• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD UHD Drives and Firmware Questions

Hello,
freedos does not recognize my bh16ns55. :( Settings changed to IDE, but no success. Following message appears:

0) 0xF90 SATA Pri Master None
No ATAPI devices present
C:\>

I think i tried all settings in my BIOS, but no success, unfortunately.

When I set it to AHCI, only: No ATAPI devices present - appears.(n)

Is there a way to downgrade it in Windows?

Hello,
freedos does not recognize my bh16ns55. :( Settings changed to IDE, but no success. Following message appears:

0) 0xF90 SATA Pri Master None
No ATAPI devices present
C:\>

I think i tried all settings in my BIOS, but no success, unfortunately.

When I set it to AHCI, only: No ATAPI devices present - appears.(n)

Is there a way to downgrade it in Windows?
Please post that question in the proper forum section (CD/DVD drives one). Downgrading a drive has nothing to do with AnyDVD uhd status and as such is beyond the scope of this topic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Please post that question in the proper forum section (CD/DVD drives one). Downgrading a drive has nothing to do with AnyDVD uhd status and as such is beyond the scope of this topic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

:confused: O.K., but is not starting on post #464 a guide for downgrading bh16ns55, including the necessary files.?

Why didn´t you write this comment after that post also?;)

I have a LG BE16nu50 BD/BDXL drive, how do I backup the current firmware (1.01)
I want to flash an identical LG BE16nu50 drive.

Firstly, is that possible (I have never messed about with Drives)
Secondly, if it is possible, what s/w do I need to achieve this.
I would be very grateful if someone could take me through this step by step.

Thanks in advance

AACS, Cyberlink, Intel and Microsoft are all working together to prohibit access to UHD Discs unless you system meets all their requirements. Intel makes HDCP and Kabylake was the first CPU/GPU to be HDCP 2.2 & AACS 2.0 Compliant. UHD Drives are purposely blocking file exploration through BUS Encryption. They don't want any software to be able to see the files, because of how successful decryption has been with [standard] Blu-ray. Again, UHD is a specification above BDXL and is tightly focused on firmware & software DRM. The fact that Explorer cannot see the files or even recognize that a disc is in the drive validates exactly what I have been saying.

Excerpt from LG's Support Page:

They have improved BD UHD Disc compatability, by adding the full "rules" put in place by the BDA (and other UHD bodies) to prohibit any level of access to these discs, unless all security/DRM measures have been met and even then, it is treated like a stream of data not actual files for the system to access.
I have an official UHD drive (BU40N) on the latest firmware and I can explore the UHD files in explorer with no problems.

I have an official UHD drive (BU40N) on the latest firmware and I can explore the UHD files in explorer with no problems.
I assume you have a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake based system, running Windows 10, etc. So, in that case, yes, with your system meeting all the Security and DRM requirements, allows Explorer to recognize that there is a disc. It shows the contents of said disc, but it is not accessing the disc directly but through the BUS Encrypted Stream. Are you able to double click and play the files in Media Player, VLC, Kodi, etc.? Are you able to use eac3to or tsMuxer to extract video, audio, etc.? I assume you can play the disc in PowerDVD 17 (because it meets HDCP 2.2 & AACS 2.0). How about AnyDVD HD? Does that work?

They have improved BD UHD Disc compatability, by adding the full "rules" put in place by the BDA (and other UHD bodies) to prohibit any level of access to these discs, unless all security/DRM measures have been met...
Do you assume a firmware update can also update (or rather replace ;)) the cryptographic co-processor to meet all requirements ?

Its nice that a loophole exists, but in my personal opinion, and I am just guessing here, I believe all the loopholes that exist now will be closed , maybe not for a long time but sooner or later everyone will have to update their hardware to comply with UHD standards. Kaby Lake or Better. Just my humble opinion.

CPU is needed only for SGX instructions required for a proper playback, but AACS 2.0 uses an host certificate and the bus encryption, as far as I know, so reading UHD discs could be always related to firmware first, and then to the rest of the hardware system, but, of course, it is only my personal opinion. :p

I assume you have a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake based system, running Windows 10, etc. So, in that case, yes, with your system meeting all the Security and DRM requirements, allows Explorer to recognize that there is a disc. It shows the contents of said disc, but it is not accessing the disc directly but through the BUS Encrypted Stream. Are you able to double click and play the files in Media Player, VLC, Kodi, etc.? Are you able to use eac3to or tsMuxer to extract video, audio, etc.? I assume you can play the disc in PowerDVD 17 (because it meets HDCP 2.2 & AACS 2.0). How about AnyDVD HD? Does that work?
Nope, have tested it on an old Intel i3 370M CPU running Win 10 and WIn 7, can still read the files on the disc and copy them to the hard drive.

As to playing them back, why would I be able to, they will still have the AACS encryption on them just like you would with a Blu-ray., and AnyDVDHD doesn't work with official UHD drives so that won't work either, but the original argument was that it would only read if you have the full security chain which is not true

Last edited:
Actually they'll read fine if you don't have the full security chain, they just won't PLAY fine in a licensed player if you don't have the full chain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Actually they'll read fine if you don't have the full security chain, they just won't PLAY fine in a licensed player if you don't have the full chain.

I know, I wasn't disputing that. I've always been able to read them from UHD drives on systems that they can't play back on

Nope, have tested it on an old Intel i3 370M CPU running Win 10 and WIn 7, can still read the files on the disc and copy them to the hard drive.

As to playing them back, why would I be able to, they will still have the AACS encryption on them just like you would with a Blu-ray., and AnyDVDHD doesn't work with official UHD drives so that won't work either, but the original argument was that it would only read if you have the full security chain which is not true

I know, I wasn't disputing that. I've always been able to read them from UHD drives on systems that they can't play back on
From what I have read and my experience with BDXL "UHD Friendly" Drives being updated with the latest firmware, it locked you out completely. Others have reported similar issues with full UHD Drives to me. Regardless, I will trust that you are able to read full 4K UHD Blu-ray discs on "non-Compliant" systems. I apologize if I misinterpreted all the DRM/Security Chain information and was spreading misinformation. I still think there will be a future Firmware for UHD Compliant Drives (UHD Compliant from their start) that will lock them down as tight as I have experienced with the LG BE16NU50 (a BDXL "UHD Friendly" Drive, originally). Outside of that one issue of being able to see that a disc is in the drive and view the actual file contents, I stand 100% by what I have previously stated. I will go back and review my research and see where I went wrong or was ahead in the process.

As already suggested in post #88, a firmware update can't update the cryptographic co-processor's microchip EEPROM.
I don't know if NS50 drives have a predecessor of the ATECC508A which is build in the real UHD drives.
Either way, that transformation you were assuming isn't that trivial as it looks on first sight.
The same applies to TeddyRaspin's UHD Firmware switching.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I have some issues wrapping my head around being able to flash an older "UHD friendly" drive to a UHD certified drive however this all leads some bigger questions and how LG decided to approach matters. It just seems too easy. I'm not suggesting that the work people like TeddyRaspin are doing is easy but it's not what normal users could ever do. The flashing part is the easy part but still one that people can mess up. Regardless, it seems too easy that tweaking, altering, etc, the firmware could accomplish things.

I'm purely speculating with the following but at some point LG transitioned the design of their drives to be aimed at the future which lead to the "friendly" BDXL drives that had the hardware components needed to put out an actual UHD certified drive. In theory, this would let them build a lot of drives using essentially similar if not identical components but with different firmware limitations. This simplifies production a lot and could also lower production costs in the process. But, as we've seen, this also has come back to bite LG in the ass. Did they ever really think about the fact that the "friendly" drives could see the contents of UHD discs before they began selling them. Did they know but decide that since the contents couldn't be decrypted that there was nothing to worry about? These are important questions and I could see LG put under a microscope with respect to the sale of UHD drives down the road. Their mistake is a massive one regardless of the fact that the loophole can be closed with a firmware update.

Last edited:
Having followed this thread and the ‘UHD’ thread in AnyDVD HD section, I decided it time to commit to a ‘friendly’ drive before they all disappear.

I firstly decided on the LG BH16NS55, hoping it would arrive with 1.02 firmware. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen and the one I ordered came with 1.03. Having seen advice regards 1.03 not being appropriate I questioned a few suppliers but could not get a definitive indication that I would get one with 1.02. Fortunately, I was able to return this drive without penalty and ordered an Asus BW-16D1HT. This arrived with 3.01 firmware, so all was good.

While waiting for my first 4K disc to arrive, I have been trying a few ‘Rip to image’ with AnyDVD HD on a couple of Blu-ray discs. The ripping speed I have been comparing with my elderly Pioneer BDR-206.

Interestingly, the Asus appears slower, reaching a maximum of 21MB/s, whereas the Pioneer reaches 25MB/s (for the same disc).

In part of the UHD thread, it has been suggested the Asus is a lot faster. Does anyone know if 3.01 has riplock, for instance, or knows whether this is what I should expect and that perhaps the BDR-206 is an exceptional drive?

All current modern drives have riplock. But speeds of 20MB+ are very decent.

Asus UHD Friendly drive with firmware greater or equal to 3.00 have not riplock. ;)
Do you have a view why the rip speed appears to be a little slow or is this normal with current drives?

Incidentally, do you know what difference there is between the 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02 firmware versions?

Back