• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Region Removal Issue

fightinag08

I am working on a Region B Blu-ray of The Hollow Crown

I downloaded the most recent version of AnyDVD HD and attempted to remove the Region Code for playback on Region A players. A screen shot of the status tab and the log file are attached. After the disc finished, I tried playing it on several different Blu-ray players to no avail. Each player returns the following message:

This Blu-ray disc will play back on region B players only

I was under the impression AnyDVD removes the Region restrictions from the physical disc. Is this not the case? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.4 KB · Views: 34
  • AnyDVD_8.0.3.2_Info_D_U5_8302110_B_R0.ziplog
    105.2 KB · Views: 21
Did you enable the region removal setting? Make sure you don't resume but start playback from the beginning

What did you use to burn the bluray with the region code removed? I don't know if it makes a difference in this point, but did you 'Rip to Image..." (ISO) and burn that new ISO (or how was it ripped)? I'm also curious, could you put the newly burned bluray in the computer and post a capture of that status tab? Sorry if I'm asking too much, just trying to help when possible. I have a region B bluray coming in the mail from UK that I want to play in LG Bluray player that is not region free player.

what he used to burn is irrelevant. Region code is stored in the disc code, not during burning.

This is off topic, but I am trying to help. Fightinag08 (New Member) has a problem that I wanted to know about more about because I said I was going to be in same situation, so I asked for some simple information from him. Ch3vr0n, I take things personally way to often (my problem, not yours), but as an FYI (for your information), your response is exactly the reason I don't post on the forums most of the time when I have thoughts. To re-assure myself and my thoughts, I had someone else read this thread and got their comments, they said they would not want to help either. I am NOT saying this to attack anyone or start an argument.

i know you're trying to help, not to start an argument. Neither am i, in my case i'm just educating you (or trying to) that whatever he used to burn has no impact on region. If the region is not / incorrectly removed during the RIPPING stage, then no matter the burn tool used it'll still not work after you burn it. Technically a burn tool is very stupid, you tell it to "hey, take this/these file(s), use this burner and tell it to burn it to a disc and let me know when it's done". It can't affect regions at all.

If the region wasn't removed properly during ripping, then playback simply won't work. Not with the rip, and not with the burned backup

I downloaded the most recent version of AnyDVD HD and attempted to remove the Region Code for playback on Region A players. A screen shot of the status tab and the log file are attached. After the disc finished, I tried playing it on several different Blu-ray players to no avail. Each player returns the following message:

I was under the impression AnyDVD removes the Region restrictions from the physical disc. Is this not the case? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
You have done everything right, and AnyDVD should remove the region lock. Apparently it does not for this particular disc. We're looking into it. Thank you for reporting the problem.

I don't see how region code removal would go wrong with this disc.
Everything looks fine to me.
Just to make sure: what CAN happen, is that you play back the disc (or a copy thereof) without removing the region code and THEN activate region code removal, play it again, and the player will dumbly replay the same "wrong region code" clip, because it wants to be nice and takes over from where you left with your previous attempt (it resumes playing back the "region code" clip).
So: make sure, you told your player NOT to resume in that case, but instead to play back from start.

If that is not the situation here, then please post the following two files from your non-working copy (not the original):

\BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv
\BDMV\STREAM\00001.m2ts

Please zip them (or rar) before uploading, the forum rejects unknown extensions.
I can check what is going on then.

Thank you.

This may sound crazy, but from reading the OP's post, I wonder if he thought AnyDVD HD actually changed the physical disc so it could be read in stand-alone Region A players. Original discs are generally read-only; AnyDVD HD removes region coding in realtime so it is playable by PC software players, but it CANNOT modify the original physical disc. If you insert THAT disc in a stand-alone player of a different region, it will STILL show as region-locked.

If you want to play it on something other than your PC, rip it, then either (a) burn to BD-R or BD-RE for playback in Cinavia-free hardware players (as the posts above discuss), or (b) convert it to another format (MKV, etc.) playable in a player that doesn't detect Cinavia in non-disc files. (The PS3 and some other players will detect Cinavia in any media file, but many BD players with Cinavia will detect it only on BDs & DVDs.) You can also use a region-free stand-alone player separately from AnyDVD HD; these players' region locks are hacked (thru either little-known remote codes or hardware modifications) so you can set the region yourself to match the disc. And if you have CloneBD (or a certain competitor), you can attempt Cinavia removal though results are not guaranteed.

Last edited:
You're right, now that you say it, it does sound like it.
He'd not be the first to think so.

Hi RBBrittain, RE: This may sound crazy, I just started a thread about Midnight Special. I had upgraded to the 8.0.4.0 version and that disk just kept scanning and scanning. It never did popup the "select region" dialog like it always does, and when it did finally pop up the information screen it looked alright but couldn't play the disk. I wonder if something has changed in the region removal code. Just putting this out there to see what you think since I have not had any problems with ANY other disk until now. Thanks
PS: I should mention that on another PC with a LG burner AnyDVD 8.0.4.0 DID WORK CORRECTLY so that is yet another big mystery.

you have a completely different issue. OP's likely attempting to physically remove the region from a store bought disc, in your case anydvd has issues scanning the disc. Totally different.

SAME PROBLEM with "The Cruel Sea". Also region B. Playback on two machines (OPPO and Philips) goes to a five second title (6) and just recycles that forever while showing a black screen. No region warning or anything else.
Tried to upload--don't have ZIP for BDMV files.
Backup copy looks right and reported "successful". All region checkmarks correct in BluRay setup. Scan appeared normal. Used Image Burn.

Same system worked with a couple of other region discs without problems.

Last edited:
[disc]
type=BD-R
version=AnyDVD HD 8.0.4.0 (BDPHash.bin 16-05-19)
totalsectors=18438304
label=THE_CRUEL_SEA
speedmenu=1
region=-1
3D=0
fps=24

Note -1 ?

this is from the backup copy.

[disc]
type=BD-R
version=AnyDVD HD 8.0.4.0 (BDPHash.bin 16-05-19)
totalsectors=18438304
label=THE_CRUEL_SEA
speedmenu=1
region=-1
3D=0
fps=24

Note -1 ?

this is from the backup copy.

-1 I'm thinking might be the code for Region Free? Did anydvd pop a Region code dialog when you scanned the disc (assuming you are set to Auto region removal)?

Try to rip it as Region B (2) maybe.

SAME PROBLEM with "The Cruel Sea". Also region B. Playback on two machines (OPPO and Philips) goes to a five second title (6) and just recycles that forever while showing a black screen. No region warning or anything else.
Tried to upload--don't have ZIP for BDMV files.
Backup copy looks right and reported "successful". All region checkmarks correct in BluRay setup. Scan appeared normal. Used Image Burn.

Same system worked with a couple of other region discs without problems.
Please post a logfile from the original disc. Thank you.

-1 I'm thinking might be the code for Region Free? Did anydvd pop a Region code dialog when you scanned the disc (assuming you are set to Auto region removal)?

Try to rip it as Region B (2) maybe.
With speedmenus the region is irrelevant. If "keep original menus" is not set, AnyDVD won't even try to determine or remove the region.

Got warning up front from original disc that it would not play because of "Wrong Region" setting in two players.

Backup copy was just black screen with counter reading 0 to 5 seconds and repeat on display and in "info display". Title total time read 5 seconds as well.

"Keep original menus" was NOT set.
Same operating system removed region restrictions on another region B with this setting on previous edition before 8.0.4.0.

Prices on region free players is now acceptable. Bought one.

Last edited:
[disc]
type=BD-R
speedmenu=1
region=-1
Got warning up front from original disc that it would not play because of "Wrong Region" setting in two players.
"Keep original menus" was NOT set.
Same operating system removed region restrictions on another region B with this setting on previous edition before 8.0.4.0.
James said "If "keep original menus" is not set, AnyDVD won't even try to determine or remove the region", so if you used Speedmenu I guess anydvd didn't remove region.
I've never used speedmenu so I'm unsure what it does when the disc is region locked. Is it supposed to auto-bypass the lock?

Also, not every disc from Region B is necessarily locked to B. Some are still region free, so having other B discs play fine does not mean region was removed as they may have no had a region lock to begin with.

Last edited:
As James said, post a logfile from the original disc, that way he can check to see if it's working properly. No logfile, then no help

Back