• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My Life Is Tech

Does the Keep Protection option for creating an ISO image of a disc, keep the protection for regular DVDs as well? If not, how would we go about keeping the protection to make a 1:1 copy of a DVD? And is there a way to not move the other "features" of a DVD from a protected ISO, but remove them afterwords if one chooses to decrypt the ISO instead? And another similar question, if the features and protections were not removed at the original rip to image, could they be removed afterwords from the protected ISO image if desired?

For example, under the settings menu for DVD ripping, if we disabled all of these settings for feature removal, and ripped the disc to image, would this copy the disc 1:1? Then if we decided to remove these features later on and create a unprotected ISO, or just use AnyDVD to decrypt the ISO to play it in a software player, would it be able to decrypt it without the original disc?

If you read the warnings, making a DVD ISO with AnyDVD is discouraged.
It's outside the design parameters. ISO is for Blu-Ray.
This makes all the rest of this moot - sorry to say.
-W

Ah, I just read that in the FAQ, though my question still stands, is there a way to copy the DVD somehow, either rip to hard disc or otherwise, and keep the copy protection? Should I use CloneDVD2 or Imgburn to create an ISO file of the DVD? I'd prefer not to rip to hard disc since in the past that caused issues with playback order for me, and I'm unsure of how to fix that.

You can't make a DVD iso AND keep the protection, period. The protection won't let you

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Ah I see, so I'm assuming HD DVDs and Blu-Rays are the exception to this then. Well then, here's the ultimate question I have.

Is there any reason to keep the protection on a DVD like there is on HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs? I've heard that the reason for keeping the protection on ISOs of HD DVDs and Blu-Ray discs is so that they can be remastered, e.g. features removed, removing prohibited user operations, trailers, and other such things which can't be done on a unprotected ISO because it's somehow tied to the encryption on the disc. Is there anything similar to this for DVD protection?

I've gotten this information from this thread: Keep Protection (Blu ray/HD DVD)" ticked or unticked?
And from the following posts from said thread:

OK and what is the purpose of keeping an ISO protected?

For newer blu rays that Anydvd do not yet have the correct playlist for, when making a copy, should the ISO be protected or unprotected? Like Expendables and Hunger Games for example.

Changing re-mastering options afterwards (speedmenus, skip annoyances, change region lock, remove BD-Live or keep it, ... ).

To confirm, changing these remastering options afterwards is not possible when protection is removed?

Also, can a protected ISO be converted to an unprotected ISO?

Because certain actions and functions simply are tied to the encryption. Eg you can't remove a disc region without removing encryption too.

When all is said and done, if there is any reason to keep the protection on the DVDs like for the above reasons, how would we go about creating a protected ISO of the DVD? By unchecking all of the options under the feature removal of AnyDVD and using CloneDVD2 or Imgburn to create a protected ISO? And could we decrypt this protected ISO when it's mounted with AnyDVD running and remove all the stuff like structural protection and region blocking, etc, etc?

Edit: Even if you did say, rip the DVD to ISO, and it copied the structural protection as well, couldn't you re-rip that ISO while it's mounted and remove that protection?

Last edited:
You can't keep the protection on DVDs AT ALL regardless of your ripping method (ISO or folder). The protection won't let you. You want to rip for backup, protection MUST BE removed. That's why imgburn for example can't make an ISO of a DVD without a decryption tool running, it'll error out because of the protection

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Is there any reason to keep the protection on a DVD like there is on HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs?
No. On HD-DVD / BD AnyDVD uses files from the protection (AACS, BDSVM) for remastering

Actually, it is AnyDVD which won't let you. Because it would just be a lot of work without benefit.
No. On HD-DVD / BD AnyDVD uses files from the protection (AACS, BDSVM) for remastering

Ah, so if I'm understanding correctly, removing the protection from the DVD and having a unprotected ISO/Folder would still allow you to remove trailers, PUO and other such "features" from the mounted ISO with AnyDVD in the background, correct? Thanks for all the information, and sorry for spamming the forum here lately, just have a lot of questions and curiosity. :p

Also one more question. I know copying DVDs to ISO within AnyDVD is not recommended due to the Structual Obfuscation on some discs, but I've a theory. If one were to copy the disc to ISO by using AnyDVD, wouldn't one also be able to mount the ISO in VirtualCloneDrive, and copy the iso again using either AnyDVD to copy it to folder, or using CloneDVD2 or similar to create a clean ISO without the structural obfuscation? And on that note, how would one tell it to remove the structural obfuscation? I'm hesitant to copying to folder since I've experienced it messing with the playback order of some movies, thus I prefer ISO if possible.

Better to just rip to folder and make an ISO from the folder.
Any bad experience you had was freakish. Not the norm.
-W

Also one more question. I know copying DVDs to ISO within AnyDVD is not recommended due to the Structual Obfuscation on some discs, but I've a theory. If one were to copy the disc to ISO by using AnyDVD, wouldn't one also be able to mount the ISO in VirtualCloneDrive, and copy the iso again using either AnyDVD to copy it to folder, or using CloneDVD2 or similar to create a clean ISO without the structural obfuscation?
Sure, but these discs are full of deliberate read errors. Good luck.

@James If it's anydvd that won't let you, then why won't IMGBurn do it either with AnyDVD DISABLED? Any attempt to copy a DVD with anydvd disabled will result in imgburn failure last time i tried, the log would be filled with errors unless things changed.

@James If it's anydvd that won't let you, then why won't IMGBurn do it either with AnyDVD DISABLED? Any attempt to copy a DVD with anydvd disabled will result in imgburn failure last time i tried, the log would be filled with errors unless things changed.

The drive will return an error when something attempts to read a protected sector and authentication hasn't been performed.

You could authenticate the drive/disc and then read all the (readable) sectors, but of course everything is still protected by css.

well that's certainly interesting. I always figured it was the protection kicking in. Thx :)

Just a "Q".. Why would you want to keep the protection on a DVD???

I typically copy (backup) only the movie.. However, in rare circumstances, I will "clone" the whole DVD. Using anydvdHD and CloneDVD2. The result, a perfect DVD (duel layer if I do not want compression (only if required)).

So.. Back to my question.. Why would you want to make a DVD with the protection still active??

Scratches head.. :confused:

Sure, but these discs are full of deliberate read errors. Good luck.

Wouldn't AnyDVD be able to fix those read errors though in the ISO, as it's designed to do if you were to copy it again from the DVD ISO with say, AnyDVD running in the background and using CloneDVD2 to make a clean ISO? Or copying it to folder from the ISO with AnyDVD running?

Just a "Q".. Why would you want to keep the protection on a DVD???

Scratches head.. :confused:

I was mainly asking about it because I know that the HD DVDs and Blu-Rays need the protection intact in order to "remaster" the disc, e.g. removing trailers, PUOs, etc, so I was wondering if DVDs were the same, but from the sounds of it, they don't require the protection and you could still remove additional "features" from the copied disc on the hard drive if you so chose without the protection intact.

Wouldn't AnyDVD be able to fix those read errors though in the ISO, as it's designed to do if you were to copy it again from the DVD ISO with say, AnyDVD running in the background and using CloneDVD2 to make a clean ISO? Or copying it to folder from the ISO with AnyDVD running?
Yes, it does so, when it removes the protection.
Again, protected DVD images are a waste of time and offer no benefit. I am no longer investing any more time even talking about it. Have a nice day. :D

@My Life Is Tech :
If you decide to make an iso of a DVD-ROm then always with AnyDVD running in background.

I have some small phenomenoms, sometimes when Ripping a DVD-ROM to HDD folder structure (AnyDVD Rip to HDD), when creating an iso of a ripped DVD folder structure (from DVD-ROM with structural copy protection)
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/any...reation-from-files-folders.71101/#post-460882

But James explained it's just cosmetic. And the iso from files folder still plays fine the same way of course :)
Due to the NTSC instead of PAL anomaliy I prefer to make the iso directly of the DVD-ROM., not from the folder structure, so tha there's not this cosmetic (irrelevant) thing happening.
It's just me who want it appearing "perfect".
When making the iso with CloneDVD directly from the DVD the anomaly is happening as well, because fake chapter files or dummy files removed or inserted by AnyDVD (didn't understand completely what he said), and AnyDVD reads some information from this, "thinking" it's NTSC
instead of PAL
Another reason why I prefer create an iso directly from the DVD-ROM with AnyDVD using ImgBurn, it takes along the original layer break position from the original DVD-ROM if it has two layers (Opposite Track Patch), and it is saved to an extra (small) .mds file which I can mount with Alcohol.
When I mount from iso instead, then AnyDVD tell half sector count quite exact (50%) for first layer. Alcohol software cannot mount from .dvd file.
But ImgBurn also creates a .dvd file as AnyDVD and CloneDVD does.

I've tested the iso which I made with ImgBurn+AnyDVD directly from the DVD-ROM.
AnyDVD Rip to HDD or CloneDVD still can remove the pseudo file chapters/file entries from the iso afterwards, from the DVD-ROM with strutural copy protection)

But the mods and devs wrote I shouldn't recommend the method to create an iso with ImgBurn+AnyDVD.
This should be done with CloneDVD. Because I guess it's more complictated, when it's a structural copy protected disc, handling such special iso, eg. with transcoding software.
Irretating and problematic when people want to use this with video editing software, and people perhaps don't think/keep in mind about that they would need this with rerip this with Rip to HDD, to correct this, so more circumstantially and time consuming etc if they want to use this,
and complain about why it's not working for video editing software/transcoder.
(So why not rip to HDD in the first place, or why not using CloneDVD in the first place)

I must say when mounting the iso from ImgBurn+AnyDVD AnyDVD still says "Found and removed 12 potential bad sector protections".
The bad sector protection message in the AnyDVD status window always appeared with DVD-ROMs with strutural copy protection.

Last edited:
Back