• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dyn DDOS - Starting to get annoying

digitalone

I'm seeing websites and services that depend on those websites or servers become less accessible as the day goes on. Heard of the earlier DDOS and now the 2nd wave is here. Stuff like Twitter, ps vue stand out to me but there are others I am sure of it. Posting this in general chat but if this is anyway possible a way for this to affect anydvd communications that is something that might concern me as well. So far all seems good on that front. Just letting everyone know what is happening right now.

I'm seeing websites and services that depend on those websites or servers become less accessible as the day goes on. Heard of the earlier DDOS and now the 2nd wave is here. Stuff like Twitter, ps vue stand out to me but there are others I am sure of it. Posting this in general chat but if this is anyway possible a way for this to affect anydvd communications that is something that might concern me as well. So far all seems good on that front. Just letting everyone know what is happening right now.
I think most already knows this the savvy users and could care less and don't use those sites. That is how it is another will come to replace it. And what exactly do you mean "anydvd communications"?

It is times like this, DDOS attacks, that I question the intelligence of IT people who insist the cloud is safe and always available.

Welcome to the new battlefront of war, cyberspace.

It's because of all the cheap, insecure internet-connected toys and devices companies are selling now (IoT). They are easily turned into an army of DDOS bots.

The fact that their cheap has nothing to do with it. Even the cheap ones can be secured with a password. The problem is that most of the owners don't read the manual and set a password to prevent becoming part of a botnet. THAT is the problem. Not the cheapness

The problem is that most of the owners don't read the manual and set a password to prevent becoming part of a botnet. THAT is the problem. Not the cheapness
Cheap has nothing to do with what happened as this last statement has proven true time to time on every DOS or DDOS attacks.

Ok maybe not cheap but anything wifi can be hacked if you don't protect it or change the password. That in this day and age should be common sense and there is no excuse for not doing so.

Last edited:
Isn't that exactly what i said, cheap has nothing to do with it.

The fact that their cheap has nothing to do with it. Even the cheap ones can be secured with a password. The problem is that most of the owners don't read the manual and set a password to prevent becoming part of a botnet. THAT is the problem. Not the cheapness
Set a password to what.

To those internet-of-things devices, like ip webcams etc... Most users leave it at default or set none at all, making them easy targets for botnet partnership.

By cheap, I wasn't referring to the quality. I meant because the devices have become inexpensive, they are quite ubiquitous. And passwords don't work when the device is riddled with security holes, which most of these IoTs are.

More info has been coming out on the attack. Most of the devices involved have hardcoded paaswords and open ports for both telnet and SSH. Sigh, it's only gonna get worse.

if you enter the ip of a website instead the name, you shouldnt be affected? or are the dns servers the sams as the payload servers are?

of course you'll be affected. Every website runs on a server which has an IP, all a domain name does is point the domain entered to the matched IP. Dos attackes basically overload servers with useless data or page requests to a point where the servers can't handle the load anymore and go down.

okay, i thought the dns servers are different servers (different to the content servers) and do only translate names to ips.

yeah, but if you bring the DNS servers down, the computer that requests for example twitter won't know where to look, because the one that tells it to which ip it needs to go for twitter is down. That's the reason why numerous other websites twitter, reddit, github,... all where inaccessible. The sites themselves werent down, the service that pointed computers to them was.

Every site is on one or more servers with an IP. Which site uses which IP's is "stored" on those DNS servers, and if you bring those down, well... do the math ;). That's why 1 "simple" attack had global consequences. It started being limited to north america, and eventually even reached europe.

Yup, Ch3vr0n is correct. The shear amount of traffic is going to affect everyone, not just the DNS servers, and not just the target of the attack.

Back