• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unsupported format -- Blu-ray

OneTwoThree

• the title of the disc and its country of origin : Star Wars II Attack of the Clones
  • EAN / UPC number (barcode) : 024543876229
  • what you are trying to do or setting you wanted to use when the error occurred : Play in PowerDVD 10 -- also cannot rip
  • IMPORTANT: what is the error message? "There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive"

I was playing this disc, then when I came back, the above error message was displayed. I have included the log file, but the other Blu-ray disc (I & III) have the same error. Following the instruction to diagnose, I reset to default, attempted to rip to image, with keep protection.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.1.7.12_Info_E_ATTACK_OF_THE_CLONES.ziplog
    826.2 KB · Views: 10
I reset to default, attempted to rip to image, with keep protection.

It's a bit unclear - you mentioned "also cannot rip".
So you're saying "attempted to rip to image, with keep protection." and that failed?
So what message did you get then?
The error message you mentioned above "...disc with unsupported format...", I take it, is from PowerDVD 10.
If ripping with AnyDVD failed, you must have gotten a completely different message from AnyDVD (you know, it's much easier for us to deal with error messages given by our own software).

Sequence of events:
1. Put disc in drive
2. AnyDVD scans
3. Open PowerDVD
4. Play (disc plays, all is fine)
5. After some time, and in the middle of the video, push stop.
6. Eject disc
7. Time passes
8. Put disc in drive
9. AnyDVD scans
10. Open PowerDVD
11. Receive error message (No chance to push play)
12. Open AnyDVD Ripper
13. Check "Keep Protection"
14. Click "Copy Disc"
15. Rip starts out at reasonable MB/s (~20 +/-)
16. As time passes rate goes down (under 0.5).
17. Click abort, as the disc is going to take over a week to rip.
18. Read forum posts.
19. Write message above.

Sounds to me like a bad disc, plain and simple.

Sounds to me like a corrupted cache. If the OneTwoThree is going to do that he should reboot his computer.

More information--
Yes, I did reboot my computer, but that did not help.

1. Reboot
2. Put disc in drive.
3. Verify same behavior as discussed above.
NOTE: AnyDVD will not rip disc.

4. Use Handbrake to rip chapters.

Yes, that's correct, Handbrake recognizes the disc and is able to rip all chapters. I did fast forward through the resulting files playing different sections to verify such, and I checked all files. All fine. I did not check every minute of every chapter.

5. Try AnyDVD again, but it won't rip (slows down to under 0.5 MB/s).

I am going to say this disc, which is from my personal library and played fine in the drive a few days ago and works fine with Handbrake with AnyDVD running, is not the issue. I am also going to suggest that the drive has the ability to read the disc, and thus is not directly the issue.

In the end, this is somewhere between AnyDVD/operating system/hardware.

Any further help/suggestions are appreciated.

That proves nothing other than that the main movie file of the disc will rip. Handbrake may be ripping the main movie but it is still passing it through AnyDVD so all you've proved is that the main movie seems to be OK but not the rest of the disc.
When ripping with AnyDVD it is ripping the whole disc so it is also ripping files other than the main movie which is where the read error may occur.

Simple way to test if the disc has reader errors.

Exit out of AnyDVD and use Imgburn to create an ISO. If it has to slow down and make multiple passes on the disc to complete then you have a faulty disc

Last edited:
I ripped every single chapter, not just the main movie. Now if there is a read error outside of each and every chapter that Handbrake has access to and AnyDVD is reading, then that's a possibility.

That said, the disc worked fine a few days ago, and I could play it using PowerDVD. Now I cannot play it on PowerDVD, cannot rip it on AnyDVD, but can, as stated above, rip every chapter with Handbrake.

You do realise there are other files on a Blu-ray other than the video files?

Also every one of those 'chapter's are passed through AnyDVD just like they are when the disc is ripped to remove the encryption from them so if it was an AnyDVD issue you would get exactly the same result as when ripping the disc.

When you tried to play it in PowerDVD did you disable AnyDVD?

I'm going to try a new drive. I'll report back in a few days.

EDIT: And, I thank you for your assistance!

Just try ripping it with imgburn to an ISO with AnyDVD disabled, if it doesn't rip or slows right down during the rip then it's most likely the disc

Just try ripping it with imgburn to an ISO with AnyDVD disabled, if it doesn't rip or slows right down during the rip then it's most likely the disc

Already tried that
12. Open AnyDVD Ripper
14. Click "Copy Disc"

Meaning it's very likely defective disc

Ch3vr0n,

I highly doubt there are suddenly 3 different defective discs, one of which was working a few days ago. Maybe I should try more in my collection? How many? Three is sufficient for me to start questioning the basic claim that discs are suddenly failing. Could it be the three discs are bad, including one that suddenly failed? Yes, but the chances must be small.

How many more discs should I try before we can eliminate the discs?

If it is happening across a few discs then yes it may be a failing drive, but I don't see you mention it happening on more than just this one disc in any earlier posts so we didn't know that

Adbear,

In the original post: "I have included the log file, but the other Blu-ray disc (I & III) have the same error."

I picked disc II to watch, but it's a set of 3, so I tried the other 2 discs.

Sorry, I missed that.

Even so it's still going to be either a faulty set of discs or a failing drive. Blu-ray's don't contain bad sector copy protection, and especially on one that's been around for a while.

Sequence of events:
1. Put disc in drive
2. AnyDVD scans
3. Open PowerDVD
4. Play (disc plays, all is fine)
5. After some time, and in the middle of the video, push stop.
6. Eject disc
7. Time passes
8. Put disc in drive
9. AnyDVD scans
10. Open PowerDVD
11. Receive error message (No chance to push play)
12. Open AnyDVD Ripper
14. Click "Copy Disc"
18. Read forum posts.
19. Write message above.

Well I've noticed, that the reading speed goes down when reaching barely/or not readable sectors during the copy process. The estimated time predicted to finish the process is not always accurate. I guess it is calculated at each time from the current read speed at which how long it would need to rip the still missing part related to the whole disc.
When the problematic part is passed it is much faster.
But ripping programs are not always best options with prblematic discs.

You said you aborted, you should run it for at least a few minutes or longer,let's see, there should be soon possibly bad sector messages appearing.

"ddrescue" program (free, open source and GPL) is cool, it recovered fully 100% my problematic Blu-ray discs (encrypted iso) :)
Then mounting that in a virtual drive
And then ripping to decrypted iso with AnyDVD +ImgBurn or CloneBD worked like a charm.

I'm eager to find out if this method helped here too with your disc.
If you're interested, could guide you how to use ddrescue.
As I must say, two discs had issues, both at 50%, but not exactly all at same sector positions,
so it was possible to recover the data from a spare disc with also had issues.

Last edited:
AnyDVD is good for bad sector based protections and other protection stuff etc., but I'm not sure about normal unreadable sectors,
based on bad fabrication or scratches causing this.

Still AnyDVD is needed later after the ddrescue process to decrypt the image, for playing or by reripping :)
The problem is, those programs can't resume if interrupted, if you want to procede the copy/rescue process in another optical drive, which might be able to read out further problematic blocks, which the other drive couldn't.
Also you've to click through error messages about bad sector readings all the time etc.
takes more time etc.
So normal ripping programs are not specialized for Blu-rays and DVDs and CDs on normal unreadable sectors, (not based on a copy protection).

Though "ddrescue" (gddrescue) is bad for Blu-ray discs which ask for bus encryption (only in a capable drive),
and ddrescue is not recommended to be used on bad sectors discs (based on a bad sector copy protection)
But the AnyDVD status window in his logfile does show, "bad sector protection not found".
Also hisc Star Wars discs do not ask for bus encryption so it doesn't matter with his discs that his LG BH16NS40 supports it, the mods/dev explained to me.

So ddrescue could be a first option in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddrescue

ddrescue is included in Knoppix Live Linux System (DVD)
In Debian and Ubuntu the package is called "gddrescue", the cosole program name though is called "ddrescue", not to confuse with "dd_rescue" which is another program.

What he could try to do first is:
Booting Knoppix from DVD or USB flash drive. Then mount his NTFS partition. Run ddrescue from his desired location on his NTSC volume.

Open console/bash/shell/terminal -window
1st step with ddrescue: ddrescue will first rescue only the easily recoverable (relatively quickly readable) data:

ddrescue --idirect --sector-size=2048 -n -v -v /dev/srX ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.iso mapfile_ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.log

--idirect: Direct access from the input device (source), not using internal RAM/kernel buffers
but this option can also be left out, not so important, but doesn't harm.
All my drives (LG BH16NS40, Pioneer BDR-205, LiteON iHOS-104) seem to provide raw access.

--sector-size=2048: for the Block size, on DVD and Blu-ray UDF block/sector size is 2048 Bytes
-n: skip the scraping phase: not easily and not quickly reable sectors are "ignored" and jumped across until next readable sectors reached. Avoids spending a lot of time trying to rescue the most difficult parts of the file/(or disc).
-v: verbose: printing more precise info how it's progressing. WHen more specified it's more detailed.
/dev/srX : Blu-ray source drive
ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.iso : image_file_to save rescued data to
mapfile_ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.log : name for map file ,(only) all failed blocks are marked and listed. Needed for proceeding from last point.

So the mapfile name is important, so that ddrescue can resume further, you don't need to restart the process from the beginning, especially useful if it takes several hours
You can "abort" the process with STRG+C (CTRL+C) at any time and procede when the mapping logfile is specified.
You can take any map file name and image file name, but should not rename them for further rescue attempts!!

2nd step, leaving out "-n" option, for trimming and scraping retrying the failed bad blocks.
ddrescue --idirect --sector-size=2048 -v -v --retry-passes=2 /dev/srX ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.iso mapfile_ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.log

The failed blocks are filled with zeros in the ddrescue iso-image file and listed in the log file. If more sectors gets rescued, their entries are deleted within the map logfile, so it does not need to retry those, because already recovered.

The LG BH16NS40 lists the correct sector count on Blu-ray discs, though my LiteON iHOS104 doesn't!
Here the "--complete-only" option is helpful.
If you had such drive, the iso could get corrupt if you left out the option "--complete-only"
I had to rerun ddrescue deleting the old iso because I forgot, that my Liteon iHOS104 reports higher sector count than actaully is. The iso was 2 Gigabytes bigger suddenly when changing the disc into the Liteon to procede further to recover more sectors.
Additionally with --complete-only option the iso with the same size is in my Pioneer
and BH16NS40.
It's always useful to have one or two backups of the different ddrescue steps.

ddrescue --idirect --sector-size=2048 -v -v --complete-only --retry-passes=2 /dev/srX ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.iso mapfile_ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.log

https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html

3rd step rerun the process: with two addional parameters: --retrim --try-again
ddrescue --idirect --sector-size=2048 -v -v --complete-only --retrim --try-again --retry-passes=2 /dev/srX ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.iso mapfile_ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.log

Addiobaly if you have a spare disc, even if dfective, but mayba at other sectors, or the bad sectors are problematic but more easily to recover, you can rerun with:
ddrescue --idirect --sector-size=2048 -v -v --complete-only --retrim --try-again --retry-passes=2 /dev/srX ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.iso mapfile_ddrescue_Star_Wars_Attack_Of_The_Clones.log

in another optical drive, didn't he buy a spare drive? Same model? And maybe he has a friend with snother Blu-ray drive model, he can borrow, where he can resume further the process! :)
And maybe he has spare discs with identical data, it's a further chance to recover rest failing blocks.

After 100 percent is recovered he can mount the ddrescue iso in Virtual Clone Drive and decrypt it normally with AnyDVD.
It's also working with not fully rescued images, but some of the data then is wrong (those filled with zeros from the missing failed blocks)
Handbrake transcoder might make problems perhaps if not fully recovered, (but maybe I'm wrong)

Last edited:
Back