• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD 4K discs

funreviews

So, I'm just getting into the Utra 4K Disc stuff and I know the PC version of the 5.25 drives, let alone burners and blank media, are still in the future- but is there any plans for RedFox to have an ANYDVD for this format?

There are some drives that can read the "contents" of a UHD disc right now. But no player software is available yet. So until then there's really no need for it right now anyway.

There are no drives whatsoever at the moment that can read uhd disc. At best they can 'see' the contents, but that's where it ends. They lack the certification to actually read the contents, which is required for playback before the actual software player even comes into play. James has stated he might eventually add support, but that is on the back burner. Uhd discs are even less common than cinavia is on dvd's.

I'd have to disagree. My LG drive can 'read' the contents of the discs just fine, there's just no way to decrypt the video files on those discs, but the discs can still be read and I can copy those files off the disc onto my hard-drive and access information from files other than the video files. It works the same as a standard commercial Blu-ray.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree. My LG drive can 'read' the contents of the discs just fine, there's just no way to decrypt the video files on those discs, but the discs can still be read and I can copy those files off the disc onto my hard-drive and access information from files other than the video files. It works the same as a standard commercial Blu-ray.

I agree. To AnyDVD HD, these look just like normal blu-ray discs. There is different encryption, though:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.0.7.0, BDPHash.bin 16-10-28)
HL-DT-ST BD-REBE16NU50 1.00 N000800SIK96G4F9083
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Drive supports AACS version: 1

Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 26728672 sectors (52204 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: Salt
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
AACS MKB version 57
MKB type 48141003 is not supported!
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

I get exactly the same diagnostic for each of my 14 UHD discs (5 more coming in the next few days).

Please consider upgrading the priority of addressing this issue.

It's not a priority until

- UHD is more widely adopted
- there are a LOT more UHD titles
- there is official AACS 2.0 documentation available

AACS 2.0 is a lot more complicated, and due to the lack of documentation the entire thing needs to be reverse engineerd. This can take weeks, months if ever at all.

- there is official AACS 2.0 documentation available

AACS 2.0 is a lot more complicated, and due to the lack of documentation the entire thing needs to be reverse engineerd. This can take weeks, months if ever at all.

Good to know. Nonetheless, I still look forward to the day when it's supported.

Thanks for the info!

Marty

I have been using Vegas to create, render & burn DVDs and Blu-ray discs for quite some time. The software was formerly owned and supported by Sony in the USA and was recently sold to Magix located in Germany. The latest version is Vegas 14 Pro. This latest version as well as Versions 11, 12 and 13 all will let you create and render to a wide variety of formats including 4K. Unfortunately, I have done fairly extensive search on line and by phone of disc burner manufacturers including Sony, LG, Pioneer and I have not been able to find any who currently have available 4K burners for sale nor can they tell me if one will ever be available. Very frustrating since 4K disc media (100 GB & higher size) is also available. This is a sorry state for me since my extensive personal library of 4K suitable travel videos (i.e. Antarctica, India, Myanmar etc.) are suitable for 4k videos and would benefit greatly from this new format. I regularly play commercial 4k Blu-ray discs on my Samsung 4K TV with a 4K player and many of them are awesome. Does anybody have any info on burning 4K videos?

Thanks,
AlanJS

4k burners isn't the issue as all it is is just burning data, so any burner that supports the BDXL discs should be able to burn a 4K disc. The problem is authoring the discs in the first place, as at the moment I'm not aware of any cheap low end 4K authoring program

4k burners are as much a myth as "3D burner" is. Something LG likes to advertise. There's no such thing as a 4K or 3D burner. Even an 5 year old drive could burn 4k discs if it could identify triple layer discs. To a drive it's all just 1's and 0's of data. IT just burns to blank what you tell it to burn, it doesn't give a rats ass what it actually is your burning.

Thanks for your helpful comments. Both Adobe Premier and Magix Vegas 14 Pro are video authoring software I use. Specifically the versions of Vegas 11,12,13 and the current 14 Pro have 4K authoring and rendering. My problem is what 4K settings need to be made in the video render to allow it to burn a 4K disc which is playable in a 4K Blu-ray player. If no one currently has done this I'll talk with the commercial 4K producers. They may be able to offer assistance especially since mine are not made for for commercial use or release.

I think you are confusing editing with authoring. Editing is when you assemble the footage on a timeline. Authoring is where you take that edited footage and assemble it for a disc structure usually using something like Adobe Encore or DVD Architect.

At the moment UHD authoring is only available in high end software such as Scenarist and KITe UHD authoring suite

Last edited:
Thanks Adbear,
You're absolutely correct. I think of DVD Architect as a menu creator but it is much more. I have not gotten thru the render stage and now realize I all but forgot the next step. Can you input a rendered file from Vegas into one of the software programs you mentioned?

Possibly, but I haven't used Scenarist in years as we no longer use it due to the licensing fee, and the other one I've never tried. Both programs cost a lot as they are designed for professional authoring houses not for general consumers

I feel like it's getting there. I'm going to be buying Rouge One on 4k bluray when it comes out.... however I have nothing to play it on. Would love it if ANYDVDUHD showed up soon.

4k TV's are super cheap now and soon the players will quickly follow.

Back