• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

legal thoughts

bombinho

I once worked for a good employer who one day decided to change his management. I do not know if that was the best thing to do though. It happened that I felt the need to part. Soon a letter of my former employer arrived asking me to not use the database I had created.

As it happens I had done a lot of the work at home and in my own time. It even happened that my contract of works did not mention the creation of a database. It turned out that the law is pretty clear and I as the creator of the database are in full possession of it and had to send my former employer a letter making him aware that without licensing it I can not permit him further use of the database and front end.

I do not know if that is applicable to the ex-Slysoft employees, provided that there are even proper (legal) contracts existing,
and payments being suitable to be used as proof of employment.

Though a Copyright in the name of a single person could turn out as a bad move as the person could get easily targeted.
Best could be various Copyrights and the partial use of common licenses.

As for the payments one possible vehicle could be the use of a number of small service providers set up to process payments to cover the costs of perfectly legal things like forums. If that is even a payment or if the vehicles are non-profit organisations accepting donations towards the running costs could be another question. Of course a potentially required full time administrator / mod may need to receive some payment to cover his efforts.

My next thought would be, how much has to be extracted from the software to make it a legal software for example to make it possible to watch damaged DVDs on a PC. Which is at the moment not anywhere as easy as with standalone devices. And just hope, nobody makes/uses drivers that extend the abilities of the software.

Another upcoming problem has already been mentioned by James. Windows 10 and its driver signing requirements. I can not see any way to keep the current pace of updates being somehow manageable without the requirement for regular payments, making lifetime versions economically impossible. And even worse I noticed a recent trend of Microsoft being overprotective and barring content that could be potentially illegal in some countries.

As for the movie industries I have to admit to a grudge. I am constantly told that I am not permitted to watch films. Not legally for money anyway. I speak two languages and have two places I call 'home'. Watching a series in my mother tongue is not possible most of the time as for the country I am in nobody holds a license to broadcast legally. Watching something in English leads at some point to the reversed situation. Listening to Bruce Willis in English hurts me almost physically, sorry. Watching House in German is borderline funny at best.

For my music I have Amazon now. Though I may not be able to purchase my music in the other country I can still use my purchased music everywhere. As for movies in 99% I just get a message that my IP is from within a country where streaming of the content is not permitted.
As much as this prevents me from making use of the usual streaming portals it as well would require me to take out one account per country I am at just for still not being able to watch what I paid for. I wonder what some person in Florida would say if he/she would get told that they only stream to Missouri and being elsewhere makes use of their account illegal. I could see some interesting court cases being raised. But for example within EU it is perfectly fine and legal to tell people that they cannot use their accounts as soon as being in an other EU member country. This sounds not right to me and I am sure that either the current legal structures within EU are getting abused or are simply wrong.

Already getting DVDs that contain both languages is not easy. Travelling with a suitcase full of DVDs is neither sensible nor suitable.

At the very moment I can not even watch my next door neighbours DVD, he has lend me, without the use of AnyDVD as I am as usual having the wrong country code on my DVD drive.

Last edited:
Another upcoming problem has already been mentioned by James. Windows 10 and its driver signing requirements. I can not see any way to keep the current pace of updates being somehow manageable without the requirement for regular payments, making lifetime versions economically impossible. And even worse I noticed a recent trend of Microsoft being overprotective and barring content that could be potentially illegal in some countries.

Not so much this. But as Microsoft gets deeper in bed with MPAA LA, what's to stop them from deciding what kind of software will be "permitted" to run on Windows 10 in the first place? It seams to me that as DRM and "content protection" get closer to the driver's seat - that we need to keep a close watch on "who's driving who's bus".
-W

Not so much this. But as Microsoft gets deeper in bed with MPAA LA, what's to stop them from deciding what kind of software will be "permitted" to run on Windows 10 in the first place? It seams to me that as DRM and "content protection" get closer to the driver's seat - that we need to keep a close watch on "who's driving who's bus".
-W

Thats why i still have Windows XP on both PC that i have ;)

P.S. i had windows updates closed from the first day

[SNIP] It seams to me that as DRM and "content protection" get closer to the driver's seat - that we need to keep a close watch on "who's driving who's bus".
-W

Acknowledged. That was one of the reasons why I never had been keen in employing Android/ IOS/ OSX. If you make your own apps / software then you have to pay to use your own software or you have to root / use developer mode etc. Having a device rooted or put in developer mode pretty much means you have made it easy for others to misuse the device(s).
Effectively leaving you with the choice of nailing the key beside the door and hope nobody comes after your assets or giving the key and the assets to somebody who is after your assets.

Things that make you go ummmmm

Did you know that if you are at work and come up with an idea that can make millions if your employer can prove at the time of inspiration happened on the clock he has legal right to your idea!

On two of my 3 machines I'm still running Win7 and will keep on doing until there are no more updates (support is supposed to end in January 2020). On the other one I have installed Linux Mint 17.3 (a derivate of Ubuntu) and I must say it's really easy to handle, just as intuitively as Windows. Got used to it very quickly.
Furthermore there's hope that James will work on a Linux version which would spare us all the worries mentioned above.
Windows10 is an impertinence in any aspect: spying on users and not letting them decide what they want to do let alone the possible backdoors for authorities. Such an unOS will never be installed on one of my machines, basta!

Regarding Linux Mint. I highly recommend that you read following article.
Security vulnerabilities at the Linux Mint project highlight substantial issues with the popular Linux distribution, and the difficulty of maintaining a Linux distribution as a hobbyist project.

Why the Linux Mint hack is an indicator of a larger problem

Windows10 is an impertinence in any aspect: spying on users and not letting them decide what they want to do let alone the possible backdoors for authorities. Such an unOS will never be installed on one of my machines, basta!
No, negative. Not true at all.

Last edited:
Yes it's true that their server got hacked with links implemented pointing to a contaminated .iso-file, which was really unlovely.
So you are always supposed to check the md5-hash of the downloaded files (Even on windows systems I do not merely rely on my antivirus as such threats may remain undetected)
But this doesn't make Linux Mint per se an unsecure OS.
I found another article that puts some of the allegations made in the 'techrepublic'-article into perspective again:
http://www.howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/

But what really prevents me from using WIN10:

The European Digital Rights Organisation summed it up with the following statement:

"One can say that Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.

"The company appears to be granting itself the right to share your data either with your consent 'or as necessary'."

Microsoft's privacy changes have met with a furious reaction...

Last edited:
On two of my 3 machines I'm still running Win7 and will keep on doing until there are no more updates (support is supposed to end in January 2020).

Smart! ;)

Back