• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Troubleshooting ripped Blu-ray suddenly freezing

PhantomDM

I want to preserve original quality in my rips so I use BD-50, dual layer Blu-rays. Yes, they cost more than single layer ones, and on singles there's no siginificant quality loss, but it's up to me so I've made my choice.

The matter is what I have to do in order to do this simple, "easy" rip.

Basically, I do only 2 steps:

1) Use AnyDVD HD to create an ISO image and
2) Burn the ISO: using BurnAware Free (yes, BurnAware - Avira messes things up with OpenCandy and ImgBurn) or Toast Titanium

Two steps because (I think) no other app is needed (no compression, no shrinking required).

However, I've posted this in the software-related forum because I think there's something wrong in AnyDVD HD. Right now, two backups have gone: Lone Survivor and The Fault in Our Stars. They're freezing suddenly, always at the same point (~31m and ~21m16s).

I've tried playing the rips with VLC on my laptop and The Fault in Our Stars reports this error when freezing, lots of times: "libbluray warning event 2 param 1".

I think there's some sort of copy protection that AnyDVD HD has not erased (The Fault in Our Stars has AACS version 46 and BD+).

What am I doing wrong?
Are my two steps sufficient for a simple BD-50 to BD-50 rip?

I use anydvdhd to iso and then use imgburn to Verbatim blu-ray 50gb with no problems. What media are you using!!! If your virus protection is a problem turn it off temporarly. I would use imgburn!! Added I would use powerdvd instead of vlc player.

I use anydvdhd to iso and then use imgburn to Verbatim blu-ray 50gb with no problems. What media are you using!!! If your virus protection is a problem turn it off temporarly. I would use imgburn!! Added I would use powerdvd instead of vlc player.

I use TDK Dual Layer BD-R Media, I have a SAMSUNG TS-506CB/RSBDE Blu-ray burner and a SONY BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player. (I also have some Verbatim Dual Layer BD-R)

The issue with these Blu-rays is not PowerDVD or VLC, is that they get stuck on my SONY BDP-S5500 too. So I am unable to watch them on TV.

Do you think that by switching to Verbatim I will solve the problem? I don't have deleted the ISOs yet. But there's a risk of wasting 2 disks.

Do you have any advice?

The problem is likely your crappy TDK brand, at best, they're C-grade quality blanks. If your player has any common sense about quality, it'll play the verbatim's flawless. If it doesn't swap out your player

I'm re-burning the ISO with Verbatims, I'll give this a try and post the results here. Thanks for the suggestion.

In your opinion, is the SONY BDP-S5500 a good BD player?

Yeah, anything less than Verbatim BD50's is complete crap. Also the part about, "I've tried playing the rips with VLC on my laptop". If you are doing a 1-1 backup to an iso and the disk has a java menu, it's gonna choke on it. You have to use a real blu-ray software player like PowerDVD. Also SONY BDP-S5500 might be a good player, at least until you copy a Cinavia disk and the audio quits after 20 minutes. Anytime I have problems with blu-ray playback like freezing the first thing I do is eject the disk and look for fingerprints. While the disk is out I unplug it for a minute and wipe the disk if it's dirty. Unplugging the player frees up any errors clogging the memory, just like rebooting a computer. If the disk still hangs at the same place I try playing it in my pc and if it plays fine there then I figure it's time to clean the blu-ray lens in my Oppo93 with some q-tips and denatured alcohol.

PS: Also like Scotton says, RE:I would use imgburn!! It is really good at doing the layer breaks for the second layer.

Sony doesn't enter my home, in any shape or form. They're the main reason cinavia exists on devices today (next to the developers ofcourse)

Let alone the way then loaded a rootkit cd burner driver to keep you from copying their music CD's.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've tried burning the ISO of Lone Survivor to a Verbatim BD50, nope, it doesn't work, it just gets stuck at the same point, 31m40s, and it doesn't pass chapter 6. When I try to skip that chapter, the BD player spins the disk like crazy, like trying to find a way to do that (with no effort).

It seems there are troubles reading the disk, but there are no scratches, and it's on the first layer.

What to do?

The original disk is a mistery. In my BDP-S5500, it played fine with no flaws, but in some of my friends' BD players (cheap Samsungs and LGs), it caused skipping in some points. I mean, it played, but with sudden pauses that lasted up to a couple of seconds. The main point is that the original is now so scratched it won't play - the ISO was done before this.

AnyDVD reports it has AACS and BD+ and the guys @ Foerster Dev report it doesn't have Cinavia

The problem is likely your crappy TDK brand, at best, they're C-grade quality blanks. If your player has any common sense about quality, it'll play the verbatim's flawless. If it doesn't swap out your player
I've been using TDK Dual layer BD-R's for around 7 years, never had any issues with them at all, if anything I've had more issues with Verbatims failing than TDK discs. I always find it funny how people cling to the Verbatim brand and slam down others with nothing to really back it up. I have DL discs from before AnyDVD HD was even released using both Sony and TDK and they are still going strong, the Verbatim DL's from then crapped out on me years ago, and I have newer discs from Verbatim and TDK and they are pretty much on par with each other these days.
The main thing you have to watch for with BD-R discs is to make sure the writer is up to date on the firmware and that you don't let it burn faster than the discs official speed rating if you want a good burn

hmm, the TDK's max speed is not always detected by BurnAware, but I think it depends on my Samsung. Anyway, I burn at 2x which is the slowest available for my burner. A full DL burn lasts 1h40m circa

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've tried burning the ISO of Lone Survivor to a Verbatim BD50, nope, it doesn't work, it just gets stuck at the same point, 31m40s, and it doesn't pass chapter 6. When I try to skip that chapter, the BD player spins the disk like crazy, like trying to find a way to do that (with no effort).

It seems there are troubles reading the disk, but there are no scratches, and it's on the first layer.

What to do?
As a test you could rip the original disc to an ISO then mount the ISO in Virtual Clone Drive and then try playing the mounted ISO on your PC. That would eliminate any burning issues.

As a test you could rip the original disc to an ISO then mount the ISO in Virtual Clone Drive and then try playing the mounted ISO on your PC. That would eliminate any burning issues.

Also try the ISO you're burning
See if it plays on computer
PowerDVD has a trial

Back