• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any tips on repairing scratched Blu-Ray discs?

Pelvis Popcan

There are basically two machines that repair DVD's:

1) Buffing machine, such as the JFJ Easy Pro. For scratches, it includes sanding pads that actually scrape off a thin layer of polycarbonate, then buffs it back to a high shine using two successively finer polishing compounds.

2) Heat machine, such as the Venmill units. They aren't cheap, but they don't remove any of the polycarbonate. Instead, they heat it up and press it, like an iron, which softens the polycarbonate and literally presses the scratches out.

The problem with BD-ROM's is that they are not made of the same materials as DVD's. They use a thinner back, and a new harder scratch resistant material for the data side. But, it is not immune to scratching. You can't use the heat machine on it, because it is heat resistant. And you can't sand it, because it's too hard. You won't be able to buff it back to a useable state.

The best you can try is just the polishing compounds either by hand or on the JFJ machine. If it doesn't work, you're SOL.

I think BD-ROM manufacturers should switch to using the same polycarbonate as DVD's, like HD-DVD, which could be repaired using either of the above two methods.

Venmill has stated that they are currently developing a Blu-Ray repair machine, but won't give any details on anything about it yet.

Has anyone used any other methods successfully on a scratched or scuffed disc that has unreadable sectors on it?

My personal recommendation is don't scratch them in the 1st place. :D

I would be interested in knowing anyones opinion of repairing the disks though.
I actually have a damaged copy of the Matrix out of the box. The machine (or person) that put the disk in the box somehow managed to break the centre hole and cause a chip and a crack. So far this has not extended to the reflective coating, and I've not played the disk for this reason. The shop I bought it from was going out of business, so no chance for a return.

The best repair is to buy a new copy

Unlike HD DVD the data coat was sandwiched in the middle if two 0.6mm layers just like DVD and could be repaired the same.

But with bluray the data layer is pretty much on the surface thats how they could achieve 50GB rather than 30GB like HD DVD and also why they have a harder coating but the downside is that scratches can however small easily penetrate and damage the data layer and this cannot be repaired.

I have successfully used Novus #2 Fine Scratch remover followed by Novus #1 Plastic Clean and Shine. Website is www.Novuspolish.com.

Available locally in Northern California at TAP Plastics (where they sell Plexiglass and such).
Small bottles of both cost about $10 together. If the alternative is to throw it away, it is certainly worth a try.

Repairing scratched blurays

As the OP points out, there are differences between DVD and BR. However many options have been available for quite some time when it comes to repairing scratched bluray discs. And venmill machines are not based on heat. they are based on buffing. The reason they do not work so well on BR is due to the higher density of the protective material, but they have addressed that with the release of their 'hybrid' unit. DGT (Disc-go-tech) has units that have been compatible with BR even before BR was commercially available. RTI as well. Their ECO line is best in class at repairing any type of optical disc. Although the units start at over 2k. You can try a massive amount of buffing with an old easy pro or double arm, but it will cost a fortune in supplies.

I would recommend a disc-go-devil (msrp $1800) made by disc-go-tech, or an ECO-Pro (msrp $1650) made by RTI. There are better units, but these would be considered 'entry' class.

There is a site that caters to disc repair professionals, and offers all of these units both new and refurbished, as well as all of their supplies. Check it out to get quick answers to disc repair questions: http://www.discmagic.ca

I have successfully used Novus #2 Fine Scratch remover followed by Novus #1 Plastic Clean and Shine. Website is www.Novuspolish.com.

Available locally in Northern California at TAP Plastics (where they sell Plexiglass and such).
Small bottles of both cost about $10 together. If the alternative is to throw it away, it is certainly worth a try.
Hello, I know it's been a while for this post. I'm just trying be clear, is this for blurays? Assuming you are answering the question then it is.

Hello, I know it's been a while for this post. I'm just trying be clear, is this for blurays? Assuming you are answering the question then it is.
Hello...where have you been reading did you not look at the Topic post? These type of replies makes you wonder if people read before posting...

Hello...where have you been reading did you not look at the Topic post? These type of replies makes you wonder if people read before posting...

@Recycle, Please Do Not Get Nasty with People.
Zent, Asked a Reasonable Question. Pelvis Popcan, Talked about all Three... DVD's, HD-DVD, Blu-ray Disc's.

I would like to know if this... Novus Polish, worked on DVD's, HD-DVD, Blu-ray Disc's.

A bit pricey, IMO, but if the products can fix CDs, DVDs and BDs instead of buying new discs the savings add up.

We had an interesting case over at MyCE, where someone stored their Blu-ray discs in a CD wallet type folder. The Blu-ray discs seem to be vulnerable to anything pressing on the writing side of the BD-R's, and so with a little weight from the combined discs and folder, the pattern on the sleeves of the case became impressed on the bottom of the discs. They were unreadable.

His solution was to use a heat gun or hair dryer and blow hot air on the discs. The pattern on the writing side of the disc surface evened out, and the discs became readable once more.

Duraglit is the best for any scratch removal in plastic including watch faces.

Out of curiosity... how do you guys manage to scratch a Blu-Ray? I own over 500, never scratched a single one. I must have dropped some a couple of times, yet no trace of a scratch on them because of the better coating of Blu-Ray compared to DVDs.

Are you letting young kids play with them or something?

PS: not talking about BD-Rs here, but original discs.

Duraglit is the best for any scratch removal in plastic including watch faces.

Hi, They make a.. Duraglit Metal Polish and a Duraglit Silvo Silver Polish. Which Duraglit Polish are you using?
Did you try it on a.. CD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray Disc's? I have some lite scratches that I would like to remove on several of my CD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc's.

Back