• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Microsoft A Pain In The Butt Again

I'm still on Windows 7 and will stay there. It has gotten to the point that when I see any update, I click on more information. If I see any indication it is related to the Windows 10 upgrade, I hide it. MS could lie and bury that upgrade but I have a daily image I can go back to. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit brought by either consumers or the government.

It has also been reported that some only get the upgrade button, lol. On the other side I had Win10 installed already, and this week latest upgrade was to Win10 Home.

This why I have automatic updates turned off and vet every one before letting it install. I block all the Windows 10 updates and the "spyware" ones. I will never update to Windows 10 while it forces updates upon you. I cringing the day they force Windows 10 on me at work.

fast eddie, I was checking out some of my tech stuff that I subscribe to while I'm not on here, and I remembered that I use this free software to help me remove all of the Get Windows 10 crap off of my Windows 8.1 Pro PC.

It is called GWX Control Panel, and the tutorial is pretty easy to understand.

I hope that this will help you out.

P.S. It also works on Windows 7, and I will put it to use on my Windows 7 laptop eventually.

EDIT-- If you like the software, the author takes PayPal donations. You don't have to donate if you don't want to--I liked it (GWX Control Panel) so much, I gave $5 to the author.

Last edited:
With the latest build you can do clean install and use your Win 7 or 8 number when it asks for a serial number so no need to 'upgrade'

Thanks whatever_gong82 for the tip, I will look into the GWX control panel.

Both my computers are currently running Windows 7, at least to July 29, 2016 until the free update expires or if I remember correctly January 2020 when Windows 7 updates are no longer available.

I am currently looking into the various methods to install Windows 10, normal update, media creation tool, or clean install and probably put the update to Windows 10 on a DVD disk.

Thanks again for the tip:)

You're welcome, fast eddie. By the way, the date for when Windows stops updates for Windows 7 is 1/14/2020, according to the Windows lifecycle sheet on Windows 7.

It already has, initially the latest version was able to download an ISO with the 'fall update'. They pulled that ISO, but the one currently available is still newer than the one that was initially available

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I am finally going to see if I can move to Linux, I avoided it for years because of PC gaming, then just laziness. But Microsoft is lost, what they are doing to their OS is pathetic. At work I have already made the choice to move to REDHAT from Server 2008 after being forced to use Windows Server 2012 for replacement webservers, so might as well start the learning process at home.

I HATE windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10! Windows 7 forever!

HOWEVER, I found this little gem!
http://classicshell.net/

I went from hating windows 8/10 to loving it. Still have not converted my computer, and probably never will, but for new computers, classicshell makes me feel right at home!

I HATE windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10! Windows 7 forever!

HOWEVER, I found this little gem!
http://classicshell.net/

I went from hating windows 8/10 to loving it. Still have not converted my computer, and probably never will, but for new computers, classicshell makes me feel right at home!
I've been using products from a company called Stardock since Windows 8 came out a few years back (I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center.) They also have software available that can make Windows 10 look like Windows 7.

You have to pay for it, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

fast eddie, I was checking out some of my tech stuff that I subscribe to while I'm not on here, and I remembered that I use this free software to help me remove all of the Get Windows 10 crap off of my Windows 8.1 Pro PC.

It is called GWX Control Panel, and the tutorial is pretty easy to understand.

I hope that this will help you out.

P.S. It also works on Windows 7, and I will put it to use on my Windows 7 laptop eventually.

EDIT-- If you like the software, the author takes PayPal donations. You don't have to donate if you don't want to--I liked it (GWX Control Panel) so much, I gave $5 to the author.

Been using GWX for awhile now, works great.

I find W10 quirky in many small and annoying ways.
When I plug my USB hard drive in, it sometimes does not automatically assign a drive letter to it _ and sometimes it does _ it can't seem to make up it's mind to remember the drive letter it assigns.
The days it doesn't, I have to go into disc management and do it myself.

I use the "Safe to unplug" button when disconnecting the same drive, when I hit the button to do so, I would get a message in W7 that in fact it was safe to unplug the drive _ I don't get this inW10. I have to go to "My PC" and see if the drive is gone there _ it keeps me guessing.

If I use an external mouse, the first time I plug the mouse in, Windows installs its generic driver _ but it never remembers this.
Each time I plug the mouse in, it has to keep installing the driver _ why does it keep deleting the driver _ W7 never did this.
AND THEN SOMETIMES IT REMEMEBERS.

If leave the computer alone, the OS starts busying the processor _ the fan starts ramping up.
If I go to the task manager to find out what's eating up the CPU, the CPU usage immediately goes back to 4%.
It becomes impossible to find out what's eating the CPU usage.

I could go on and on.
These are just a few of the most annoying things that are happening.
And who the hell has all day to trouble shoot at what seems to be a quirky and problematic OS.
I just can't trust it with files at all.

If leave the computer alone, the OS starts busying the processor _ the fan starts ramping up.
If I go to the task manager to find out what's eating up the CPU, the CPU usage immediately goes back to 4%.
It must be Windows doing stuff when computer is idle.
A similar thing happens on XP - all of a sudden HDD light goes full on and I wonder what on earth the activity is. I lift the laptop screen, touch the mouse pad as I quickly try to launch Process Explorer from the notification area and activity instantly stops.
Windows OS loves to mess with your mind :D

I find W10 quirky in many small and annoying ways.
When I plug my USB hard drive in, it sometimes does not automatically assign a drive letter to it _ and sometimes it does _ it can't seem to make up it's mind to remember the drive letter it assigns.
The days it doesn't, I have to go into disc management and do it myself.

I use the "Safe to unplug" button when disconnecting the same drive, when I hit the button to do so, I would get a message in W7 that in fact it was safe to unplug the drive _ I don't get this inW10. I have to go to "My PC" and see if the drive is gone there _ it keeps me guessing.

If I use an external mouse, the first time I plug the mouse in, Windows installs its generic driver _ but it never remembers this.
Each time I plug the mouse in, it has to keep installing the driver _ why does it keep deleting the driver _ W7 never did this.
AND THEN SOMETIMES IT REMEMEBERS.

I could go on and on.
These are just a few of the most annoying things that are happening.
And who the hell has all day to trouble shoot at what seems to be a quirky and problematic OS.
I just can't trust it with files at all.
Sounds more like you have a corrupt Windows, or don't have all the chipset drivers installed. I've literally installed hundreds of copies of Windows 10 on Laptops and Desktops and have never seen any of the issues you mention, External drives are always seen every time and they always eject from the 'Safe unplug' option (I have various test projects I use to test the 3rd party software which is all stored on external drives so each machine is tested with at least 2 different external drives as well as USB thumbdrives) and external mice and other USB devices are always seen every time. Only time I see it re-installing a driver is if I plug it into a different USB socket than one it's been in before and Win 7 also did that.

It must be Windows doing stuff when computer is idle.
A similar thing happens on XP - all of a sudden HDD light goes full on and I wonder what on earth the activity is. I lift the laptop screen, touch the mouse pad as I quickly try to launch Process Explorer from the notification area and activity instantly stops.
Windows OS loves to mess with your mind :D
That's exactly what it's doing... :eek:

Pfft, Windows should make their motto "If it's working well, lets bugger it up" :rolleyes:

Sounds more like you have a corrupt Windows, or don't have all the chipset drivers installed. I've literally installed hundreds of copies of Windows 10 on Laptops and Desktops and have never seen any of the issues you mention, External drives are always seen every time and they always eject from the 'Safe unplug' option (I have various test projects I use to test the 3rd party software which is all stored on external drives so each machine is tested with at least 2 different external drives as well as USB thumbdrives) and external mice and other USB devices are always seen every time. Only time I see it re-installing a driver is if I plug it into a different USB socket than one it's been in before and Win 7 also did that.
I've learned along time ago never to keep important files on a computer.
It will be easy just to throw in a W10 disc to clean up the registry.
At least I won't have to sit there and nurse it.

And the chipset drivers; that may be quite possible, but it's an old HP HDX 18 laptop, so there may not be any.
I may just put it back to W7.

Well if it was me I would do a clean install, boot from the Windows disc then go into a DOS prompt and use Diskpart to clean the OS drive before using then make sure I've got all the latest drivers for the motherboard (not just the ones from the motherboard website but from whoever makes the original driver). I'd also check the OS drive for any faults before installing to ensure that the drive isn't failing in some way

Well if it was me I would do a clean install, boot from the Windows disc then go into a DOS prompt and use Diskpart to clean the OS drive before using then make sure I've got all the latest drivers for the motherboard (not just the ones from the motherboard website but from whoever makes the original driver). I'd also check the OS drive for any faults before installing to ensure that the drive isn't failing in some way
That would be time consuming for me, I've never used DOS prompt and I have very little experience with Diskpart, I would have to teach myself how to do that.
It's not that important that W10 work on that machine anyway, but I still may mess a round with it.
Right now it has a hybrid SSD/Standard Seagate drive in it, it may be failing, but I can't see that happening.
The MoBo is running an Intel processor so the best thing that I can do is get the chipset driver from them.

When I do a clean install I usually pull the drive an hook it up to another computer.
From there I go into disc management and delete all what's on the drive creating unallocated space.
I then leave it like that and let the install disc automatically format the drive when installing the OS.

I am finally going to see if I can move to Linux, I avoided it for years because of PC gaming, then just laziness. But Microsoft is lost, what they are doing to their OS is pathetic. At work I have already made the choice to move to REDHAT from Server 2008 after being forced to use Windows Server 2012 for replacement webservers, so might as well start the learning process at home.
TaeOH, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you: on 2 of my 3 computers I'm still running WIN7 (until they stop providing security updates in 2020) and on my laptop I have been using Linux Mint (17.3 Cinnamon 64bit atm) and I'm very happy with it.
I don't see any future using Microsoft OSes either as Windows10 and certainly all future versions are an impertinence.
For all of you who fear the pestering update icon and/or window in WIN7: just install security-relevant updates and disable the optional ones!
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon is very intuitive and the surface is similarly structured to Windows.
The only thing that is different is the way how to install programs, however I'm sure you'll find out soon ;)
It's absolutely stable and very fast and doesn't get slower after a while as it doesn't depend on a registry which gets more and more cluttered the longer you use it. Linux is easy on resources and if you have an old machine left too slow for WIN just use it as an experimental platform for LINUX!
No need to be afraid. The latest version of Linux Mint can be downloaded as an ISO-file but don't forget to check the MD5-hash! Enjoy...
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2947

Back