• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

1st Attempt with UHD - Help Please (Instel SGX??)

I think it was @Reto that mentioned that black bars don't take a significant amount of space since they are black and not changing at all, like moving pictures of the movie. But maybe @Reto can explain this better than me.

I know it's minimal space but unnecessary space. They are also not true black, if you look in a player where you can see both empty black space and the black bars, they are a shade off.

It must be a simple feature to add, and seemingly no reason not to. There is an open feature request #451

I think it was @Reto that mentioned that black bars don't take a significant amount of space since they are black and not changing at all, like moving pictures of the movie. But maybe @Reto can explain this better than me.

That is correct.

I just performed a test using my Fast & Furious 4 UHD.

Test 1: CloneBD, video encoded 3840 x 2160 @ 25.24 Mb/s (ended up being 24.9 Mb/s) with copied DTS-X audio and no subtitles = 21.7 GiB and took approx 32 minutes.
Test 2: DVDFab, video cropped to 3840 x 1612 @ 25240 kbps (ended up being 25.0 Mb/s) with copied DTS-X audio and no subtitles = 21.7 GiB and took approx 21 minutes. (Frame Rate also changed from 16:9 to 2.40:1)

So, the only way I could think of to compare them is via "Bits Per Pixel".

Test 1: Resulted in 0.125
Test 2: Resulted in 0.169

Therefore, I say that the cropped version has slightly better video quality overall as there is no encoding bitrate wasted on the black bars.

Also, from a couple of other tests I ran, I deduce that the black bars take up less than 300mb overall. Probably more like 100mb.

Last edited:
That is correct.

I just performed a test using my Fast & Furious 4 UHD.

Test 1: CloneBD, video encoded 3840 x 2160 @ 25.24 Mb/s (ended up being 24.9 Mb/s) with copied DTS-X audio and no subtitles = 21.7 GiB and took approx 32 minutes.
Test 2: DVDFab, video cropped to 3840 x 1612 @ 25240 kbps (ended up being 25.0 Mb/s) with copied DTS-X audio and no subtitles = 21.7 GiB and took approx 21 minutes. (Frame Rate also changed from 16:9 to 2.40:1)

So, the only way I could think of to compare them is via "Bits Per Pixel".

Test 1: Resulted in 0.125
Test 2: Resulted in 0.169

Therefore, I say that the cropped version has slightly better video quality overall as there is no encoding bitrate wasted on the black bars.

Also, from a couple of other tests I ran, I deduce that the black bars take up less than 300mb overall.

That's the first time I've known anyone to attempt a comparison. So the reasons to include the cropping feature:
1. Better video quality without the bars.
2. Black Bars aren't true black when they are part of the video. Overall picture better without them.
2. Saves space. 300mb x 100 videos = 30 GB. It starts to add up.

I'm sure there is a big group of people who don't care about this, and another group of us who do. I'll probably throw a separate thread up in the Clone BD forum. This has departed from my original intent.

Thanks all for the help on my question(s).

Actually removing black bars is pointless.

It's usually one of the following cases

1. Black bars are added during authoring to achieve the aspect ratio on the packaging. (Movies are often shot in 21:9/10 and not 16:9). Removing them corrupts that. if you remove them then

2. If the aspect ratio now doesn't match the aspect ratio of the display device (tv) in most if not all it will just add the black bars back on-the-fly to fill the screen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Actually removing black bars is pointless.

It's usually one of the following cases

1. Black bars are added during authoring to achieve the aspect ratio on the packaging. (Movies are often shot in 21:9/10 and not 16:9). Removing them corrupts that. if you remove them then

2. If the aspect ratio now doesn't match the aspect ratio of the display device (tv) in most if not all it will just add the black bars back on-the-fly to fill the screen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My question has changed so I posted a new one in the CloneBD Forum. I did a better explanation of why I think it is worthwhile to crop there.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/feature-request-451.77108/

This question has been answered so TY all.

Back