never before (until now) have I heard about drives coming with a preset region (except laptop matshita drives, but that's a whole different cookie jar).

I can play back Region 2 just fine with AnyDVD running and Region 1 set on Drive.

Last edited:
Playing isn't the same as decrypting and ripping.

I'm not saying ripping doesn't work, but a mismatched (or unset) region forces anydvd to do a brute force crack method. An unset region makes it just more prone to fail.

But playing still isn't the same as ripping (esp not if you only watch the main movie, vs ripping entire disc)

Hmm. I have my drives connected SATA, but I'm still getting error 4 when trying to flash the firmware.
BW-16D1HT on 3.10 and WH16NS40 on 1.04.

Any idea what could be going on?

Yep, flash the ASUS with 3.10-MK and the LG with BH16NS55 1.04-MK. After this, you can then flash whatever firmware you want to use.

It doesn't. It all depends on what firmware you actually want to use in the end. If you don't want to use 3.10-MK or 1.04-MK, then you are going to need to flash again to whatever firmware you want.

Yep, flash the ASUS with 3.10-MK and the LG with BH16NS55 1.04-MK. After this, you can then flash whatever firmware you want to use.

Thanks Marty! I found another download elsewhere in a post by you that had the MK firmwares in it - the one at the beginning of this thread doesn't so I wasn't aware of them!

I'm hesitant to link directly to it from here, plus maybe you'd be able to point to the updated download in your original post?

PS - awesome job in general!

Heh, then I found the pack didn't have 1.04MK, but found that separately anyway.

Hello.
I bought yesterday the LG Hitachi BH16NS55 Blu Ray Writer. I wanted to downgrade the firmware to make it possible to rip UHD Blu Rays but the Asus Patcher does nothing except opening my drive. After that happens nothing.

Downgrade Firmware to Asus Asus 3.1. is the same: No Progress.:(:banghead:

What I have to do to rip UHD Blu Rays?

Thx and kind regards.

Attachments

• IMG_20191206_034700748.jpg
    IMG_20191206_034700748.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hi...The hardware may be the same, but, the firmware is most definitely not. There have been reported cases where some discs wouldn't rip with the ASUS firmware but would with LG's and usually more in the reverse where the LG firmware had issues but the ASUS firmware works. Quite frankly, my ASUS drive with 3.02 on it has read every UHD I've thrown at it without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to flash my ASUS BC-12D2HT (came with firmware 3.11) with this tool and received error code "updating failure #4".
Any hints?

Hi everyone,

Just to give you all another option, I have modified the official ASUS ODD FW Flasher tool to allow the user to flash or cross-flash their drive to a "UHD Friendly" firmware.

Included with the ASUS Flasher, is the 'DE' (downgrade enabled) UHD friendly firmwares we are currently using with the LG Flasher tool.

Also, if you happen to use a clean firmware file that hasn't been 'DE' (downgrade enabled), this app will automatically make the file 'DE' enabled and save it.

It is very easy to use:

1. Run ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe.
2. In popup window, select a firmware file to flash. (If you click CANCEL, the auto default firmware is ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02)
3. When the main interface opens, select your drive (if not already selected)
4. Hit "START" button. The drive tray will open. Once firmware flash is completed, drive tray will close again.
5. Done.

Attached is the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware:

PS: I've also attached just the modified ASUS Flasher for those who already have the 'DE' enable firmwares. Just unzip it in to the folder with your 'DE' firmwares.

Have fun guys!!

EDIT (21.03.2019): I have made a couple of updates to the ASUS Flasher.

1. (FIX) Previously unable to flash BU40N drives. Works fine now.

2. (UPDATE) The application doesn't like really long firmware file names, so it edits the name displayed in "FW Selected:"

Tried to flash my ASUS BC-12D2HT (came with firmware 3.11) with this tool and received error code "updating failure #4".
Any hints?
Try the Firmware Changer modified (Attached) and use the 3.01 FW (Also attached)

kufo

Attachments

• BC-12D2HT.rar
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Back