• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Pop-up wrong Drive letter upon insert

FrostByteX

I'm posting here since the other forum indicates "all non HD stuff on AnyDVD (DVD)".

Here's the concise description... When I have had AnyDVD configured for one drive, when I insert a disc it pops-up the status window with the stats of the disc, etc...

I am currently using it on a laptop that has an internal DVD Drive ("D:"), and external Optical Drive (that I've reassigned as "O:"), and a Virtual CloneDrive (that I've reassigned as "V:").

when I insert a physical Blu-Ray in O:, AnyDVD pops up with the status window for V:, and when I mount an ISO in V:, AnyDVD pops up with the status window for O:.

A minor detail, as it only requires a mouse click to move to the correct tab, so I didn't report it earlier since I suspected "sure somebody else will notice and it will be fixed", but it's been quite a few version now with the same behavior, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Did you restart AnyDVD, after you changed the drive letter assignment? If not, please do.
If this doesn't help, please elaborate, what pops up wrongly when. For dummies, step by step, so I can reproduce this problem. At the moment I cannot.

Ugh. Now that I've posted this, and I'm trying to isolate the specific circumstances under which it occurs it keep popping up with the correct drive letter (even though it happened yesterday which drove me to making the post).

My current setup has been in place for over a year, as far as drive letters, etc... I just recalled that when I had a single drive it never posed a problem (likely because there was only one drive to display "status" for.

What I am referring to is when I insert a disc with AnyDVD resident in my tray, it displays the "AnyDVD is scanning the disc!" balloon notification, then the AnyDVD HD main windows pops up on the "Status" page, automatically switched to the drive that has a disc in it displaying the disc's properties.

Oh, wait, I think I just reproduced it. I was testing different combinations of disc insert / mount and AnyDVD startup (as I sometimes insert the disc and then realize that I haven't started AnyDVD yet).

If I have a Blu-ray in my external optical (O:), nothing in D: nor V: and then start AnyDVD, once it starts it will go through the "scanning" process, open the AnyDVD main windows to the status screen, then briefly flash to "O:" and then switch "V:", showing me an empty drive.

I will compile more combinations and sequences of circumstances and pass them along as I encounter specific cases and the steps leading up to it, but at least I have one example to pass along.

I have an E: and an F: drive. If I put a disc in E: and leave F: empty, then start AnyDVD, the AnyDVD status window defaults, in opening, to the last drive letter. It shows the F: drive empty, the E: drive shows the disc.

If I start AnyDVD (which it is made to be running at start-up), then put a disc in E:, the AnyDVD status window will open on the E: drive.

I do not understand your problem. In any circumstance, no drive letter has been "reassigned". The tab with the E: drive that contained the disc showed the disc. Are you saying that the AnyDVD status window under your O: drive did not show the disc?

If I have a Blu-ray in my external optical (O:), nothing in D: nor V: and then start AnyDVD, once it starts it will go through the "scanning" process, open the AnyDVD main windows to the status screen, then briefly flash to "O:" and then switch "V:", showing me an empty drive.

FrostByteX, when you intially turn on AnyDVD, it will scan through all your drives in alphabetical order. Doesn't matter whether a drive actually has a disc, it scans them all.

It then, stops on and displays the last drive it scans.

So, in your case, that's the (empty) V drive.

You wouldn't have noticed in the past because you only had the one drive.

If you keep AnyDVD on all the time (no reason not to), it only scans the drive where you insert a disc.

The Status window then pops up for the disc you inserted.

T

FrostByteX, when you intially turn on AnyDVD, it will scan through all your drives in alphabetical order. Doesn't matter whether a drive actually has a disc, it scans them all.

It then, stops on and displays the last drive it scans.

So, in your case, that's the (empty) V drive.

You wouldn't have noticed in the past because you only had the one drive.

If you keep AnyDVD on all the time (no reason not to), it only scans the drive where you insert a disc.

The Status window then pops up for the disc you inserted.

T
So this is expected behavior then. Okay. It just struck me as odd that when I started AnyDVD afterward it would realize that only the one drive had a disc, scan it, but then pop up displaying status of an empty drive.

I understand the mindset of letting it run all the time, but the machine it's currently on is an old, mutli-purpose machine that I only start the necessary processes / programs needed for whatever task I'm using it for that session.

As I noted in my initial post, not a "deal breaker", and I'm not going to lose sleep. Just wanted to shed some light on the idea that it seemed as though the logical behavior would've been to display status of the drive containing a disc once it's discovered / scanned instead of the empty drive.

I would still swear that there have been instances of mounting a ISO in the virtual drive (V:) and it popping up displaying status of O: (not the last drive), and next time I encounter that I'll collect details and pass them along,

... when you intially turn on AnyDVD, it will scan through all your drives in alphabetical order...

Correction: I noticed from looking at another of my computers that it's not necessarily in alphabetical order.

But the point is it scans all the drives.

I understand the mindset of letting it run all the time, but the machine it's currently on is an old, mutli-purpose machine that I only start the necessary processes / programs needed for whatever task I'm using it for that session.

I hear ya.

I don't think when AnyDVD runs in the background that it's using much of any resources - if it's not actively scanning.

Probably even an old computer wouldn't be impacted by leaving it on permanently. I know I have been doing that since I first started using it on my old Windows XP.

And that thing couldn't even open a browser without sweating (lol).

seemed as though the logical behavior would've been to display status of the drive containing a disc once it's discovered / scanned instead of the empty drive.

Well it scanned the empty drive too. I'm sure it's not just scanning for a disc on start-up -- but also collecting drive information.

It's the difference between initialization behavior vs. on-going use - in initialization it does a sequential scan of all your drives.

When the Status pops up, it's just pointing to the last drive it checked, as I mentioned earlier, which happened to be an empty one.

(Actually, after an initialization it should always point to that drive, empty or not. Unless you add another drive to your computer.)

And, of course, in on-going use, it only needs to scan a drive when you insert a disc.

And when Status pops up, again it's pointing to "the last drive checked".

I would still swear that there have been instances of mounting a ISO in the virtual drive (V:) and it popping up displaying status of O: (not the last drive), and next time I encounter that I'll collect details and pass them along,

Sounds good.

T

Afaik it is in alphabetical order. If you'd change the drive letter of one, it'll change position in the anydvd status window order too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Afaik it is in alphabetical order. If you'd change the drive letter of one, it'll change position in the anydvd status window order too.

That's exactly what I thought. Until I noticed Status on one of my computers looked like this...

Envy 4k AnyDVD drive order.JPG

Now I realize it's because on this computer, I detached the F: drive, used it elsewhere then re-attached it.

... once I exited and re-started AnyDVD, it returned them to alphabetical order.

So you're right and I was right the first time.

T

Or you could simply set VCD drives to 0, drive F will move forward, and then enable the VCD drives again. It'll change letter

Or you could simply set VCD drives to 0, drive F will move forward, and then enable the VCD drives again. It'll change letter

You mean the VCD drive will get assigned a different letter?

No, I intentionally have VCD set to "J" on all my computers -- for uniformity (and sanity's) sake.

T

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. As long as you don't set 'drives' to 0, it'll keep the same letter. That I'm positive off.

Back