• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD UHD status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not unless requested. They've got plenty of logs. After uhd was first released the forums were nearly flooded.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Not unless requested. They've got plenty of logs. After uhd was first released the forums were nearly flooded.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
Point well taken. It's kind of funny actually. I used to check in here quite frequently to see if there was any news about UHD, but then life got busy, and I stopped paying attention. Turns out I missed the announcement by two weeks.

Hey guys.

Wanted to briefly share my experience so far playing AnyDVD UHD iso's using PDVD 17...

The video quality is excellent!

In comparing them to UHD backup folders made with MakeMKV there is a real difference.

Colors are brighter, contrast is sharper, everything looks pristine, making the MakeMKV folders look almost washed-out in comparison. Maybe the MakeMKV folders do not retain HDR info, I'm not sure. I'll try to figure that out when I get more familiar with UHD.

But more importantly, I prefer these iso's over the actual UHD discs played through a stand-alone player.

Many of the movies I've watched in the player have looked dim to me (compared to their Blu Ray counterparts).

As an example, in Allegiant there's an early scene where the 2 main characters scale a partially-demolished skyscraper and have an intimate conversation at the top. On Blu Ray it's a bright scene with the sun shining on them from the background. With the UHD disc, the scene has more detail but it looks like a cloud is passing over the sun and dimming it. Or maybe more like there's a partial eclipse (lol).

On PDVD playing the iso, the extra detail is there but the scene is bright again looking like a sunny day as on the Blu Ray.

These iso's provide a VERY pleasurable visual experience and have finally convinced me that UHD movies are worth it.

Haven't had a chance to check out sound other than over headphones because the 4k Dolby Atmos receiver I got is not set up yet. Will comment on that when the receiver is in place.

Sounds good over the PC headphones though.

Big thumbs up AnyDVD!

T

Wanted to briefly share my experience so far playing AnyDVD UHD iso's using PDVD 17... The video quality is excellent!

In comparing them to UHD backup folders made with MakeMKV there is a real difference.

Colors are brighter, contrast is sharper, everything looks pristine, making the MakeMKV folders look almost washed-out in comparison. Maybe the MakeMKV folders do not retain HDR info, I'm not sure. I'll try to figure that out when I get more familiar with UHD.

Sounds like you're watching the films on a non-HDR monitor? As in order to get an approximation of the HDR colors/contrast the video player used needs to have a HDR to SDR tonemapping function, otherwise colors and contrast will appear washed out. PDVD 17 likely has such a function. I watch the films using PotPlayer with MadVR as the renderer with its tonemapping function enabled since my monitor is non-HDR. Turns the normally washed out raw input into the more accurate presentation (as much as it can being an SDR monitor rather than HDR).

Status Update:

Got my copy of Planet Earth II UHD. Hooked up my UHD friendly ASUS BW-16D1HT (3.00 FW). Fired up Windows XP (SP2!) from an old 2GB Compact Flash card. Installed AnyDVD 8.2.2.0. Requested trial version. Loaded Disc #1 of Planet Earth II UHD. AnyDVD scanned the disc, and indicated success. Ripped the disc to unprotected image (52.5 GiB). Took the image over to my laptop (Ivy Bridge CPU and graphics) running Gentoo Linux. Fired up my Windows XP VM in VirtualBox (where I do all my Blu Ray work). Unprotected image mounted in Virtual Clone Drive with no trouble. Fired up Kodi in the host OS, and pointed it at the STREAM folder from the mounted image. Loaded up one of the ~17GiB .m2ts files, and....

PRESTO! Snowy mountains and clouds! The disc has been decrypted! It is pegging all 8 of my CPU cores trying to play the video, and stuttering pretty badly, but that was completely expected. I would have been shocked if my Ivy Bridge CPU could playback 3840x2160 HEVC video smoothly. Next I'll try playing it on my systems that have Nvidia GT 1030 cards. They should be able to handle this video.

So, AnyDVD UHD Status: Working!
My status: Very Happy!

So, all that's needed to decrypt a UHD disc is a UHD friendly drive? I thought it also needed a system that was capable of playing back UHD commercial discs (recent CPU + motherboard, bus encryption, etc.).

So, all that's needed to decrypt a UHD disc is a UHD friendly drive? I thought it also needed a system that was capable of playing back UHD commercial discs (recent CPU + motherboard, bus encryption, etc.).

All you need to decrypt is a UHD friendly drive and AnyDVDHD. Playing the result is quite a different matter.

All the other crap is only needed if you want to conform to how you are supposed to watch UHD disks.

All of the other restrictions are being enforced by the software player (PowerDVD 17). They are to protect the decryption keys while they are in use, and the decoded video while it is moving through the video hardware out to the monitor (where HDCP 2.2 usage is also mandated). Official players have to do this all at once, while AnyDVD's job is decryption only. This can be done using pretty much any CPU these days, and once the data is decrypted, AnyDVD doesn't really care what you do with it from there. In my case, I just wanted the disc decrypted, and now I can experiment with playback on any system I want to. The unprotected image is on an external HDD that I can move from system to system, and I no longer have to worry about things like AACS 2.0, bus encryption, and UHD friendly (or unfriendly) drives. Of course, as soon as I get another UHD Blu Ray disc, I'll have to get the drive out of its box, and do the UHD friendly dance again (I also have the other Planet Earth II disc to rip).

So yes, decryption only requires a UHD friendly drive, and a system running a recent version of AnyDVD. Playback of the content itself is quite another matter. I think the only "official" hardware able to playback UHD video is Intel Kaby Lake (and newer) integrated video. I had limited success getting my Nvidia GT 1030 cards to do it, but that's mainly due to not all of the Linux software players fully supporting Nvidia's new video acceleration API yet (CUVID/NVDEC). The old one (VDPAU) doesn't support the 10-bit video found on these discs. I'm hoping that as UHD decrypted content becomes more commonplace, support for the newer API will improve. I think things are in better shape with Nvidia and AMD video acceleration on Windows with MPC-HC (and whatever variants are popular right now), but since I don't run any Windows OS beyond XP, I don't have any first hand experience with doing it that way.

All of the other restrictions are being enforced by the software player (PowerDVD 17). They are to protect the decryption keys while they are in use, and the decoded video while it is moving through the video hardware out to the monitor (where HDCP 2.2 usage is also mandated). Official players have to do this all at once, while AnyDVD's job is decryption only. This can be done using pretty much any CPU these days, and once the data is decrypted, AnyDVD doesn't really care what you do with it from there. In my case, I just wanted the disc decrypted, and now I can experiment with playback on any system I want to. The unprotected image is on an external HDD that I can move from system to system, and I no longer have to worry about things like AACS 2.0, bus encryption, and UHD friendly (or unfriendly) drives. Of course, as soon as I get another UHD Blu Ray disc, I'll have to get the drive out of its box, and do the UHD friendly dance again (I also have the other Planet Earth II disc to rip).

So yes, decryption only requires a UHD friendly drive, and a system running a recent version of AnyDVD. Playback of the content itself is quite another matter. I think the only "official" hardware able to playback UHD video is Intel Kaby Lake (and newer) integrated video. I had limited success getting my Nvidia GT 1030 cards to do it, but that's mainly due to not all of the Linux software players fully supporting Nvidia's new video acceleration API yet (CUVID/NVDEC). The old one (VDPAU) doesn't support the 10-bit video found on these discs. I'm hoping that as UHD decrypted content becomes more commonplace, support for the newer API will improve. I think things are in better shape with Nvidia and AMD video acceleration on Windows with MPC-HC (and whatever variants are popular right now), but since I don't run any Windows OS beyond XP, I don't have any first hand experience with doing it that way.
At least on Windows VLC 3.0 plays 10 bit color and HDR, at least on my test equipment (Windows 10 & Nvidia 1xxx with HDR enabled). Playing HDR content on SDR eqipment was awful. (Brightness & colors wrong). Playing SDR content on HDR equipment was even worse. I was surprised, it even supports Blu-ray menus (only tested on SDR Blu-ray).
Playback on PC is so complicated.... I vote for Amlogic (X96) box (cheap) or Shield TV (more family compatible).

At least on Windows VLC 3.0 plays 10 bit color and HDR, at least on my test equipment (Windows 10 & Nvidia 1xxx with HDR enabled). Playing HDR content on SDR eqipment was awful. (Brightness & colors wrong). Playing SDR content on HDR equipment was even worse. I was surprised, it even supports Blu-ray menus (only tested on SDR Blu-ray).
Playback on PC is so complicated.... I vote for Amlogic (X96) box (cheap) or Shield TV (more family compatible).

I just received an ASUS BW-16NS60 drive with firmware 3.00. I plan to use AnyDVD to rip UHD Blu-ray to an iso on an external hard drive. I have Windows 10, 64 bit operating system with i7 6700k and GTX980Ti Graphic Card. What software player do I use to play back the decrypted iso on my computer? I have a 4k computer monitor but it does not have HDR. Can both VLC and Power DVD 17 be used to play back the decrypted iso's? Testiles mentions that he used Power DVD 17 to play his iso's. I was confused by Turleggip post. When he states "playback of the content itself is quite a different matter." Is he referring to decrypted content or to protected UHD video?

My primary mode for playing the riped content will be from a Zappiti Duo 4k HDR in the living room. My television is 4k but not HDR capable. I currently have ripped m2ts DVD's and Blue-ray iso's on the hard drives.

I also vote for the Shield. I grabbed one and tested out some ripped MKV's using DNLA and Kodi on the Shield. One of which was Dunkirk ripped from UHD. Now I only have a 1080p plasma screen currently, but, it played quite well. Some day I'll grab an OLED screen and really push this thing.

I have the Shield as well but my Zappiti contains my established library fine art and movie wall. Been the Kodi rout. Not for me. I just want to clarify that I can use Power DVD 17 to play back rippped UHD iso's on my computer as Testiles post seems to indicate.

I also vote for the Shield. I grabbed one and tested out some ripped MKV's using DNLA and Kodi on the Shield. One of which was Dunkirk ripped from UHD. Now I only have a 1080p plasma screen currently, but, it played quite well. Some day I'll grab an OLED screen and really push this thing.

Right now my player is a NUC-type box running a mythtv frontend (with integrated Netflix and Amazon and such) ... I imagine I would be able to replace that with a newer NUC-type box that had 4k support. I'm not sure what's up with the color spaces though. My long-ish term plan was to buy a 4K screen once the deeper color space and gamut stuff had settled down and wide gamut screens were available for reasonable prices.

which is to say ... for someone in my situation, is a NUC-type a good idea? A shield for $200 seems to be a good alternative if I can give up the > rec 709 color.

You guys are awesome. Hidden Figures ripped in a bit more than half an hour (no transcode ... hvec main 10 and yuv420p101e).

I also find it ironic that I bought the movie and a drive only because of the work you and the community have done here ... and it really increases the attractiveness of upgrading our main screen to 4k and upgrading our media player ...

Sounds like you're watching the films on a non-HDR monitor?

No, I'm using a Sony TV that is 4k and HDR compatible.

... Can both VLC and Power DVD 17 be used to play back the decrypted iso's? Testiles mentions that he used Power DVD 17 to play his iso's ...

Yes, I use Power DVD 17 but Cyberlink says in order to play UHD discs, folders or iso's, PDVD 17 requires Intel Graphics and Intel Graphics only.

T

Right now my player is a NUC-type box running a mythtv frontend (with integrated Netflix and Amazon and such) ... I imagine I would be able to replace that with a newer NUC-type box that had 4k support. I'm not sure what's up with the color spaces though. My long-ish term plan was to buy a 4K screen once the deeper color space and gamut stuff had settled down and wide gamut screens were available for reasonable prices.

which is to say ... for someone in my situation, is a NUC-type a good idea? A shield for $200 seems to be a good alternative if I can give up the > rec 709 color.

I've no experience with the NUCs. I have an HTPC that uses madvr and I use J River MC for my library which is what I use for DLNA for the Shield to pick up. Works for me. I'm not yet in the 4K space so I can't really say what works best, but, the Shield seems to have plenty of power.

No, I'm using a Sony TV that is 4k and HDR compatible.

Yes, I use Power DVD 17 but Cyberlink says in order to play UHD discs, folders or iso's, PDVD 17 requires Intel Graphics and Intel Graphics only.

T
Those specific requirements assume you’re playing the original encrypted media. Playing the unencrypted rips loosens up the requirements quite a bit, but still requires adequate horsepower to handle the 4K video. But can we split the playback discussion into a separate thread? This thread is for ripping...

I was confused by Turleggip post. When he states "playback of the content itself is quite a different matter." Is he referring to decrypted content or to protected UHD video?

I was referring to the decrypted content. The video is 3840x2160p @ 24fps encoded with HEVC 10-bit, which is very demanding to decode. It takes a pretty beefy CPU (I think my AMD Ryzen 5 6-core could do it), or a fairly recent video card with the right hardware acceleration (and the right software, which is the problem I'm running into over on Linux). However, the decryption I was able to do on an old Core2 Duo (10 year old CPU) running Windows XP. Not very demanding at all.

So to sum up:

Decryption: No special hardware needed (just a UHD friendly drive and AnyDVD).
Playback: Modern hardware needed (though it doesn't have to be the full requirements that PowerDVD demands).

Those specific requirements assume you’re playing the original encrypted media. Playing the unencrypted rips loosens up the requirements quite a bit, but still requires adequate horsepower to handle the 4K video.

I don't know, greynolds, I don't think so.

Here's a screen shot of the error message I get when I try to play a UHD iso on my desktop that has an AMD graphics card.

PDVD 17 error message on P-C.JPG

And this desktop has plenty of horsepower. But not an Intel graphics card.

On the other hand, I have an i5 laptop with Intel graphics and it will "play" UHD iso's. Playback is choppy because it's only an i5 processor but at least PDVD 17 allows playback.

Yes, we can split this off to another thread if you want.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back