• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Step By Step

studlygoorite

Hello all,

Been away since UHD started and now that I have a fairly large collection (60 4K Disks) and I see that it is now possible to back them up I can't help but think its not as easy as backing up Blu-rays were with AnyDVD HD, or is it? I know I need a friendly drive :) I am very exited to start backing up my 4K collection to my NAS, is there a step by step procedure somewhere so I can get familiar with it, purchase what I need and re-new my membership?

Thanks, John

I assume this was a silly question, I asked because I read some time ago that in order to backup my 4ks a key was needed for each movie and to get this key I had to contact someone with the key possible changing over time. I was not interested in this but I am going to gamble that this is no longer the case and purchase a friendly drive, the software and give it a go myself. Thanks

AnyDVD has limited (beta) support for UHD. Pretty much ALL of my titles are supported and I have a growing library. I use CloneBD to rip them to MKV. So I'm not sure a step by step "guide" is needed. Back them up exactly the same way you would a blu-ray. If it's supported, you're good. If the title isn't supported, you just need to wait for the AnyDVD online protection database to be updated with the key. Simple as that. And yes you do need a FRIENDLY drive not an official drive.

Thanks SamuriHL, I never used CloneBD back when backing up Blu rays but I bet I can figure it out :) Contacted one gentleman that is selling friendly drives but then I found that I think mine might be good to go, I have an LG BU40N with original firmware, once I confirm that I'll start another membership here.

I hope you don't plan on using that BU40N with anydvd to rip UHD's, cause it won't work. That's an official drive, even modified firmware (if there is any) won't work.

I hope you don't plan on using that BU40N with anydvd to rip UHD's, cause it won't work. That's an official drive, even modified firmware (if there is any) won't work.
Saved me some heartache, thanks. In the midst of purchasing a friendly drive from one suggestion from MYCE.com, he is a very friendly indeed.

Appreciated, as long as I can watch my rips though windows Kodi or on a 4k steaming device or Plex......but I can only get stereo through my Tivo with Plex right now. Just starting this hobby over as I just retired yesterday ;) so I have lots of time.

I use a SHIELD for a streaming device which has KODI, SPMC, MrMC, and Plex. All of which bitstream ATMOS/DTS:X and support 4K HDR. On the HTPC I use J River MC with madvr for an absolutely phenomenal tone mapping experience. My movies are stored on a NAS so accessible anywhere on my network.

I use a SHIELD for a streaming device which has KODI, SPMC, MrMC, and Plex. All of which bitstream ATMOS/DTS:X and support 4K HDR. On the HTPC I use J River MC with madvr for an absolutely phenomenal tone mapping experience. My movies are stored on a NAS so accessible anywhere on my network.
Might get the Shield, I heard it's one of if not the best, I'll see how it goes and research madvr if I need to thanks, my ASUS BW-16D1HT is ordered and I should see it in a few days. Question, I was asked if I'm going to backup using makeMKV or not, is one better or easier than the other (makeMKV or CloneBd?)

CloneBD requires AnyDVD to remove the protection. It's obviously what everyone here is going to recommend and rightly so. It just makes the process so much easier. As for the SHIELD I've not seen a more versatile device. Yes, it's 3 years old at this point but nVidia is still rolling out updates. It just got Oreo this summer and I just got another update pushed a couple nights ago. I use mine as my Plex server using the NAS for storage so it has all my movies and TiVo recordings (commercials stripped and stored as h265 MKV to save space). I have a SHIELD in every room for that reason. Even on my old Panny Plasma 1080p, it can down scale the UHD's in my collection so I don't have to rip both UHD and blu-ray.

A little off topic...
Even on my old Panny Plasma 1080p, it can down scale the UHD's in my collection so I don't have to rip both UHD and blu-ray.
Hmm, my Shield (using Kodi) does not convert BT2020 / HDR to BT709 SDR when playing on an old 1080p TV. It plays, yes, but looks like crap (typical washed out colors).
I doubt your Plasma supports BT2020, so what trick did you do?

A little off topic...

Hmm, my Shield (using Kodi) does not convert BT2020 / HDR to BT709 SDR when playing on an old 1080p TV. It plays, yes, but looks like crap (typical washed out colors).
I doubt your Plasma supports BT2020, so what trick did you do?

Firmware update ;) (Of course I can't find the link to the release note of which update added it but they did add it recently.)

CloneBD requires AnyDVD to remove the protection. It's obviously what everyone here is going to recommend and rightly so. It just makes the process so much easier. As for the SHIELD I've not seen a more versatile device. Yes, it's 3 years old at this point but nVidia is still rolling out updates. It just got Oreo this summer and I just got another update pushed a couple nights ago. I use mine as my Plex server using the NAS for storage so it has all my movies and TiVo recordings (commercials stripped and stored as h265 MKV to save space). I have a SHIELD in every room for that reason. Even on my old Panny Plasma 1080p, it can down scale the UHD's in my collection so I don't have to rip both UHD and blu-ray.
Nice, thanks again for your time.

Firmware update ;) (Of course I can't find the link to the release note of which update added it but they did add it recently.)
I'm going to retract that statement apparently it still does not work correctly. you are correct that the color is completely washed out. So that rather sucks. I could have sworn I had it working at one point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AnyDVD has limited (beta) support for UHD. Pretty much ALL of my titles are supported and I have a growing library. I use CloneBD to rip them to MKV. So I'm not sure a step by step "guide" is needed. Back them up exactly the same way you would a blu-ray. If it's supported, you're good. If the title isn't supported, you just need to wait for the AnyDVD online protection database to be updated with the key. Simple as that. And yes you do need a FRIENDLY drive not an official drive.
One question if I may, my friendly drive is still stuck at customs so I continue to read. Am I correct in stating that in order to rip my UHD Disks to MKV I would need to purchase AnyDVD and CloneBD, rip with AnyDVD then do again with CloneBD while with MakeMKV I just rip from 4k Bluray to MKV just purchasing the one software? I think I need the rips in MKV format so Plex can read them as Plex can't read the folder format. That said, my NVIDIA Shield should be delivered in the next couple of days so maybe I won't need to go MKV as I can run Kodi off of it to see the folders.

One question if I may, my friendly drive is still stuck at customs so I continue to read. Am I correct in stating that in order to rip my UHD Disks to MKV I would need to purchase AnyDVD and CloneBD, rip with AnyDVD then do again with CloneBD while with MakeMKV I just rip from 4k Bluray to MKV just purchasing the one software?
No. You purchase AnyDVD and - being a real time decrypter - you rip with the free version of CloneBD to mkv. For extra bells and whistles you may buy a CloneBD license, too.
CloneBD offers much more niceness than other programs, like the wonderful preview player, so you see and hear what you are actually copying.

No. You purchase AnyDVD and - being a real time decrypter - you rip with the free version of CloneBD to mkv. For extra bells and whistles you may buy a CloneBD license, too.
CloneBD offers much more niceness than other programs, like the wonderful preview player, so you see and hear what you are actually copying.
Good news, thanks.

To add to what James said, CloneBD gives you so much more feedback about WHAT you're ripping. With certain titles this can be a godsend. With CloneBD's built in preview player, you can be sure you're getting the right stuff. If you have any ambitions about creating e.g. portable files for tablets/phones etc purchasing CloneBD is a very wise investment. The combination of CloneBD/AnyDVD is my goto solution for ripping all my blu-rays and UHD's.

Received my friendly drive, tried to rip a 4k bluray with AnyDVD (Rip Video Disc To Hard Disc) would not work (Hancock), tried another (Men In black) and it ripped just fine but Kodi cannot play it, it scanned it but upon pressing play nothing happens. Trying another movie now but I am pretty sure my settings are the same as they were when I ripped blue-ray successfully. Are any settings different when ripping 4k?

Back