• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Raspberry Pi et al.

zapdoing

Has anyone here tried out the ODROID XU4 ($79.-) with the following specs:

* Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
* Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
* 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
* 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
* Gigabit Ethernet port
* HDMI 1.4a for display
* Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx.(including cooling fan)
It has USB3.0 as well as GigabitLAN and a really powerful CPU, not to forget double the amount of RAM!

Very interesting. Pretty much resembles BeagleBone Black, except that every characteristic is x2 at least.

It looks good despite being twice the price of the PI. Considering all of the media boxes available, why would you choose the one with a fan?

It looks good despite being twice the price of the PI. Considering all of the media boxes available, why would you choose the one with a fan?

Hmm, the fan could be quite a nuisance regarding the noise it may emit.
Maybe I should get one within the next few days to see whether it is too loud.
But you must agree, the hardware specs are really seductive.;)

Not bad for the price but it still lacks USB3.0 & GigabitLAN. Imagine transferring a (U)HD-movie with USB limited to the standards of 2.0 or network activities limited to 100 Mbps. They should have at least implemented those two features!

why would you choose the one with a fan?
That's just a heatsink, it's up to you whether you want a fan on top of it.
But, in general, there are alternatives that do not require even a heatsink.

Has anyone here tried out the ODROID XU4 ($79.-) with the following specs:

* Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
* Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
* 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
* 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
* Gigabit Ethernet port
* HDMI 1.4a for display
* Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx.(including cooling fan)
It has USB3.0 as well as GigabitLAN and a really powerful CPU, not to forget double the amount of RAM!
I have read somewhere that this SoC supports HEVC 1080p 10 bits decoding ...

Just my opinion but for $80 you might as well spend a bit more and get a NUC. Then you know you have something that can handle the load. However that is a cool board either way.

Last edited:
People are mentioning the Gigabit Ethernet. But I am curious if this is this just the fastest Raspberry Pi clone, and faster than the new v3 or is there better model out there.

I basically want to make myself an emulator system to play SNES/N64 games on my TV and want the system with the most oomph to make sure it can handle the games well.

People are mentioning the Gigabit Ethernet. But I am curious if this is this just the fastest Raspberry Pi clone, and faster than the new v3 or is there better model out there.

I basically want to make myself an emulator system to play SNES/N64 games on my TV and want the system with the most oomph to make sure it can handle the games well.

The ODROID XU4 has been on the market for about 3 months now. Apart from the GigabitLAN I love the idea of being provided with USB3.0 instead of the sluggish USB2.0 (just like the RASPI 2 as well as the RASPI 3 feature). The octa-core CPU (a Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs) should perform by far better than the quad-cores used in the RASPIs.
For those who want to see a direct comparison on performance: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

@Anthony1uk
By the way I'm also planning to setup a system enabling me to play arcade games based on M.A.M.E. But I'll have to do further research regarding software support first before making a decision.

Last edited:
How about hardware HEVC decoding?
Full specs:

* Amlogic ARM® Cortex®-A53(ARMv8) 2Ghz quad core CPUs
* Mali™-450 GPU (3 Pixel-processors + 2 Vertex shader processors)
* 2Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
* Gigabit Ethernet
* HDMI 2.0 4K/60Hz display
* H.265 4K/60FPS and H.264 4K/30FPS capable VPU
* 40pin GPIOs + 7pin I2S
* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage slot / UHS-1 SDR50 MicroSD Card slot
* USB 2.0 Host x 4, USB OTG x 1 (power + data capable)
* Infrared(IR) Receiver
* Ubuntu 16.04 or Android 5.1 Lollipop based on Kernel 3.14LTS

I dont know the mali 450 specifics.

It's pretty cool that the fan is optional, if I'd have known about this device maybe I wouldn't have ordered yet another Pi revision? The Odroid seems to have a lot of oomph to it that's very hard to ignore. I think what appeals about the Pi is the ecosystem the accessories and operating systems are all custom built around it.

Really though with the fans I have an 80cm tall PC in my lounge. I'll turn down all 11 fan into silent mode, go to watch a movie on the TV and then lucky me the fridge compressor turns on for 30 minutes.

I see people talking about emulation, guaranteed the Odroid is better.

It's pretty cool that the fan is optional, if I'd have known about this device maybe I wouldn't have ordered yet another Pi revision? The Odroid seems to have a lot of oomph to it that's very hard to ignore. I think what appeals about the Pi is the ecosystem the accessories and operating systems are all custom built around it.

Really though with the fans I have an 80cm tall PC in my lounge. I'll turn down all 11 fan into silent mode, go to watch a movie on the TV and then lucky me the fridge compressor turns on for 30 minutes.
About to buy a new home, and having a separate and soundproof living room is a must ;)

About to buy a new home, and having a separate and soundproof living room is a must ;)
I wish I could do that. Not possible in my new build flat. It annoys me having a kitchen/lounge.

Anyway. This Odroid thing. You have the option to have up to 64gb emmc storage pre-installed.
I'm having trouble finding one though, is this on sale yet or a pre-order jobby?

I wish I could do that. Not possible in my new build flat. It annoys me having a kitchen/lounge.

Anyway. This Odroid thing. You have the option to have up to 64gb emmc storage pre-installed.
I'm having trouble finding one though, is this on sale yet or a pre-order jobby?

You can order one from the official website (first google result), along with plenty of emmc options.

Back