• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD file format

Gentle Fox

Hi
I am a total newbie in ripping business so pardon the stupid questions. What file format truly rips and stores a BD bit by bit? Is MP4 a compressed codec? I want to rip my BDs to my NAS. Storage space is not an issue. I just want the same quality that is on the BD disk. As for media players I have the choice between Roku4 or DuneHD. TIA.
Shane

The only way to rip 1:1 is an ISO and not all players can directly play an ISO. Mp4 is not a codec is a container like avi holding the audio/video stream.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Another option is using CloneBD and creating a movie-only lossless MKV backup.

Another question which may not be exactly related to this post. I rip the file with AnyDVD HD to my computer and code it with CloneBD or CloneDVD and save it to my NAS. Is this the proper way?

Another question which may not be exactly related to this post. I rip the file with AnyDVD HD to my computer and code it with CloneBD or CloneDVD and save it to my NAS. Is this the proper way?

No, there's nothing improper with that workflow.

Personally, I always do a full ISO copy of any disc to my HDD via the AnyDVD Ripper feature before processing the mounted ISO via Virtual CloneDrive with any other software. Doing it this way: (1) reduces the wear and tear on the optical drive and DVD/Blu-ray disc, (2) tends to speed up the processing since HDD access it always always faster than from directly accessing from the original disc, and (3) means if you happen to make a mistake or wish to change the settings used for processing your backup the amount of time needed to redo things is easier and quicker since you merely need to re-use the mounted ISO rather than dealing with the disc in your optical drive... AGAIN.

Personally, I always do a full ISO copy of any disc to my HDD

When you refer to HDD you mean the hard drive on your PC or the hard dive on NAS? Is it possible to rip the ISO on to the NAS and mount using Clone BD or Clone DVD and also save that on the NAS? Thanks for your patience.

Hello Shane i just signed up and i have seen your question about codecs and i thought you might want to take a look at this very informative video that explains in great detail how codecs work. I found it to be very informative and it helps a lot :)

Thank you so much. I will view it as soon as I am back at the office later today. My desire is ripping 1:1 but currently I am viewing content via Plex from Roku 4 which allows only MP4 or MKV. I still don't know if these containers are 1:1 or compressed.

Thank you so much. I will view it as soon as I am back at the office later today. My desire is ripping 1:1 but currently I am viewing content via Plex from Roku 4 which allows only MP4 or MKV. I still don't know if these containers are 1:1 or compressed.

As far as I know there is not much of a difference between MP4 and MKV: they both support multiple video, audio, and subtitle streams. Plex supports them both.

In general, H.264 is a good codec for the Plex + Roku combination. I tend to put the video quality setting a little higher and pass through the HD audio without downmixing it, sacrificing disk space (I have plenty) for increased quality.

So the container file is mostly irrelevant, but your goal should probably be storing H.264-encoded video in whichever one you choose. That is an older codec but it works well and is widely compatible with a wide range of devices and programs (including Plex and Roku).

Both DVDs and Blu-ray discs are a collection of playlists or titles. It is possible to make a 1:1 rip of individual titles into MKV files. This is my preferred method as it throws away useless menus, movie trailers etc. If you use a program like BDInfo, it will tell you which playlist(s) to use.

As far as I know there is not much of a difference between MP4 and MKV: they both support multiple video, audio, and subtitle streams. Plex supports them both.

In general, H.264 is a good codec for the Plex + Roku combination. I tend to put the video quality setting a little higher and pass through the HD audio without downmixing it, sacrificing disk space (I have plenty) for increased quality.

So the container file is mostly irrelevant, but your goal should probably be storing H.264-encoded video in whichever one you choose. That is an older codec but it works well and is widely compatible with a wide range of devices and programs (including Plex and Roku).

There's a huge difference between MP4 and MKV. MP4 is very limited in what types of tracks it can contain. Technical it does not support subtitles, although support was shoehorned in by companies like Apple and Nero for certain kinds like vobsub.

MKV, on the other hand, can contain virtually anything. There are also a lot of free and excellent tools for handling MKV, like mkvtoolnix.

DrX

Both DVDs and Blu-ray discs are a collection of playlists or titles. It is possible to make a 1:1 rip of individual titles into MKV files. This is my preferred method as it throws away useless menus, movie trailers etc. If you use a program like BDInfo, it will tell you which playlist(s) to use.
AFAIK you can't do 1:1 MKV that is only possible with ISO. Those remove options are listed in Anydvd HD that you need to choose those options when you have Andydvd HD running before the process starts.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 1:1. If you mean, capturing the video, audio and subtitles tracks without transcoding or altering them, you can certainly do this with MKV. It is what MakeMKV does, for example. If you mean create a copy with all the menus and supplementary materials intact, you cannot do this in MKV. You need a disk image for that.

Back