• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How did anyone miss the discount period?

JT!

It seemed most people were brought to redfox site and forum because their product updated and then didn't work with the old licence. If you knew that upgrading without a licence would stop anydvd hd from working and therefor rejecting the upgrade then that person must have been on the forum at some point to know to do that.

So what situation can anyone be in where they were not informed? Not using the software for all this time and then suddenly trying to use it now seems a little unlikely.

Not really flaming anyone... just curious about the possible situations that might have arisen.

If one had taken the time to read the Stickies this was all hashed already-failure to read the RedFox download/purchase home page isn't RedFox fault. This has been told so many times yet people keep not listening. Slysoft is dead and that is why you get no Notifications that isn't RedFox fault let's get this Facts straight. Blame Slysoft and contact them if you can find them anymore about your complaints.

It seemed most people were brought to redfox site and forum because their product updated and then didn't work with the old licence. If you knew that upgrading without a licence would stop anydvd hd from working and therefor rejecting the upgrade then that person must have been on the forum at some point to know to do that.

So what situation can anyone be in where they were not informed? Not using the software for all this time and then suddenly trying to use it now seems a little unlikely.

Not really flaming anyone... just curious about the possible situations that might have arisen.

Personally, I would have been one of the uninformed people, if I hadn't gotten a new computer mid March and found out about Slysoft's fate, when I wanted to install AnyDVD HD to my new machine. I only use/run AnyDVD HD, when I need it and that isn't daily, weekly or even monthly. And I only update the software, when I come across a DVD/BR release that isn't working with my current version (I also have update notifications turned off).

I definetly agree there was no Notifikation from Slysoft Or redfox, so I can Unterstand if there were People WHO didn't know about slysofts closure betimes - its just unprobable but not impossible.

However from my understanding the initial question was about These Guys WHO are using the last "Slysoft"-version brought By redfox Team. I guess there are People WHO like Being informed and Guys WHO like to complain - different People Different approaches...

I definetly agree there was no Notifikation from Slysoft Or redfox, so I can Unterstand if there were People WHO didn't know about slysofts closure betimes - its just unprobable but not impossible.

However from my understanding the initial question was about These Guys WHO are using the last "Slysoft"-version brought By redfox Team. I guess there are People WHO like Being informed and Guys WHO like to complain - different People Different approaches...
I didn't get any kinda notification and yet I learned of the demise of Slysoft - it was on the internet it wasn't hard to miss. Slysoft closed shop ASAP so no one is going to get notification why should they-that inlcuded me. I complained but I also research and read up on what happened to learn how and why at the same time. So it is to everyone responsibility to do their homework as well and not go blaming Slysoft that went bellup and then try to link it to RedFox as though it was their fault. Those were the unpaid staff that had to pickup the pieces and get the ball rolling again-but people still cling on to Slysoft as RedFox despite being told over and over Slysoft is Dead and RedFox was the employees picking up the pieces to keep the software going. I for one am glad they did otherwise every piece of other software that depended on Anydvd HD working would go bellup fast or get closed down by ACCS-LA.

Speaking as one who wasn't aware, I was aware that SlySoft shutdown when I tried updating my AnyDVD version a couple months ago, but I had zero idea that it was being brought back under the RedFox name. Considering that they have many of our contact e-mails via the forum, it would have been nice if RF had sent out an e-mail to that affect, but it's water under the bridge. I'm sorry I missed out on the 20% discount, but not upset or bitter.

I only found out when I finally got around to searching for AnyDVD alternatives. Ironically, the website I visited listed several different alternatives, but it was a comment made by a user below it, that alerted me to the RedFox option.

An assumption on my part but given the nature of the product, I would not have expected any kind of email communication from the RedFox team once they came online after the collapse of Slysoft. Also, I don't recall when having had a Slysoft license ever having been contacted by them.

I assume there are many of us who use AnyDVD very frequently. And, there are many who use it very, very infrequently so I expect that we will be hearing from quite a few through the rest of this year and well into next with questions about their Slysoft license, problems upgrading from 7.6.9.5, etc. As a community, I hope we treat these former customers and potential new customers with understanding since they truly may not know what hit them. However, if they are belligerent, flaming about being long-time license holders, "loyal" customers, deserve a free LTL, the gloves are off ;). Though I really do suspect most are probably like Jito463.

Slysoft would send out emails for official updates. Otherwise, I don't recall Slysoft sending out any emails of any kind minus sales receipt or customer support ones. Now, with what happened at the time that things occurred in the server transition, etc, I doubt the infrastructure existed to send out a mass emailing. That could also be viewed as spam by some. Furthermore, I believe it's been proven on more than a few occasions that numerous email providers didn't treat Slysoft and now RedFox emails kindly meaning you might not get them at all.

The closing of Slysoft was a pretty big deal and got quite a bit of online coverage. That doesn't mean everyone would be aware of it, however. It took longer than expected for RedFox to get the payment systems up, etc, and then once sales began the discounts were available and lasted 2 months. Slysoft's closure was approximately February 27, 2016. We're just shy of the 6 month anniversary of the loss. This didn't just happen yesterday and it would be assumed that the majority of people would have known by now. At the very least the OPD switchover and cut-off should have caused people try to visit the Slysoft website or forums. Still, however, some people may have remained in the dark.

I fully sympathize with the people who didn't know things happened but RedFox also couldn't offer a never-ending sale/discount. The entire situation has been unfortunate for everyone involved but at least AnyDVD still exists and that is a result of the support from the community and the perseverance of the former Slysoft staff and developers. Without them we wouldn't be here talking about this. While [some] people may be frustrated they also have something to be thankful for.

I don't see the sense of this thread. yes I missed it. I have not complained. good for all you guys who did not miss it. its not like complaining or running these kinds of threads would change anything. I appreciate drinklyeanddie's post. at least hes sympathetic. thank you

I was just curious on how people could have missed it. The thread revealed situations on how that happened so it's serving it's purpose for me.

I used AnyDVD (not AnyDVD HD). Updates typically didn't make much difference, so I usually disabled the new-version nag. Found out about it when my DVD drive died, replaced with a BD drive, and wanted to upgrade to the HD version.

I fully sympathize with the people who didn't know things happened but RedFox also couldn't offer a never-ending sale/discount.

I assume from this then that the 'introductory discount' was wide open for anyone? In which case I of course agree it had to have a window.

However if it had been restricted to former LTL-owners, then I'm unsure why it couldn't be available on an on-going basis? That would require that Redfox had access to the Slysoft customer-database, and that may have been the stumbling block. Or, potentially, there could be some other mechanism implemented to establish previous ownership.

I doubt the infrastructure existed to send out a mass emailing. That could also be viewed as spam by some. Furthermore, I believe it's been proven on more than a few occasions that numerous email providers didn't treat Slysoft and now RedFox emails kindly meaning you might not get them at all.

I got regular email notifications from Slysoft, every time AnyDVD-HD was updated. (I just checked my mailbox, and I must have over a hundred of them, dating back over many years.) If Redfox does have the old customer DB, then that would seem to be an excellent asset for refilling the coffers. They just need to short-circuit potential animosity by making it clear that Slysoft is gone, and with it went their old LTLs. I think a lot of the endless (and useless) discussion that's flooded the Forum is that people are shocked, and just aren't clear on what happened. Then as they rant, it slowly dawns on them, and they eventually accept reality.

But certainly old customers of SS could become new customers of RF. A 'transition discount' might help smooth that. However, finding out there was a discount (available to everyone?), but you missed it, doesn't improve the situation. ;) For myself, the 20 buck or whatever difference isn't that big of a deal. I'll buy a RF-LTL either way, eventually. The last time I stopped by here (Mar/Apr, I think?), they were still trying to get a new payment system set up. So no one could support them even if they wanted to.

Last edited:
I assume from this then that the 'introductory discount' was wide open for anyone? In which case I of course agree it had to have a window.
However if it had been restricted to former LTL-owners, then I'm unsure why it couldn't be available on an on-going basis? That would require that Redfox had access to the Slysoft customer-database, and that may have been the stumbling block. Or, potentially, there could be some other mechanism implemented to establish previous ownership.
Most users of Anydvd were already users not new from Slysoft for quite some time and a few years already. They didn't have the time or financial structure as this is was private endeavor for their previous Slysoft users. Your asking alot without understanding what all took place and that doesn't help the discussion if one fails to read what happened and why it happened and why they had to do with what they had.

I got regular email notifications from Slysoft, every time AnyDVD-HD was updated. (I just checked my mailbox, and I must have over a hundred of them, dating back over many years.) If Redfox does have the old customer DB, then that would seem to be an excellent asset for refilling the coffers. They just need to short-circuit potential animosity by making it clear that Slysoft is gone, and with it went their old LTLs. I think a lot of the endless (and useless) discussion that's flooded the Forum is that people are shocked, and just aren't clear on what happened. Then as they rant, it slowly dawns on them, and they eventually accept reality.
I also got update from Slysoft til they stop and that would've been enough to info one that something was a miss and that one would go to their site to see what happened to learn of the news. It's neither Slysoft or Redfox fault you stop getting notices they had no choice in what happened. And LTL didn't go away because Slysoft closed Redfox made that generous offer to Slysoft users when switching over to Redfox. I followed what was going on and knew about this so saying they didn't tell us is giving misinformation. Slysoft closure made big Internet news most people didn't miss it.

But certainly old customers of SS could become new customers of RF. A 'transition discount' might help smooth that. However, finding out there was a discount (available to everyone?), but you missed it, doesn't improve the situation. ;) For myself, the 20 buck or whatever difference isn't that big of a deal. I'll buy a RF-LTL either way, eventually. The last time I stopped by here (Mar/Apr, I think?), they were still trying to get a new payment system set up. So no one could support them even if they wanted to.
They gave a discount for 2 months, missing it isn't the fault of Redfox but people still keeping blaming them. This is a private endeavor by those employees to keep the product going there is no headquarters or CEO anymore so blaming Redfox for what they had to put together is being disingenuous to all their effort to keep the software going. I for one was upset at first but came to realization if it wasn't for Slysoft(dead) and Redfox taking over there would be no way for me to backup my movies dvd/bd. We all use the software and yet forget the work it took to get it where it is now. It works and whether discount days or not is worth the money it is printed on. You can still use 7.6.9.5 for DVD movies until May 2016 but for BD you need v8 and new license to get that option to work that is what your choices are. There are others out there that claim to work but Anydvd was one software that prove to all the it worked and has no apologizes to make for it.

LOL! Truly sad stories out there...this is most definitely not one of them!
I was just browsing the Spanish thread for curiosity (used to speak Espanol) and thought I'd see what I could read and understand...guess what I read?
The usual whining about paying again for the same product, they are responsible (Redfox) for honoring the same product from Slysoft...etc.
I guess Espanol tends to make one silly and childish? Or is that just a common condition among spoiled children of adult years?
LOL!
I am a real bitch when I get dissed, but after literally thousands of backups how in Hell could I feel ripped off?
Shit happens, things change...I wish I had a horse for Sundays, and a Harley to get there on!
LOL!
If wishes were horses, I'd have a Dynaglide!
Redfox...can I have a free license just because? :)

Let's please not go down the road with this thread that we don't need to. It's clear that some people were unaware of what occurred and are now finding out. That's unfortunate. Some of the people are going through the same feelings as when everything actually occurred. Let's not stoke that fire again.

Let's please not go down the road with this thread that we don't need to. It's clear that some people were unaware of what occurred and are now finding out. That's unfortunate. Some of the people are going through the same feelings as when everything actually occurred. Let's not stoke that fire again.

Oh please! After 6 months and years of availability of AnyDVD, most complainers are not just surprised at the facts of life...they are chronic whiners; realistic people don't have a problem with reality...the "I paid once and it's the same thing (it's red, with flashing blue lights! LOL) so I deserve to get it free for EVER!" routine is the same in Espanol and Engrish.
No one shoulda got a trophy for just showing up and breathing...too much reinforced self esteem where it wasn't justified...and it shows.
Sorry you think after all this time crybabies should be soothed and consoled...I believe the silly complaints are NOT the same as the realistic assessments most members come to.
It pleases me more to give credit where it's due and to "sneer" at the 12 year old mentality of the chronically whiny.
I hope you won a few trophies and awards for being a winner, not just the Olympics but along the way for doing the work...but I am tasked by the Easter Bunny to see that credit is given and I do that. Good job moderating and all that, but nothing is forever, not even Mommy's approval.

Back