• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Piriform acquired by Avast

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Sources:
  1. Piriform blog: https://www.piriform.com/news/blog/2017/7/19/piriform-is-joining-avast
  2. Avast blog: https://blog.avast.com/welcome-piriform-to-avast
  3. Android Police: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/19/avast-acquired-piriform-company-behind-ccleaner/

Not sure what impact this will have. Hopefully Avast won't do something extremely stupid like rolling CCleaner's functionality into their own software and killing it off.
I'm not happy about this. I like CCleaner by itself, but as long as I can download and use it--CCleaner--for my PC and laptops, especially for free, then I'm cool on that.

We'll see how this purchase from Avast goes.

I haven't updated CCleaner since they removed the ability to not load google toolbar.

I'm not happy about this. I like CCleaner by itself, but as long as I can download and use it--CCleaner--for my PC and laptops, especially for free, then I'm cool on that.

We'll see how this purchase from Avast goes.
There are competitive free products to CCleaner: Wise Disk Cleaner & Wise Registry Cleaner

I use both, and Wise seems to find things CCleaner overlooks.

I haven't updated CCleaner since they removed the ability to not load google toolbar.
The Google Toolbar has not been a part of the installation of CCleaner for quite some time.

Even when it was, I just chose "advanced options" and unclicked it being installed.

More and more with Windows 10 I am finding I use 3rd party apps like CCleaner or Wise [less and less], Win 10 has its built-in tools that may not be "the best" but have been improved over previous Windows versions to keep my multiple PCs running well.

Last edited:
There are competitive free products to CCleaner: Wise Disk Cleaner & Wise Registry Cleaner

I use both, and Wise seems to find things CCleaner overlooks.

The Google Toolbar has not been a part of the installation of CCleaner for quite some time.

Even when it was, I just chose "advanced options" and unclicked it being installed.

More and more with Windows 10 I am finding I use 3rd party apps like CCleaner or Wise, Win 10 has its built-in tools that may not be "the best" but have been improved over previous Windows versions to keep my multiple PCs running well.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try them out.

:)

Taken from here:
Code:
https://www.piriform.com/news/blog/2017/7/19/piriform-is-joining-avast

Avast will maintain and support CCleaner separately from its current Avast optimization portfolio and will continue to give our customers the attention and service they are accustomed to.

So far, it appears that things will remain the same. Time will tell to see how much bastardization Avast does to CCleaner.

In the past, companies that take over other companies or merge, have never kept original functionality over time.
Prime example of this was when Symantec bought out PQMAGIC (disk utility also called Partition Magic).
PQMAGIC was the best HDD utility on the planet at the time. Once Symantec got it's hooks into it they bastardized it into submission.
Symantec is a junk company and it's products are all garbage.

My company that I own and run do outsourced backups for many companies world-wide.
We have Federal and International guidelines of which AV software/companies we are permitted to use.
Symantec, Avast, McAfee and several others junk products are on the blacklist that we are not permitted to use else we lose all clients.
We can only use mission critical certified programs and utilize companies that have NEVER had any instances of deliberately injecting malicious code (virus, malware, etc) into their updates. Symantec is famous for having done this on numerous occasions and cannot be trusted.

So far, it appears that things will remain the same. Time will tell to see how much bastardization Avast does to CCleaner.

I did see that statement but I am wary of anything like that. As an end-user I've been burned enough times to be jaded whenever I see words along those lines.

IOW, I read it as, "We are devoted to maintaining and improving the software we have acquired. Things will remain as they were for now but within the next 12 months your much-loved software will be abandoned and we will force you to buy our crappy software in its place."

Back