• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Regarding Ability to Process Many Blu-Rays Without Internet Connection

VideoCollector

I've ripped every Blu-Ray disc that I own to ISO images and stored them on hard disks just to make sure that I had unprotected copies of my own discs. I did this mainly out of a worry that someday something might happen to RedFox just as it did to SlySoft and I would then no longer be able to rip my Blu-Ray discs.

So now that Any DVD HD can process "many" discs without Internet access it would be great if I could delete the ISO images for all the discs that can be ripped without Internet access to free up all that disc space.

So the question is this: What's the easiest way to determine what discs can be processed by Any DVD HD without an Internet connection? Is there any master list or is there a simple way to see in Any DVD HD if it needs to access the Internet to get info on any particular disc that I insert into a drive?

Simple, temp disable your internet connection and mount the images in a virtual drive tool like "Virtual Clone Drive". All done :)

Simple, temp disable your internet connection and mount the images in a virtual drive tool like "Virtual Clone Drive". All done :)

I think his iso images are already decrypted.

@VideoCollector

An option to save space is to compress the movies with CloneBD or something else.

Is there any master list or is there a simple way to see in Any DVD HD if it needs to access the Internet to get info on any particular disc that I insert into a drive?
Simple, temp disable your internet connection

As Ch3vr0n said, simply disabling your internet will work to test most discs.
Make sure you backup and then clear your AnyDVD cache before testing offline - some newer BD+ discs may seem to work offline, but are really using the local cached file and wouldn't work if you wiped your PC (without copying the cache files back)

I'm not sure of the current situation with Screen Pass discs - I don't know if some still need the OPD or if they are all can be handled offline now (with each AnyDVD release) or just older ones.
If some aren't, then you won't be able to tell offline as the disc might look like it decrypted fine and won't show any errors, but potentially Screen Pass wasn't fixed.
If that was the case, the only way you would be able to tell for sure is to run AnyDVD without internet then run again with internet and compare the status window.

It's not really worth messing/worrying about IMO - AnyDVD will handle most (95%?) known discs offline and if AnyDVD development was to completely die I'm sure something would be released to bring it to 100% or at least the OPD left long enough for you to check each disc at that time, if needed.
Plus with the price of storage now, you could just keep your backups or shrink them down as @blank suggested.

Since you have ripped all of them, you should be able to delete your rips and re-rip them whenever you want without needing to worry about internet access, as AnyDVD caches the OPD information that is relevant to your disks whenever AnyDVD is given access to them for the first time. Am I not understanding your question properly?

Since you have ripped all of them, you should be able to delete your rips and re-rip them whenever you want without needing to worry about internet access, as AnyDVD caches the OPD information that is relevant to your disks whenever AnyDVD is given access to them for the first time. Am I not understanding your question properly?

Yes - unless PC has changed or being formatted and cache not backed up.
The only potential exception are recent Screen Pass discs - I don't have any 2017 Screen Pass discs to test to see if they work offline or are cached (IIRC at one point they weren't being cached)
I do know AnyDVD now handles all my Screen Pass discs offline (2016 and older).

Yes - unless PC has changed or being formatted and cache not backed up.
The only potential exception are recent Screen Pass discs - I don't have any 2017 Screen Pass discs to test to see if they work offline or are cached (IIRC at one point they weren't being cached)
I do know AnyDVD now handles all my Screen Pass discs offline (2016 and older).
Well then make sure to back up the cache. You should never trust one hard drive with something important.

Well then make sure to back up the cache. You should never trust one hard drive with something important.

Yes of course, but the cache is not really common knowledge among every average AnyDVD user (especially before Slysoft demise) so it's likely possible that with years of ripping the PC or PC's would have been changed/formatted without the user even knowing that AnyDVD cache stored anything.
Also if some new Screen Pass discs are still not being cached then those wouldn't work either way (they may all be cached now, I don't know)

Thanks for all the responses. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. BTW, my collection spans about 10 HDs at the moment, not just one or two drives, that's why I'm so interested in this. I have a pretty big investment in Blue-Ray discs but it really bothers me that discs that I legitimately own can't be archived normally because of protection :)

I should have noted that I am aware that I could simply disable my Internet connection, but I wasn't sure how far I would get if Any DVD HD could not decrypt a disc offline. For example, if it cannot decrypt a disc, can I still mount it or do I have to go as far as trying to play it to tell if Any DVD was able to decrypt it or does Any DVD HD give some indication right away that it could not decrypt the disc?

The whole point about the cache is really excellent - that was something I had not thought of. I'll have to search the forum - I'm sure there must be info on how I can back that up. Maybe that's all I need to ensure the ability to read all my discs in the future even without online access to the database.

Thanks again for all the responses.

For example, if it cannot decrypt a disc, can I still mount it or do I have to go as far as trying to play it to tell if Any DVD was able to decrypt it or does Any DVD HD give some indication right away that it could not decrypt the disc?

Yes, AnyDVD will tell you straight away that there was an error and it needs online access, before you rip or play.

The only exception is maybe new Screen Pass protected discs, these are only a small percentage of discs (in USA it's usually from Lionsgate/Summit) - AnyDVD could potentiallly seem to have worked but when you come to playback you get a "copy detected" message or the movie may play out of order.
AnyDVD recently now fixes many of these known discs without an internet connection, however I'm not sure if this is true for all of the known ones.

The whole point about the cache is really excellent - that was something I had not thought of. I'll have to search the forum - I'm sure there must be info on how I can back that up. Maybe that's all I need to ensure the ability to read all my discs in the future even without online access to the database.

On Windows 7 and newer the location is "C:\ProgramData\RedFox\AnyDVD\Cache\" - it's hidden so you will need to show hidden folders in Windows.
RedFox folder may be Slysoft instead on some installs.

Last edited:
but I wasn't sure how do I tell if Any DVD was able to decrypt it or does Any DVD HD give some indication right away that it could not decrypt the disc?
Just select the tickbox for:
Show information window for new media.
Located in the "Program Settings" portion of the tree.
anydvd-12-programsettings.png
And it will give you the status screen everytime you insert a disc for AnyDvDHD to decrypt.
With a description of what it did or didn't do or remove. And will be shown on this screen.
anydvd-01-status.png
Is one of the best things about AnyDvDHD to me.

This only works as long as you have that computer still. If your drive fails, or you get a new computer, that's gone. When Slyfox went Tango Ultra last time, we all asked for a stand alone version with an embedded OPD. Hopefully that's still coming.

This only works as long as you have that computer still. If your drive fails, or you get a new computer, that's gone. When Slyfox went Tango Ultra last time, we all asked for a stand alone version with an embedded OPD. Hopefully that's still coming.
You don't have to store it locally. You can back it up using a cloud storage service like Google Drive or Dropbox. If you need to restore it on a new computer, just download it and drop it in the right folder on your new hard drive. As for the embedded OPD, I doubt that's going to happen. It would be too large to make it practical, and since it gets updated constantly, the local copy would become outdated almost immediately.

A way that they could do the update is with something like slysoft implemented back when development started on CloneBD. It was called bumblebee. That the users that wanted to store the OPD locally could use to check their version. And it could DL in the background. I think something like that would be good for sending logs too.

You don't have to store it locally. You can back it up using a cloud storage service like Google Drive or Dropbox. If you need to restore it on a new computer, just download it and drop it in the right folder on your new hard drive. As for the embedded OPD, I doubt that's going to happen. It would be too large to make it practical, and since it gets updated constantly, the local copy would become outdated almost immediately.

I don't want to have to manually back things up. I like to keep my PCs pretty stripped down so that when I have to restore them, I don't have much to restore, and all my data is on network drives which already get off site backups.

If I remember correctly, the OPD was only a few hundred megabytes. That's pretty trivial. Of course it gets updated constantly, so does AnyDVD. A new version, which is released every few weeks, could supply a new OPD. I'm not asking for real time updates, but certainly something better than what we have now.

Back