• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD for Linux ?

Pegasus

I hate Windows 10 and successfully defeated the M$ Malware upgrade tactics earlier this year.
M$ unfortunately tries to force the dreaded patch practice from 10 to us 7 users soon. One of the few programs keeping me from jumping ship to Linux on my main PC is AnyDVD.
I know this was discussed before, but are there any plans of doing a native Linux port of AnyDVD ?

Long answer: no, there are (still) no plans
Short answer: No

I hate Windows 10 and successfully defeated the M$ Malware upgrade tactics earlier this year.
M$ unfortunately tries to force the dreaded patch practice from 10 to us 7 users soon. One of the few programs keeping me from jumping ship to Linux on my main PC is AnyDVD.
I know this was discussed before, but are there any plans of doing a native Linux port of AnyDVD ?

I have always had a dedicate PC for running DVD ripping functions which I only connect to the internet when I need it. I never did windows updates on that computer. Not sure if a dedicated windows machine for AnyDVD and second computer with Linux for everything else is an option for you, but that is what I would do. I even have one machine on old Windows XP Pro SP3 which I never updated windows on and AnyDVD, Clone DVD 2, and Clone BD run fine on it as well.

You know there are sites that give the disableGWX and Windows10update disable regedit to kill those annoying nags. You have to go to MyCE and you will find it there.There is a post that gives you those two regedits to kills Windows 10 Nags. Linux is far to scattered to be of real competition to Windows O/S. Love or hate it Windows O/S is here to stay and is the standard. I use those edits and regedit on family computers and they can now use and enjoy their Windows 7 again.

There's no reason for any of that anymore. They should have pushed or will push an update that removes the gwx control panel and nag for ever.

Last edited:
There's no reason for any of that anymore. They should have pushed out will push an update that removes the gwx control panel and nag for ever.

I believe that the nag screen for upgrade to windows 10 will be patched this week in the next windows update. I use noten from grc.com which works fine.

Anyway, the windowss 10 nag screen is not relevant to the actual question. The answer remains the same.

No plans for a linux version (or mac for that matter)

Thanks for the replies - Yes, I was (am) using GWX, however soon (I think next patch day ?) M$ will change the upgrade practice for Win 7 to the same they are using in 10. You will only get cumulative upgrades and can't de-select/de-install single patches any longer. This unfortunately means M$ has full control over the PC and we can't de-install spyware upgrades (aka telemetry) any longer. I haven't tried AnyDVD in a VM yet (doubt it will work though...maybe with pass through of the BD rom?) - Well, I guess I just keep my HTPC on Win 7 and just don't upgrade it any longer.

I hope this doesn't mean those of us who stuck with Windows 7 will have to put up with the same multi 100s of MB updates each month that take over an hour to install on PCs that doesn't have SSDs which the Windows 10 users now have to endure. I've heard that in one office nearly two hours were sometimes wasted in the morning after switching on the PC waiting for updates to finish installing that had been set in motion the night before with "Update and shutdown".

I hope this doesn't mean those of us who stuck with Windows 7 will have to put up with the same multi 100s of MB updates each month that take over an hour to install on PCs that doesn't have SSDs which the Windows 10 users now have to endure. I've heard that in one office nearly two hours were sometimes wasted in the morning after switching on the PC waiting for updates to finish installing that had been set in motion the night before with "Update and shutdown".
I'm a system builder and don't get that each month. At the moment the Anniversary update is still rolling out to people so it may be that different machines are updating on different days, but I don't get hundreds of MBs of updates each month on the same machines.
It's pretty much the same as any previous version of Windows where you get small security updates every so often, but nothing as major as hundreds of MB per month

I feel your pain.

Not really. But at least I am "learning" Linux at the moment. Some things bother me. First, there is no Blu-ray player software for Linux. I thought there was a PowerDVD version for Linux, but I can't find it anywhere. Second, Linux is quite fragmented. AnyDVD is an OS extension, so it needs to be well integrated into the OS. Unless you just want some simple "ripper" tool, this won't be easy.
But on Linux, a "ripper tool" is probably enough - unless there is some playback software available, I don't know.

I feel your pain.
I think that is feel the burn from MS but most will just take their Windows 7 offline and that will work just fine that is what happened to XP machines and I hear they are still running. So where there is a will there is a way. As to Windows 10 being the only O/S in town I think there is a Windows 16 or the likes already in the works and that will replace Windows 10 debacle. So most will not worry including me Windows will always have a second to the current which will hopefully learn like Vista got debunked because it was so bad most went to Windows 7 faster then going to Windows 10 when it launched and still holds commanding lead in all Windows O/S long after the 2009 release.

Not really. But at least I am "learning" Linux at the moment. Some things bother me. First, there is no Blu-ray player software for Linux. I thought there was a PowerDVD version for Linux, but I can't find it anywhere. Second, Linux is quite fragmented. AnyDVD is an OS extension, so it needs to be well integrated into the OS. Unless you just want some simple "ripper" tool, this won't be easy.
But on Linux, a "ripper tool" is probably enough - unless there is some playback software available, I don't know.
Unix was the fore father of Linux I learned that in college and it was great but requires alot of commands and knowledge what those command can do themselves and when used together from CLI. But now it the GUI Linux is makes it easier but the commands are still the same they aren't transferable to Windows command or clicks. Also there is no single Linux GUI there so fragmented that no one talks to each other and claims mine is better doesn't go to help Linux become more accepted. Like I mentioned before until Linux Distro becomes "ONE" Linux it will always be a niche product for Servers and self individual projects. Off the thread but that is how I see Linux right now. Too many Distro and you will never knock off Microsoft or make them scared.

I see some light at the end of the tunnel for the Linux users out there. The AnyDVDHD mastermind is on the case. So just keep your fingers crossed and don't BUG HIM!!!! If it's possible to do we will ALL be informed when it's TIME .

Hello together,

I'm new here and just registered just to give James a hint:

But at least I am "learning" Linux at the moment.

If you are really new to Linux give Gentoo Linux a try as it helped myself a lot to get into all the stuff. You learn a lot about the system even as you install it.

Also there is no single Linux GUI there so fragmented that no one talks to each other and claims mine is better doesn't go to help Linux become more accepted. Like I mentioned before until Linux Distro becomes "ONE" Linux it will always be a niche product for Servers and self individual projects. Off the thread but that is how I see Linux right now. Too many Distro and you will never knock off Microsoft or make them scared.

I don't think so - you simply forget the fact that lots of hardware today with networking abilities is based on a kind of Linux or BSD. Most people don't even know how many stuff they own themself which is running on a system based on either one of these :)

So to speak of a niche product is simply not true :) This is only still the case for desktop computers...

I did some research on that too earlier this weekend and it seems that for blu-ray support on linux you need to mess around with installing libs (which also installs VLC). Not everyone may want to do that. (Though i guess if you use linux, it isn't that hard to do that kind of thing) Which may make a linux AnyDVD version hard to do.

Hello together,
I'm new here and just registered just to give James a hint:
If you are really new to Linux give Gentoo Linux a try as it helped myself a lot to get into all the stuff. You learn a lot about the system even as you install it.
Not sure but if you take a look around Unix is for Server based system as seen with "Apache" error that you sometimes get. But in standalone everyday usage Windows is the UI that is software supported. "Software Support" that is the hint that is missed here-until major Software players support Linux the "hint" is a mute point.

I don't think so - you simply forget the fact that lots of hardware today with networking abilities is based on a kind of Linux or BSD. Most people don't even know how many stuff they own themself which is running on a system based on either one of these :)
So to speak of a niche product is simply not true :) This is only still the case for desktop computers...
Actually they are based on both not just one so that is misleading as well. Linux could've been there but it didn't take the leap and Windows now integrated multi user accounts based on Unix and now Linux must play catch up considering it was already a multi user system capable. So they missed the boat and it isn't Windows fault that Windows took advantage of the mis-steps of Linux to beat it at it's own game. It's still is a niche product go look around people home and office and what do you see "Windows" with some "Mac" and very little Linux and when you see it "Chrome" and the Software support can't beat what is out there for Windows or Mac. "Support Software" is what makes the difference in users accepting the Final Product of which Linux also missed the boat as well. Unix works well in Server based support because it is a true multi user O/S but for users and all the commands and control doesn't translate to Windows environment. One can pout all day about Linux should be #1 but at end of the day it falls far behind the iOS....that should tell you something.

Last edited:
I thought there was a PowerDVD version for Linux, but I can't find it anywhere. Second, Linux is quite fragmented. AnyDVD is an OS extension, so it needs to be well integrated into the OS. Unless you just want some simple "ripper" tool, this won't be easy.
At one time (October 2008) CyberLink was creating a Linux player:

CyberLink - PowerDVD Linux , PowerCinema Linux

Nothing more recent came up with a search.

Since Android runs a version of Linux and has a VLC . Guessing that would work. If not could be made to if an AnyDVDHD for Linux was released. I for one would like to see it done even though the only thing I have with it are Android OS's.

Back