• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

@theosch

Thank you very much for your explanation. It worked perfectly. I did the manually method and the automatic method. Same result ;-)

Then flased my device under DOS successfully to version 1.02.

Greetings
johannu

Picked up an ASUS BC-12D2HT with 3.01 firmware on it.
getting NO DISK when trying to read UHD (can read BR fine). I was under the assumption that 3.00 and 3.01 were 'Friendly"?
Was I mistaken? it sure seems so.
Just trying to verify my assumptions

Thanks

Asus BW-16D1HT with 3.01 is good, but you have ASUS BC-12D2HT and 3.00 is what you need. So you are gonna have to downgrade that firmware.

as luck would have it!
I will attempt to downgrade then following the instructions on page one.
hopefully I can manage it without much trouble from the hardware.
Thanks for the info

as luck would have it!
I will attempt to downgrade then following the instructions on page one.
hopefully I can manage it without much trouble from the hardware.
Thanks for the info

The most important thing first make backup dump of your original unit's firmware, on safe place!! several copies of it won't hurt: After original firmware dumped +multiple backuped, nothing bad can happen if modded firmware flash goes wrong, or due to bad modifying.

The Win7 x32 + (other)-Dosflashv- 2.0 method does not bring any advantage in most cases, as you still need BIOS/Legacy mode here, too + SATA operation at IDE also.
And you still need to install portio32.sys and dsiable windows driver signature checking.
Also there are reports of read and/or write errors sometimes during reading/flashing, so not certainly so reliable.

So, to dump original unit's firmware, I'd use a FreeDOS +Dosflash 1.7 method described at beginning of Teddy's 1st post.
If Dosflash 1.7 detects your unit, because it plays together with your SATA controller hardware, your good to go via this method.
i've seen no problems reported from people so far with this way.

FreeDOS and Rufus Tool donwload link in 1st post
=>"Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)"
=>"Prepare an USB FreeDOS bootable stick, using Rufus (which can be downloaded here)."

Then after that just copy the Dosflash.1.7 files, provided in Teddys 1st post below at attachments, to the root directory of FreeDOS bootable flash drive, previously prepared by Rufus.

If no older BIOS-computer, then In UEFI firmware disable UEFI (switch to BIOS/CSM/Legacy (BIOS compatibilty made) and set SATA to IDE-operation.

Boot from FreeDos USB flash drive, and when in FreeDOS with command prompt then type in Dosflash or Dosflash.exe.

Choose correct port number by pressing corresponding number +OK where it shows your drive.
Press on "R"( for Reading)- be very careful, do NOT press on "E", "E" , which means erasing , "E"is directly next to "R" on keyboard, so take the time to really have pressed the "R" button before any Enter.
if mistakenly pressed "E", take attention to really reach the Backspace-button on keyboard as the (unwanted) Return in this case, is directly beneath backspace!!

Then if really only "R" in selection is displayed, confirm with Enter :)
Wait until all 32 slots are done.

I'd make it two times to reading, then check both dumps that both have same checksum, to confirm that also USB flash drive is still OK, especially if it should already have been stressed with much data written to it etc.
As I had an USB flash drive, ca. 100 Gbyte written to it, the pen drive no longer was so reliable, bit flips seen after a few weeks, without using it during that, and always used the safely-remove before etc.

---
If your computer does not have SATA at IDE and UEFI and without BIOS emulation, afaik you can use a virtual machine like VMware booting FreeDOS within there, and it should detect your drive, see previous poster picture on this page here.
Maybe Virtualbox Virtaul machine works too,

I'm not sure though if the computer and virtual machine software must support or (shouldn't use) some kind of special device passthough (Intel VT-d or AMD IOMMU) , so that Dósflash_1.7 in virtual machine can detect the Asus drive correctly.

Last edited:
Mission Accomplished.
Pretty straight forward following the DOS boot disk directions.
I flashed it as a BW-16D1HT
It reads my UHD movie, I will try to rip one to my server to test it out.
Thanks!

Little lost. I have a WH16NS40 with 1.03 firmware. I did everything in the guide. When it says "Clean Firmware" I downloaded the ZIP and inside the zip was a "Clean Firmware" matching 1.03 WH16NS40. I used the EEPROM tool but it prompts for the "Clean firmware" I chose 1.03 should I instead choose 1.02?

Nevermind...figured it out. You need to flash 1.02 if you have 1.03

Last edited:
Who knows. You didn't say the drive model, if bu11 is the firmware version

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

do you know of any external uhd friendly drives i googled it but only came up with internal...

Only one I know of is the LG BE16NU50 with firmware no higher than 1.01
(However I don't see any for sale on Amazon or E-bay at the present time)

You can install an internal uhd friendly drive into a Usb 3.0 external enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray drives.

Hi TeddyRaspin,

i hope you are doing well, i have bought an LGBH16NS55 but unfortunately it as the 1.03 firmware
i am not good at all with hex editing stuff , and i saw in your post that you are offering help.

I made a dump of my BH16NS55 firmware using the dos method, and it worked well at SATA 4.

Here is my original personal 1.03 BH16NS55 firmware .

i would like to turn back uhd capabilities drive signature dv value, and get it working inside anydvd hd with no error.

i was told also you were talking also about laser calibration, is it important also ?

I sent you my original firmware NS55DUDE.ZIP firmware inside a conversation with you inside this forum.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Th3dud3.

You saw that a little late. Teddy hasn't been doing that anymore for months, due to the increasing demand. It got a little too much. You'll be waiting a long time. You'll either have to find someone else to do it, do it yourself, or return the drive and hope the next one has the right firmware.

Just wanted to chime in ans say THANKS! I was able to follow the directions and flash my Asus BW-16D1HT drive that was at 3.03. I actually dont have any UHD disks to try out, but I will go get one now! The drive seems to function normally, so thats good!

[If I have not asked this question before...] What does this accomplish? Does it allow you to burn UHD images? Or, is for general access to UHD discs?

Simple certain 'old' uhd friendly drives have received a new firmware update that closed the loophole used to decrypt uhd discs. New drives of those usually get shipped with that new firmware, and the guide allows to restore the uhd-friendly status if you have the skill.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Confirmed. I purchased Terminator 2 UHD 4k BluRay (was $10 at Best Buy) to test the drive. I had to use DVDFab, but it was able to rip the disc to an MKV.

Thank you so much!

Back