• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Oppo UPD-203

B

Badnews

Anyone have a Oppo UPD-203?. What do you think of it. I had one here for 3 days and it was wonderful. But with the board and chip plugged inside to make it region free. I made it region free myself in all about 2 mins it takes. I removed the region free board and chip because i felt it to be worthless because i remove the region code anyway from the Clone/Copy.

The Oppo UPD-203 is a nice machine with less features then it's older models. I only returned it because i purchased the 205 instead for about double the price. Still waiting on it, The Region Free board is the same but i can't return that.

I don't do the software player thing so it's either BD-R or BD-RE, As far as Cinavia goes CinEx HD takes care of that before i burn it

BTW ppl looking for Oppo Region switching boards will notice the price is near 100.00US or above in a lot of places. You can buy them for 50.00 from Bombay Electronics and they ship worldwide. The dimmer, dimmer, dimmer , mute, 1,2,3 is the PITA

I waited out the Oppo BDP-103 and told myself I'd grab a BDP-203 but I never got around to it. With my lack of desire to transition to UHD I am in no rush to grab the BDP-203. My BDP-83 and BDP-93 are still working beautifully. I wouldn't say no if someone ever offered me onr on the cheap, however. :sneaky:

With respect the the BDP-203 having less features than previous models I actually love the fact that they woke up and realized that they were wasting time and energy on superfluous bells and whistles. People can buy a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, or just use the built-in apps from their HDTV for streaming and what-not. Let other people do the silly work. Let Oppo stick to worrying about local media playback.

I get why you don't need the region-free mod but I don't have a backup of every single disc I own so there are instances where I do need the ability especially if a friend brings over a movie that's the original.

For Oppo region-free mods I, personally, always stick with Bluraychip.dk and JVB Digital. They're established and respected.

I would agree to Bluraychip.dk Oppo region free - mods, It uses the same Dimmer and mute combo to get it done. But Blueraychip is not made in the US which is no problem. However you can be anyone and send electronics to China and they will copy it in quantity on the cheap. You can't tell the difference either. They look the same and do the same thing for 50USD. I can't understand ppl paying 699 - 800+ USD for this player with this mod already in place when you can buy a 203 direct from Oppo or a dealer for 549.00US. If i still had my older Oppo players and didn't sell them a few years ago i might of not of purchased the 203. It was beautiful but a local dealer for 1200US sold me the 205 and i will have that Monday. So the 203 was sent back to the out of state dealer within 3 days. I'll still put the chip/board in the 205 but the only thing i will gain is PAL playback. Which i will never use. JVB digital i think is a external device that gets plugged into the RS232C port in the rear of the player. The chip being a Eprom or a Atmel can be dumped even if locked or a JTAG device. I have a lot of BD-RE, Yes i'm limited to 2x. I found a place selling them for 5.00 so purchased half a dozen. If the movie is a real keeper then it goes to BD-R. I don't stream so don't miss it. UHD i will purchase one just to have it and see. There pretty cheap today. But as far as the mod goes 2 mins and 6 screws and done and ppl paying 100's is insane. And kit can be removed without a trace.

chip.jpg

I almost made the switch to UHD. I bought a 4k TV but ended up returning it within 2 weeks. As it happened the TV was defective and I just wasn't pleased with it anyway. Sure, it was nice but it wasn't top of the line so it was missing some features and it just wasn't worth it. When prices come down I'll revisit the issue. For now I'm fine with 1080p. Would I love to go UHD with a top of the line 4k TV? Sure. But it's not something I can't live without. :)

With respect to people buying the players pre-modded, I absolutely agree. The price increase for a pre-installed mod is vastly higher than it should be. The kits are so easy to install. It's just not worth throwing away money to save oneself less than 5 minutes of work opening the player and installing the mod. Save the money and spend it on movies!

JVB Digital sells two versions of the BDP-203 mod. One external ($129) as you noted and one internal ($99). We've seen this type of thing before with the previous Oppo region-free mods. JVB Digital used to sell mod kits made by Bluraychip.dk. I believe that changed toward the end of the BDP-93 days, however, and given they are selling an external kit that Bluraychip.dk doesn't offer leads me to believe they switched to another supplier.

I had a 1080P LG 60" after 4 years it started to go, To repair these TV's today there more to repair then buy a new one. Around here Samsung they say is king. I had one in my 2nd house and it took a dump under warranty. They replaced the entire insides of the TV...Both were not 4k. So i'm living in my 2nd house which is 3-4 miles from my 1st house as the first house is water front and 2nd house is on acres of land in the woods. So i needed a TV. When i was looking for another TV it had nothing to do with money but i noticed one brand i never heard of before but it had a heck of a picture and cheap. I bought a 65" Hisense TV for under 700. I called around for a TV installer and for 90USD plus the mount he installed it in my wall and hide the wires. I'M on a HTPC now but just don't use the software to play movies anymore. When the installer came he said he had the same brand TV. When i checked online who made it. It was Samsung. Never heard of them ever but when i seen the pic compared to others thats what sold me to buy it. With a 3 yr warranty to boot. The Oppo is almost 2x the price. I never had a 3D TV but i don't think i'm missing anything either.

Do the Oppo(s) allow the user to opt out of Cinavia Detection? Or, are they just like all other players?

Just like all the other new players. There was once Jailbreak firmware but you can forget about that now. There was talk about buying the Chinese version of the player but Cinavia should not bother anyone with software programs today to a point. I don't live in China so if i purchased the Chinese version there goes 2 yr warranty out the window. I think there asking a crazy price to

Just like all the other new players. There was once Jailbreak firmware but you can forget about that now. There was talk about buying the Chinese version of the player but Cinavia should not bother anyone with software programs today to a point. I don't live in China so if i purchased the Chinese version there goes 2 yr warranty out the window. I think there asking a crazy price to
I have seen some news [and sites] about firmware to disable Cinavia detection. However, it was very limited in the sense of brands and models - custom firmware built to specification and cost $$.

Yes i have seen something like this also. But with custom firmware the problem with that is the normal person can't flash back. If something goes wrong your in trouble. But some of us have chip readers and writers. This is how Oppo fixes drives sent in. It can't be done without a chip eraser and writer. I'm into Clone/Full disc into the Oppo. But i sometimes have to settle for movie only because of Cinavia and other protections. Dolby 5.1 is still good enough for me as i'm not a hard core audiophile. The custom firmware i would not do unless your never going to upgrade but sometimes if you don't upgrade you might be losing out. Most or not all Cinavia methods only hide the signal. I'm sure there can be a firmware upgrade to detect that down the line. I use CinEx HD which claims it's removed. I don't know but i never had a problem with it yet. But i know this i tried to clone Patriots Day and removed Cinavia a few times. It didn't work. But when put the BD through AnyDVD and removed the protection then used BD Rebuilder to make a Movie only and then removed the Cinavia it was all good.The problem with CinEx HD is it only supports Patriots Day in DVD so far and BR i must use ST2 or else it can't be played back in a standalone player. So i'll keep a protected ISO until they get to it.

Back