• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

I burn bluray movies at 16x write speed with CloneBD just fine

gameowl

Hello, everybody, just a friendly update. Last year I updated my Pionners BD-R 2209 bluray burners firmware flashed to the newest version. It supports 16x bluray write speed burning. And I use Verbatim 25GB BD-R 6x write speed blurays. Even though the discs say they burn up to 6x. They actually go as high as 16x write speed, with CloneBD software and Nero Burning ROM 2016 burning software. With not one problem in the process of burning to bluray disc, and not one problem with bluray backed up movie playback on a set top bluray player and my PC's bluray drives playing it with PowerDVD 14 Ultra. Burning a fully transcoded bluray with CloneBD at 16x takes about thirty minutes to successfully burn. Just wanted to let everybody know this all.

They're rated for 6x, but have write speed descriptors for higher speeds that's all. That's the reason you can burn them faster. The drive sees the higher descriptors, and if you tell it to, it will burn at those speeds. My fastest drive burns them at 12x near the end. A full bd25 takes about 15 min to burn (excluding the encoding phase).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I´m suprised ...

I have some 16x-drives, some different BD-R-media and could never choose 16x-speed.

Verbatim BD-R 25GB 6x VERBAT-IMe-000
Sony BD-R 25GB 6x SONY-NN3-002
Panasonic BD-R 25GB 6x MEI-RA1-001

These media I can bun with some drives at 12x, but not faster

That's because of 1 or both of the following

1. The firmware of your drive doesn't allow burning those faster
2. The discs lack a faster write speed descriptor

The verbatim I can never go beyond X12 either. Not because it's not supported but because by that time I'm reaching the full disc capacity and the buffers start to empty.

Nothing surprising about any of that to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

All drives have the newest FW

Maybe there are newer revisions of the media, bought my media 2013 or 2014

My source of data delivered by SSD, so I don´t have speed-problems :)

Your SSD has nothing to do with any of it. You can have a dozen enterprise level SSD's in raid, if the drive firmware doesn't support burning discs faster, it ain't gonna mean anything.

I know that :)

But you talked about "buffer empty" and I mean this prob won´t happen with SSDs

Yes the optical drive buffers, optical drives have a hardware buffer. And the end of the burning those will empty just the same. With or without ssd

If there is no more data to write the buffer will be empty or what do you mean? That´s clear, but I dunno what this have to do with the choice of the drive speed.

The hardware-buffer of the drive is actual very small and nearly meaningless since Sanyo invent Burn Proof Technology in year 2000.

Then you need to reread my post in post 4. I don't reach higher speeds than 12x because by the time I could go higher, there's no more data to burn.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

So you meant you don´t write the full capacity of 23,3GB with Single Layer?

Never, the closer you get to edges the higher the risk of burn errors. Filling every last byte is a bad idea in general. Besides with the output quality of CloneBD and my other tool there's no need. 21-22gb gives me perfect visuals.

Yep, thats true, I know it, I´m Burn-Pro since 2000 and even knew CCD 1.0 ;)

But it also depends on the media, I have good media which I can burn over 23GB without probs, and cheaper media which gets awful over 21GB, no matter which speed I choose.

I mostly burn DVB-S/S2 recorded movies and so the filesizes are not choosable like if you backup a BD with tools like CloneBD.

BTW, BD-media is the worst optical media for longevity.

Worst? Only if u use crappy blanks. I've got discs burned 7+ years ago that still play perfectly.

Like with every other media there are big quality differences, but overall BD seems to be designed to lost data ;) .

https://www.test.de/filestore/41190...&key=6947F342C1E58781DACD4B230D09E06959D15E13

I have 13 year old DVDs, even cheap ones, all of them still readable. My old Verbatim CD-Rs from 2000 also in very good shape.

My oldest BD-R burns are from 2013 and some of them are unreadable. Worst BD-media you can get IMHO RITEKBR2 and RITEKBR3. These media is widely available under many brands like Platinum, Maxell, Traxdata, Ridata, Philips and even Sony. Yeah, also Sony, which sold some years ago one of the best BD-media now sell this crap. The big joke: The older, good Sony 6x with code SONYNN3 were also made by Ritek, but with Sony-standards.

With CMC and TDK-codes I have single failures, high error rates but still readable.

PHILIPR04 is a code used by some smaller manufacturers, quality varies a lot.

Verbatim HTL, original Panasonic, SONYNN3 and MBI-made media seems to be more stable, but the error-rates also increased.

I have many SL BD-R's from 10 years ago and all are still going strong. Only ones I've had fail from back then are Verbatim and Traxdata. All my SL PiiData discs from back then are still going strong as are my Sony and TDK DL BD-R's

BD-R-media is getting more cheap, in price and quality. I start in 2013 with BD-R, the oldest media I have is Panasonic 2x, which is not bad but also getting more worse.

I only use HTL-media,not LTH.

I test the burn-quality with the LiteOn iHBS 112 and Opti Drive Control, so I see if the error rate is getting higher.

Here you see the error-rates in 2013 and 2017 with RITEKBR3

Attachments

• 8 Platinum BD-R 25GB 6x (RITEKBR3) Quality 2013.png
    8 Platinum BD-R 25GB 6x (RITEKBR3) Quality 2013.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 8 Platinum BD-R 25GB 6x (RITEKBR3) Quality 2017.PNG
    8 Platinum BD-R 25GB 6x (RITEKBR3) Quality 2017.PNG
    70 KB · Views: 7
They're rated for 6x, but have write speed descriptors for higher speeds that's all. That's the reason you can burn them faster. The drive sees the higher descriptors, and if you tell it to, it will burn at those speeds. My fastest drive burns them at 12x near the end. A full bd25 takes about 15 min to burn (excluding the encoding phase).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
This is fascinating. I always assumed that the "rating" - 6X - or whatever, determined the MAX speed.

Nope, that's what they are rated at pretty much guaranteeing a good burn. Higher speeds are 'at own risk'

Yep, so in theory ;)

It depends on the drive-Firmware-programmers which speeds are allowed. Some manufacturers are a bit more conservative, others are a bit more adventurous. With BD-R the most driver-manufacturers are adventurous, burn a BD-R 4x and 6x at 10x or 12x is mostly possible. With 2x it´s more conservative, my 2x Panasonic and Verbatim will only be overspeeded by my LG-drives; Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung and Liteon only allows 2x.

My BD-RE-media will not be overspeeded, max. certified speed = max speed

Back