• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip DVD To Iso

Mikey

I have a DVD disc with NO structural protection. Is Ripping to ISO right through AnyDVD OK ?

I have heard if a disc has structural protection that it is best to use CloneDVD (or CD???)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do NOT double post, use the "edit" link below your post instead. Double post merged.

1) Yes, it SHOULD be fine, but it's still not recommended. (Hence the warning in AnyDVD)
2) You heard right and wrong. Recommended method for DVD iso's is CloneDVD2's iso function. CloneCD only creates 1:1 copies and as such will also copy the structural protection layout if present on the disc.

The warning just simply states something about the .iso being used in Virtual Drives...etc...it doesn't exactly state why one cannot use it.

Why is it not recommended for a disc with no structural protection?

So confusing. What exactly does CloneDVD do differently for discs without structural protection?

Because if you rip to iso, discs that have structural protection will also have it in the iso. SP being there can cause playback issues, especially when burned back to disc. Not that it WILL, but that it may.

It's not what CloneDVD does differently for discs without it, it's what it does differently for discs WITH IT! Anydvd can only rip 1:1, so if the disc has SP, so will the iso. With CloneDVD that's not the case. CloneDVD let's you strip away the fake content that could cause playback issues, and still have the iso with only the optimized and REAL video content only.

Anydvd doesn't differentiate between titles with it or without it, it's not the recommended way so anydvd gives that message for all titles.

Thanks for your answer

What would be the problem in having a 1:1 .iso with structural DVD protection? Is that really a bad thing? Wouldn't burning such an ISO just theoretically create the same disc as the original DVD - and should therefore still work anyways as the original disc does??

Also another related question - is AnyDVD required to play protected .ISOs on the PC? I'd imagine it isn't needed. Decryption is only needed to rip DVDs/Blu-Rays...am I right?

Because SP is tied into the normal css encryption. Css gets removed but sp is left intact and thus can cause playback issues. After all it's a protection and cannot be removed during 1:1 copy to iso. It can only be removed on-demand with the folder ripper or through CloneDVD which is designed to be able remove fake content.

Of course anydvd (or another decrypter) is needed to play protected iso's. If you rip with protection intact and you play the Blu-ray iso without a decrypter, what do you think will happen? Right, the protection will kick it because it will detect it's not a physical disc and prevent playback.

For DVD's you can't even rip them with protection intact, it won't let you. Dvd or Blu-ray, is it's protected you need a decrypter for proper playback to remove the protection on-the-fly, or the protection will prevent copying or playback one way or another. That's what they're designed to do.

So my DVD said "no structural protection found" on AnyDVD - but are you saying it's wrong and DVD does have structural protections (because it did have CSS protection). Or do you mean a newer encryption system which ties structural protection to CSS like AaS...something and AnyDVD WOULD claim "Structural Protection found" ? And doing 1:1 of this is bad because it strips CSS but leaves structural? So it's like half-baked protected .iso?

I said no such thing. SP ties into it and works alongside css. Structural protection is nothing new.

So if the disc says no SP - i imagine doing .iso Is OK. But if It does have SP ..then just stripping CSS and leaving SP is bad...because as you said - it ties into css.

I'm not going to get into specific details, I dont know the inner workings of anydvd and I'm not going to say it's ok to rip to iso when no sp is detected. I guess if that was the case, anydvd wouldn't be giving the warning for non sp protected discs. However, it DOES and as such the only thing you'll see me say is 'don't use the iso ripper on DVD's'. Whether they have sp or not.

thanks

perhaps @James can clarify more for non-SP DVDs (as detected by AnyDVD) and ripping to ISO

If you want a "cheap" ISO that badly - just rip to folder with AnyDVD, and then make an ISO out of that folder with the freeware imgburn.
All too easy............
-W

I have a DVD disc with NO structural protection. Is Ripping to ISO right through AnyDVD OK ?

I have heard if a disc has structural protection that it is best to use CloneDVD (or CD???)

Not so much about cheap DVD...really just need a Slysoft developer like @James to explain what the problem would be ripping a DVD to iso from AnyDVD that simply has no structural protection. Why should I do a longwinded two step procedure like rip to hard disk when it may not be necessary? Right now no one has really technically explained why it would be bad for the given DVD. Also the warning makes no mention of non-SP DVDs

OK
It's "normally" safe to rip a DVD with no structural protection direct to ISO.
In AnyDVD, put a check in the setting "Show information window for new media" and you'll know about every disk you put in.
That said. Most people just develop an SOP for all disks. Because........
It takes the same time to rip to folder as it does to ISO - the real limiter is the optical drive speed.
Converting a ripped folder to an ISO takes seconds - not minutes. (hardly "longwinded")
So the 2-step process only takes a fraction longer, and assures some "surety" on the whole thing.
-W

OP can use cloneDVD to make ISO as recommended by the development team. There's no need to RIP before running through cloneDVD either. Once AnyDVDHD has scanned the disc it's ready for use . And as clams suggested a good way to know when it's ready is to have "show information window for new media" checked in settings .

OK
It's "normally" safe to rip a DVD with no structural protection direct to ISO.
In AnyDVD, put a check in the setting "Show information window for new media" and you'll know about every disk you put in.
That said. Most people just develop an SOP for all disks. Because........
It takes the same time to rip to folder as it does to ISO - the real limiter is the optical drive speed.
Converting a ripped folder to an ISO takes seconds - not minutes. (hardly "longwinded")
So the 2-step process only takes a fraction longer, and assures some "surety" on the whole thing.
-W
Ripping to folder and then to make ISO is wasting time, just make a ISO image rather then jumping through multiple hoops to make a ISO.

Ripping to folder and then to make ISO is wasting time, just make a ISO image rather then jumping through multiple hoops to make a ISO.

AnyDVD advises specifically against using it to rip a DVD directly to ISO.
If you own a program (like CloneDVD) that can do that with AnyDVD in the background, then sure you can.
If not - rip first, process second is the way the Devs say to do it.
-W

thanks

perhaps @James can clarify more for non-SP DVDs (as detected by AnyDVD) and ripping to ISO
Already did in another thread. I would not recommend it. I have seen non protected DVDs authored so badly, they almost didn't play anywhere. (I remember the broken "Elevator" DVD, which could be fixed with AnyDVD & CloneDVD).
Want an ISO? Just use CloneDVD. Brilliant software. Available since 15 years. Nobody ever had to pay for an update. Highly recommended.

Already did in another thread. I would not recommend it. I have seen non protected DVDs authored so badly, they almost didn't play anywhere. (I remember the broken "Elevator" DVD, which could be fixed with AnyDVD & CloneDVD).
Want an ISO? Just use CloneDVD. Brilliant software. Available since 15 years. Nobody ever had to pay for an update. Highly recommended.
Yea @Mikey and right here is the thread. BTW he's a RedFox developer now. Slysoft does not exist anymore:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/wha...d-with-no-remastering-wanted-or-needed.70707/
And this was what he said about it which was an excellent explanation and reasons I had never thought of. And since he's part of the DEV team of RedFox I put alot of stock in what he has to say.

In theory using "rip to image with additional dvd file" and burning with CloneDVD or using CloneCD (both methods preserve the layer break position) should do what you want.
The question is - do you really want this? With DVDs there is a popular thing called "structural protection". It stretches the DVD standard a lot, so that copy programs struggle, but players are still able to play it.
But I have seen many discs which played in player A but did not in player B. The discs are filled with garbage, invalid files, wrong filesystem pointers, ....
Sure, if you create an .iso with CloneCD it might play. But will it play with the new player you will buy in one year?
If you use CloneDVD instead, you will get a clean copy with perfect layer break position which is likely to play on every player you throw it at.
So, my advice is to always use CloneDVD, so you don't have to worry. Ever.

Last edited:
I understand about structural - but I wonder if it's a problem for discs which are detected with "No Structural Protection" @James :)

I will definitely be switching to CloneDVD + AnyDVD soon.

Might I ask if using AnyDVD Decrypter - to rip to drive - and put in a .ISO for DVDs is fine? Curious. I know it's not as good as CloneDVD..but I'm wonderign if I have to re-do the DVDs I did with AnyDVD Decrypter OK ?

Back