• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Upgraded to AnyDVD 8 and now it says my Lifetime LIC expired???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no thanks from me too. I bought one lifetime AnyDVD license, I'm not about to fall for the whole lifetime license "trick" again.
You always have the 1, 2 or 3 year license options to consider.

All the topics on the shutdown of Slyfox and startup of Redfox are interesting. The declaration of the shutdown being complete and the new product needing a new license are interesting. In business terms, a shutdown should mean that the assets of a company are sold or decommissioned as may be the case for proprietary software that has a legal risk for sale in certain countries.

The interesting part is how the slyfox proprietary software mysteriously appears in a new company that has nothing to do with the old company, its product, its customers, and the licenses it issued. While the new company has somehow obtained all the proprietary technology such that it can offer an identical product immediately following the end of availability of the old product and then not recognize the customers of the old product and their investment in the old product suggests that the new company had to purchase the proprietary technology at a big price and now need to be able to fund that capital purchase

It easy to spin a line that Redfox has nothing to do with Slyfox but the trail of proprietary technology says otherwise. In most business circles, such an acquisition would have the new company interested in also acquiring the customers of the old company by also acquiring the customer list and attracting them to continue their investments in the new product. In this case, there is a stand taken that actually alienates the founding customers and provides nothing to give the customer base any confidence in their continuing investments. All is understandable if the proprietary technology is so rare and special that there are no other alternatives available.

Of course, there is a possibility that the new company did not acquire the proprietary technology but obtained it by other means. That makes me think carefully about any more purchases of the same technology that I already had a lifetime license to use.

I understand all the arguments why Redfox has been founded. I understand too that Redfox need a financial base to operate.
But I deem the arguments from IanC being very valid: what is the basis Redfox is founded upon? Can seomone from Slysoft sue them?

What I ask myself (being a Slysoft lifetime owner) about bying a new license: how do I know that Redfox won't stop operations within (short) time?

_________
I agree with you.
The license for the Redfox product is extremely expensive. And then I wonder - seeing that its "legal framework" and geographic situation is pretty much the same as Slysoft was, I would say one can ask what the chances are of it also being closed down. In the exchange rate context of where I live a license is almost 2 000 bucks. Too expensive, sorry.
There is no conspiracy to separate you from your money. You're obviously very busy living your life not to have known what happened, so I'll summarize.

To make a long story short, the US government finally put enough pressure on the Antiguan government that Slysoft was forced to cease operations. Slysoft is no more, so your Slysoft license will not allow you to get updates from Redfox. The owner of Slysoft has nothing to do with Redfox; he took his money and moved on. Blame our government and the ridiculous DMCA if you have to blame someone. Former Slysoft employees got together and formed Redfox to continue this wonderful product. I am glad they did, and I'm happy to support their work by purchasing a new license.

Personally, I don't know how the devs can offer AnyDVDHD at anything other than a subscription license. It's a product that requires continual support and updates to function.

CRAP - The whole thing is a RIP OFF - Just an excuse to raise more capital at the expense of the existing customer base - SHAME ON YOU ALL, Bastards !!!

All the topics on the shutdown of Slyfox and startup of Redfox are interesting. The declaration of the shutdown being complete and the new product needing a new license are interesting. In business terms, a shutdown should mean that the assets of a company are sold or decommissioned as may be the case for proprietary software that has a legal risk for sale in certain countries.

The interesting part is how the slyfox proprietary software mysteriously appears in a new company that has nothing to do with the old company, its product, its customers, and the licenses it issued. While the new company has somehow obtained all the proprietary technology such that it can offer an identical product immediately following the end of availability of the old product and then not recognize the customers of the old product and their investment in the old product suggests that the new company had to purchase the proprietary technology at a big price and now need to be able to fund that capital purchase

It easy to spin a line that Redfox has nothing to do with Slyfox but the trail of proprietary technology says otherwise. In most business circles, such an acquisition would have the new company interested in also acquiring the customers of the old company by also acquiring the customer list and attracting them to continue their investments in the new product. In this case, there is a stand taken that actually alienates the founding customers and provides nothing to give the customer base any confidence in their continuing investments. All is understandable if the proprietary technology is so rare and special that there are no other alternatives available.

Of course, there is a possibility that the new company did not acquire the proprietary technology but obtained it by other means. That makes me think carefully about any more purchases of the same technology that I already had a lifetime license to use.

Hear, Hear !!! Hit the proverbial nail right on the head !!
Any they think we are stupid enough to believe their story - Long bow being pulled here...

Hear, Hear !!! Hit the proverbial nail right on the head !!
Any they think we are stupid enough to believe their story - Long bow being pulled here...

Yup. Slysoft picked a new name and then took a voluntary pass on any kind of income for nearly half a year, just to rip off their customers and damage their reputation.
Does that really make a lot of sense to you?

It has been explained over and over how things came to pass and why there are no "assets" to speak of (and even if there were, the scheme you're making up wouldn't make the least bit of sense).
I know that, at times, to some it can be fun to get het up about something and then pick up on the trail of all kinds of conspiracy theories, just to get rid of all the anger that has been piling up over so many things.
And who doesn't love a scandal, even if that takes inventing one.

It's just that it is getting tiresome.....

All I can say at this juncture, is that the RedFox team really put a hell of a lot though into how a compromise can be found, so things can go on with the least impact on the customer base.
That some are going to feel left out, is inevitable, but you're directing your anger in the wrong direction (probably because this direction is the only one you expect to be heard).

There is nothing mysterious if someone owes you money and they can't pay it you take COLLATERAL for the value owed that is what RedFox has done period has been discussed before ad nauseum on here.

Each to their own - I won't be spending any of my hard earned money with Redfox .... so don't really care which way you slice the rip-off scheme....

Before this thread is locked. I want to note that:

1. Slysoft does not exist, and the former owner is in no position to sue Redfox for anything. His venue would have to be Antigua, and he's "persona non grata" there. ie SOL
I also agree that taking and using the code that they developed - to compensate for funds owed them, was the smartest way to go here.
2. I trust this "ownership team" a lot more than I trusted the former owner of Slysoft. He made a living largely by financing quasi-legal "internet vice" schemes based in "strange countries".
At least these guys actually know something about the product they sell. :)

By all rights - AnyDVD should be gone the way of poor old DVDShrink. This was the only way to keep the project alive.
Call it a "cash grab" if you will. But a quick "cash grab" was required to get this thing up and running on all cylinders.
No one likes it.... but it is what it is. And insulting the team is not going to change it.
-W

I purchased a LIFETIME LIC back in 2013. This AM AnyDVD had a popup saying there was a new version, so I clicked it just like every other time. I installed the new version (v8). Once it installed a window pops up telling me my Lic has expired.

How can I get this fixed?

INVOICE
=======

SlySoft order number: 130*****

Date: 2013-12-29 21:15:18

SlySoft, Inc.
P.O. Box W874
St. John's
Antigua and Barbuda

Customer information:

robert s***********
St. Charles IL 60175
United States of America

Qty Item Price Tax Total
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1 AnyDVDHD Renewal (lifetime) 80.00 0.00 80.00 EUR
Discount -16.00 EUR
Total: 64.00 EUR
You have been billed: 88.41 USD
=====================================================================
Hi rms8,

I feel the same way you do about Redfox charging people who already have a lifetime license. That kind of thinking makes it difficult for me to trust these people. For all we know, they could sell a lot of licenses and then disappear. Not a nice way to do business. I have been using anydvd since 2004 and am really disappointed in what has happened to them.

Regards,

Don James
Henderson, Texas USA

Hi rms8,
I feel the same way you do about Redfox charging people who already have a lifetime license. That kind of thinking makes it difficult for me to trust these people. For all we know, they could sell a lot of licenses and then disappear. Not a nice way to do business. I have been using anydvd since 2004 and am really disappointed in what has happened to them.

Since 2004? Sounds like you got your money's worth. :)
Like I said... I'd trust these people far more than the previous owner of Slysoft.
I trust them, because I've known and dealt with them for over a decade here.
IMHO sending money to Bettini was more of a gamble. (pun intended)
-W
7aa0c6cf55efaecffc190721cf25368a_m.jpg

donjames, the time for debating is over. Everything that can be said has been said these past weeks and months leading up to the point of redfox licenses becoming available. Nobody likes what happens, but it's neither redfox's nor slysofts fault. Blame the USA and the aacs-la and mpaa. Nobody will force you to get a new licens, but there will be no further debating.

@psg_au Nobody's a bastard here. Do the research into what happened. Insults will not be tolerated

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back