• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WARNING UPDATING WINDOWS 10 to LATEST UPDATE

No issues with 3703 on Asus Z170-AR with 7700k and corsair platinum 3000MHz with XMP enabled, also did performance test on Samsung EVO 850 with latest Samsung Magician 5.2, read 550mbs and write 527mbs. Rapid mode not enabled, all seems pretty stable to me.

Looks like the drive data 4k issue looks fixed. Once this dust settled ill be ordering my new core 7 coffee lake with proper motherboard. Just want to wait till things settle a bit.....

Well update succesful so far. That many reboots always scare me. and then that basic text message and having to go into bios again to "load setup". Why can't the damn thing just auto load last configuration

New benchmark tests

546/518/66842/51339
550/471/60538/49433

go figure

ah well. At least i'm protected now, and i went from 1902 straight to 3703

No issues at all with 3703, as a matter of fact I think its a bit smoother.

Well here's a weird issue. Just doing my first conversion after updating to 3703 the CLBD encoder output gets MAXED OUT on my SSD! while decover input (using hw acc) also gets maxed out (max quality setting) @Pete. Though i'm not getting any "could be faster" messages. Doesn't stay there at all times but it does constantly fluctuates. The top 3 bars even often hit 0% for a split second then recover.

This patch definitely is caused performance drops on my rig

clbd-decoding-output.png

Given that the "newer" BIOS microcode changes are supposed to be validating in the coming week(s) I am going to hold off updating until there is more word on the matter. Enough people have reported some odd behavior like system freezes, lock-ups, force quits, etc to make me hesitant. I'd prefer to avoid that altogether.

Given that the "newer" BIOS microcode changes are supposed to be validating in the coming week(s) I am going to hold off updating until there is more word on the matter. Enough people have reported some odd behavior like system freezes, lock-ups, force quits, etc to make me hesitant. I'd prefer to avoid that altogether.
Now why didn't you post links to such posts. I'd have waited too. Probably can't downgrade without risk

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Now why didn't you post links to such posts. I'd have waited too. Probably can't downgrade without risk

The situation is in constant flux. Initially I saw no reports. Then reports were limited; only spotty. Then another person reports an issue gaming where there is a 2-3 second freeze, etc. I don't read the ROG forums daily because I'm not rushing into the update. I've been waiting to let things shake out. The BIOS has only been out for a week. Hardly enough time to judge and as I already posted in the forums Intel is working on new microcode changes to resolve the reboot issues with the current fix. Honestly, I'm surprised that you updated so quickly given your strong avoidance of BIOS updates.

Take a look in the ASUS ROG forums.

Republic of Gamers forums: https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?201-Maximus-VIII-Motherboards-(Z170)

I already posted the ASUS forum link specifically about the new BIOS like 8 posts back.

BIOS 3703: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99040-Bios-3703

I've seen at least one person report downgrading the BIOS w/o issue. I'd not recommend doing that unless you actually run into enough problems to make it necessary, however.

It looks like you can roll back the BIOS but you'd have to do some research on that. I see at least one post where someone has gone from 3703 back to 3401.

Post 63 in the below thread,
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99040-Bios-3703&p=700459#post700459
Good to know. Thought it had been out a few weeks already. Ah well, I'll keep an eye on system stability. First sign of any trouble and I'm downgrading unless a newer one will be out

It is not possible to downgrade microcode updates even when you flash an older biosversion.

But you can disable the Windows patch in the registry.

I'm not uninstalling a critical update like that. Speeds improved a while ago. Maybe they will again

This is scary how Microsoft gots us by the balls with the last OS windows will ever release. Funnel everyone into one narrow line as they shoot each user just like cows to slaughter figuratively speaking.

My problem with Microsoft windows 10 is that I am on a metered connection most of the time. Recently, earlier this month, my metered connection became useless. After searching for something using bandwidth and finding nothing. I tried the update app which was harder to find than I remember. Any way it was about 30% into a download. Totally ignoring my setting of do not download over a metered connection. Now this connection is slow and cannot handle a lot of traffic. So my computer, at least internet wise, was useless for about 3 hours. It was only later, that I realized that windows update will ignore all setting if Microsoft feels its update are more important than my wallet.

The "pause" feature has always worked for me in being able to pause updates albeit temporary. I've never used the metered connection option. The uncontrolled background downloading is definitely an issue especially on older slower systems. When maintaining systems like that I tend to take a down and dirty approach and disable the Windows Update service until it's time to update and then enable, download, install, reboot, disable.

Thankfully, under Windows 10 Pro you can use the Group Policy editor to have more control of updates. But for non-Pro versions there aren't many options to have real control over things.

The "pause" feature has always worked for me in being able to pause updates albeit temporary. I've never used the metered connection option. The uncontrolled background downloading is definitely an issue especially on older slower systems. When maintaining systems like that I tend to take a down and dirty approach and disable the Windows Update service until it's time to update and then enable, download, install, reboot, disable.

Thankfully, under Windows 10 Pro you can use the Group Policy editor to have more control of updates. But for non-Pro versions there aren't many options to have real control over things.
I run win10 64bit pro delayed my updates for as long as I can.

... Thankfully, under Windows 10 Pro you can use the Group Policy editor to have more control of updates. But for non-Pro versions there aren't many options to have real control over things.

I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home when it was free and found some sellers on ebay with activation keys to upgrade to Pro. Have to be careful to find the key that did not require a reinstall of Windows. MS activated it and I was happy. I think the cost was $10 USD. The first thing I did was use the Group Policy Editor.

Back