• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Friendly Drive question

Turtleggjp

Just curious, when the UHD friendly drives get their firmware updated to become no longer friendly, does this make them official UHD drives, or do they now become useless for both ripping and official UHD playback?

Logically the firmware would allow the official playing of UHD discs, since said firmware enables AACS 2.0.
What manufacturer would create a firmware to make the drive totally useless for both venues ?

Just curious, when the UHD friendly drives get their firmware updated to become no longer friendly, does this make them official UHD drives, or do they now become useless for both ripping and official UHD playback?

A "UHD Friendly" drive is a Blu-ray drive that just happens to also be able to view the contents of a UHD disc. It is not a certified or official UHD drive. Using a loophole the drive can be used to read and decrypt a UHD disc. With the release of newer firmware from LG & ASUS the loophole has been closed and the drive becomes useless for UHD discs. It was never meant to be used with UHD discs to begin with. It remains fully functional in every other respect.

Logically the firmware would allow the official playing of UHD discs, since said firmware enables AACS 2.0.
What manufacturer would create a firmware to make the drive totally useless for both venues ?

That's not what is being asked. The question had to do with "UHD Friendly" drives. They do not support for AACS 2.0. You are talking about a certified UHD drive.

That's not what is being asked. The question had to do with "UHD Friendly" drives. They do not support for AACS 2.0. You are talking about a certified UHD drive.

So the answer to my question is, the firmware update does not add AACS 2.0 support (thus making them official drives), but rather just closes whatever loophole we are currently using (thus making them useless for either purpose). Sad...

Well, I intend to enjoy this while it lasts. I've just bought my first UHD Blu Ray as a result of this "loophole" and I am considering buying more in the future. This buying of discs will end abruptly if I am ever unable to decrypt them. I have no intention of touching the firmware on my drive, but they might manage to close the loophole some other way.

Back