• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

States of Grace

Tipperton

Hi! It's been a while.

I have a new DVD that I am trying to extract the audio from using DVD Audio Extractor version 7.6.0 which is their latest version. I am using the latest released version of AnyDVD which is version 8.3.4.0.

The system I am using is a Dell Latitude E6540 with 16 GB of memory, a 300 GB SSD, and a MATSHITA DVD+-RW UJ8FB DVD drive. I am running 64 bit Windows 10 Home.

What happens with the DVD is that I can hear the DVD drive repeatedly trying to read the disc and eventually giving up. AnyDVD then shows the drive as being empty. This doesn't happen when AnyDVD isn't running, but of course without AnyDVD DVD Audio Extractor cannot read the audio stream. For a sanity check I tried the DVD in a standard DVD player and it works just fine.

There are two versions of this movie, the version I am working with is the one from New Day Films and can be found here:

Code:
https://www.newday.com/film/states-grace

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I had actually just remembered that you would want a log, so I came back here after creating one to upload it for you.

Also, I know you usually ask that the latest beta be tried as well, I tried looking for it but couldn't find anything.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.3.4.0_Info_R_STATES_OF_GRACE.ziplog
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Might try and clean the disc to see if there are smudges. You might also try another drive (if you can), to see if it might be more forgiving. From the log:
WARNING: Read errors on disc!

8.63s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
8.63s: tries 2 retry 2152538 to 2152539
14.91s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
14.91s: tries 1 retry 2152538 to 2152539
21.20s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
21.20s: tries 0 retry 2152538 to 2152539
21.20s: read error 2152538 to 2152539, max 2249712, io->read_error 0
27.86s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
27.86s: tries 2 retry 2242697 to 2242698
34.14s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
34.14s: tries 1 retry 2242697 to 2242698
40.44s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
40.44s: tries 0 retry 2242697 to 2242698
40.44s: read error 2242697 to 2242698, max 2249712, io->read_error 0
40.44s: Warning: extending ts 3!
46.72s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
46.72s: tries 2 retry 2248179 to 2248180
53.00s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
53.00s: tries 1 retry 2248179 to 2248180
59.27s: read sectors failed, sense 3:11:5
59.28s: tries 0 retry 2248179 to 2248180
59.28s: read error 2248179 to 2248180, max 2249712, io->read_error 0

First of all, this is a brand new disk that arrived yesterday. I'd be rather surprised if there were smudges on it already. Especially since this was the first time I've ever taken it out of the case it came in. Plus I always handle all my discs by the edges and never touch the data side if I can at all avoid it.

Secondly, your remark about trying another drive reminded me that I had a USB connected external Blue Ray burner drive by Pioneer. I use Blue Ray discs so infrequently that I had forgotten I had the drive. It worked, I was able to extract the audio description track without any other problems cropping up.

Thanks!

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it can't be defective. The human eye can't see microscopic defects, a drive laser can. We see this all the time.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I know that, my first copy of "Ice Age 5" was defective. That is why, as I stated in my first message, that I tried it in the DVD player that is part of my home audio system. I figured that if it was really defective, it wouldn't work there either, but it did work, with no problems.

The reason I said that it was a brand new disc, was because I interpreted the suggestion that I clean smudges off it as, "the disc might be dirty". While I have received brand new discs that were defective, I've never received one that was dirty.

Anyway, because of the way AnyDVD behaved, or misbehaved, with this drive, I have disabled it in the settings so that AnyDVD will now only work with my external Blue Ray drive.

Because I can't disable drives through AnyDVDHD's user interface through my screen reader, I did it through the registry. While there I noticed that there were two CSS key entries for "States of Grace",not knowing which one was the correct one, I deleted both of them.

Apparently the whole problem was caused because AnyDVDHD wasn't getting a correct CSS key value when the internal optical drive was used. Or maybe not, I don't know what affect using incorrect CSS keys would have, other than not being able to read the disc's contents.

Last edited:
This is likely your problem.

MATSHITA DVD+-RW UJ8FB 1.02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: DVD-ROM

You need to set your drive hardware region. This is especially important with matSHITa drives like yours. Then try again. If that fails, new logfile.

To Tipperton:

You have to exit AnyDVD first before you set your Blu-ray/DVD drive. Please see my note about it in my signature.

I have signatures turned off because unlike you, I can't just simply skip or browse over them if I don't want to read them.

If you are referring to my using the registry to disable a drive that AnyDVDHD doesn't seem to work with, whenever possible, I always exit a program before I edit any of its registry entries. That way I can be reasonably sure the program won't overwrite my edits.

No we're not, your drive hardware region is not properly set. This is causing anywhere problems with decrypting of the discs CSS protection. This the read errors

EXIT AnyDVD completely, go into device manager and set the drive's DVD region. Then try the disc again.

Your enabling or disabling of AnyDVD to work with the drive won't fix this drive's CSS issues with this or other disc's until you set the region

I guess that all depends on the drive. My external blue ray drive also doesn't have its region set yet it was able to read the disc without any problems.

I guess that all depends on the drive. My external blue ray drive also doesn't have its region set yet it was able to read the disc without any problems.
Probably because it isn't a Panasonic (Matsushita) drive. Anyway, setting drive regions is really, really a good idea.

I've always been reluctant to mess with setting a DVD drive's region because:

1. I generally don't use movie DVDs on my computer, so 99% of the time I'm working with computer data, not videos, so setting the region is of little value.
2. Once you set a drive's region, you cannot unset it should you later find that setting it was a mistake.
3. You are allowed to set the region only 5 times.

So unless it can be shown or proven that I would never regret setting a drive's region, I prefer to just leave it alone.

Then we can't help you, it's that simple. Your unset region is causing problems for AnyDVD. It's up to you to fix it

So unless it can be shown or proven that I would never regret setting a drive's region, I prefer to just leave it alone.

It is quite simple. No region set means *every* disc region mismatches.
The specifications say, that on region mismatch, the drive shall not reveal CSS keys.
AnyDVD will brute force attack to get CSS keys. This works most of the time, but occasionally may take a long time or fail. That's why there is a CSS key database.
If you set the region, AnyDVD will only need to brute force if the region does not match.
If you don't set a region, AnyDVD will have to brute force with EVERY disc.

Panasonic (Matsushita) drives will refuse to read encrypetd sectors, if the region does not match.
If you don't set the region, Panasonic drives will NOT READ any encrypted DVD. No matter what you do, no matter which software you use.

Conclusion: Setting the drive region is *always* better.

Thanks so much for that explanation.

Since my Pioneer Blue Ray drive seems to work with no problems despite not having its region set, I think that I will just use that drive for AnyDVDHD work from now on.

That's because matshita takes an extra step and does something to the drive's firmware, where it refuses to reveal keys from discs of the drive was sold in a different region of the disc, even if the region matched. Hence nobody really likes them and there's SHIT in the name ;-)

I'll assume you're in the us and you got that disc there too. If you were to set the drive to region 1, the slimdrive will most likely work fine too. For latching region discs.

Back