• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CPU load 100% when watching 4k

JT!

i5-4670K
GTX 770
Millions of ram

Youtube 4k @ 30fps is generally fine, 60 fps however puts cpu up to 100% and the footage is jumpy.

If I download that footage and play on a media player I have the same issue.

High bitrate 4k @ 30fps is also problematic.

GPU load sits at around 15%

All temps are good.

People with the same CPU as me don't have this problem.

Hardware acceleration appears to be enabled.

Please help! :)

Which browser are you using ?
Which media player ?
GPU driver version ?

If you haven't done yet, please try MPC-HC or any other player using LAV decoder.

Last edited:
Chrome, IE and edge don't allow 4k on YT it would seem.

WMP, MPC, VLC

Most up to date drivers and I just upgraded GPU had this same issue on both.

Will look into whatever LAV decoder is and report findings.

Not exactly sure what LAV decoder is, but it seems MPC has it so yeah, tried that.

To check the default MPC-HC video decoder, go to the Options menu, then click on Internal Filters on the left hand side, then click on Video Decoder. Once you have reached the video decoder options page click on the dropdown box under Hardware Acceleration and select CUVID.

And i've found several threads where people reported that a clean GPU driver installation fixed their issues - maybe worth a try if nothing else helps. One of them: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/youtube/L7OwIT3KUaI/q4ECLKanCAAJ

Last edited:
I've played smooth 4k on madvr lav filters in mpc. Made a video in hometheater 101 post third party forums. I zipped up those files I use and are available if you cannot find them on the net. This is my current setup and I do 4k editing so I know 4 k works great. Funny is 4k in powerdvd 16 lags to shit for me.

@JT!
Though LAV filters are included in MPC-HC for a while now, i'm not sure if you still have to add the external filters manually.
So please go to the Options menu, then click on External Filters on the left hand side, and check whether LAV Audio Decoder, LAV Splitter and LAV Video Decoder are present and set to 'Prefer'.
If not, add them.

I use newest lav filters to add dtshd ma and truhd 8 channel lpcm. Will not work with internally used lav filters. I need lpcm 24bit 8 channel analog to my 8 channel in on my amp. If you use HDMI bit thru then you do not need external lav filters. Dtshd ma 7.1 amps are expensive!

@JT!
One last addendum: i've used MPC-HC 1.7.10 stable (incl. LAV 0.66) and had to add the external filter LAV Video decoder to get no lags with my AMD FX 6300 & nVidia GTX660.
I've now installed MPC-HC 1.7.10.276 nightly build (incl. LAV 0.69) and now everything runs fine with default settings (VP9 DXVA2 Hardware Acceleration since LAV 0.68).
I hope i don't create more confusion than i (hopefully) help :rolleyes:

Last edited:
But we're talking now about MPC. It seems that any 4k footage on any media player or website is maxing out my cpu? So surely messing with options is MPC isn't going to do anything?

I use newest lav filters to add dtshd ma and truhd 8 channel lpcm. Will not work with internally used lav filters. I need lpcm 24bit 8 channel analog to my 8 channel in on my amp. If you use HDMI bit thru then you do not need external lav filters. Dtshd ma 7.1 amps are expensive!
Depends on what you consider 'expensive'. I can buy an Onkyo Amp that supports 7.1 Atmos with HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 support for £270

Yeah but what I'm getting at is if I play about with options in MPC, it's not going to effect youtube videos.

But we're talking now about MPC. It seems that any 4k footage on any media player or website is maxing out my cpu? So surely messing with options is MPC isn't going to do anything?
When I get home from USA to Canada today I will monitor my CPU usage and get back to you on how much percent of cpu it uses. If it's better I'll help you with your settings. I run an AMD 2+ 4 core black edition processor. It's 8 years old and everything fly's on my PC. I can't play full 4k on YouTube or powerdvd 16 but if I download it and port it thru mpc it's perfect. I can set 1440p and it's smooth on 4k boobtube..... And it works. Run older graphics card AMD. Have to go home and look at specs. Getting older....birthday just past and forgetting things. Joking.....:)

I usually reserve 4k Netflix and YouTube to play on my x1 processor in my Sony xbr850c 65 inch TV.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly I'm reading.
The user in my link says:
"Both Edge and Chrome nowadays support hardware acceleration for VP9, it already works without issues on modern Nvidia GPUs (GTX 960, 950, 1080, 1070, 1060, Titan X Pascal)."

So my question is: have you tried Edge (if you're on Win 10) and Chrome ?

Last edited:
I tried Edge but it didn't allow me to play 4k on YT. Chrome is my default browser and is where I'm having the issue.

I'm at my girlfriends' house, so I can't check my CPU load atm. and whether it's real 60fps and VP9 GPU acceleration.
All I can say is i'm using Firefox and 4k 60fps(?) is running smooth.

Last edited:
Update:
No VP9 GPU accerleration in Firefox (stable or nightly).
I won't undertake further investigation, cause i have a 1680x1050 display ;)
Maybe you have better chances with Chrome Canary.
Canary and Stable can run side-by-side.

Back