• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Closed :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is legal to make a copy of your purchased BD, DVD, etc. It is NOT legal to break the protection on the disc. You can make a copy, but the protection will make the copied disc unusable. That is how they get you. They paid a lot of money to the politicians to have it that way.

If their was no protection, we could exercise our lawful rights. If whomever makes it difficult, thats where the niche exists for Slysoft et al. No laws theoretically are being broken. Whatever it takes, it seems the individual user's rights are being violated, as usual. I feel another group will take on whomever is attempting to shut down Slysoft if they give up. Once more, supply and demand.

I'm super bummed... I bought a license on Feb. 10th. I'm not going to get much use out of this in the future.

I'm super bummed... I bought a license on Feb. 10th. I'm not going to get much use out of this in the future.

Hang in there, someone will pick up the torch, may or may not be slysoft/elby. This all went down less than a week ago, as I'm sure you know........

Elby has the ball in their corner. They will not advertise a third party protection breaker like AnydvdHD. They just advertise that they can do uncopyprotected blurays. I was hoping elby could recommend a third party that would work great with their software other than AnydvdHD.

They could advertise just fine, as long as they don't develop one they're in no risk. As far as recommending goes, they're have already been a few posted in this very thread.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Economics 101, a big demand will inevitably create supplier(s). Not to mention the financial rewards reaped by filling that demand as further incentive.

Demand always creates supply, don't see why this is any different. Someone hopefully will capitalize on a sad situation but thats what makes the world go round. Slysoft found their niche, I have faith that somebody will fill that same niche!!

That is most likely what the problem is here. I would be willing to bet the demand for disc decryption software isn't a tenth of what it used to be. Which is what made it not worth it to keep fighting the legal pressure. Especially considering all of the lifetime licenses, piracy, etc., the income stream just wasn't worth it. If it had been, they probably would have kept fighting. (I was actually expecting SlySoft to eventually close due to lack of interest rather than legal or political pressure.)

People also keep saying, "I'll just stream or wait for cable," but that's exactly what the industry is trying to push people towards (mainly streaming), so if disc sales actually were to decline due to SlySoft shutting down, that would probably be a good thing to the industry! :p

Registered this account to thank all the people for posting all their solutions and to the staff/dev team at slysoft for giving me a reason to buy blurays to rip to my apple tv and iPhone for trips... Thank you so much for making the digital world a better place. Hats off...

Returning the last 30 some blu-rays since I'll just torrent everything from now on.

Is there a way to find the latest Versions of AnyDVDHD? I've missed the last few Updates and now I regret this of course

> https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/if-slysoft-went-out-of-business.60312/#post-389055

Where James wrote:

> IF we went out of business (we won't), we would release an AnyDVD version, which won't require the online database, so all existing discs at this time would continue to work.
So why don't you just release a version with database as "promised" ?
If the company was shut down by force i fully understand, but if it was Slysoft's decision to shut down (for good reason), what keeps them from releasing such a last version ?
And why don't you allow your customers a brief look behind the curtain what's going on - just like LightningUK! when DVD Decrypter was shut down.
Why the secrecy ?

So why don't you just release a version with database as "promised" ?
If the company was shut down by force i fully understand, but if it was Slysoft's decision to shut down (for good reason), what keeps them from releasing such a last version ?
And why don't you allow your customers a brief look behind the curtain what's going on - just like LightningUK! when DVD Decrypter was shut down.
Why the secrecy ?

Since no one is saying anything regarding what actually happened, I SUSPECT (as in SPECULATE) that SlySoft ***may*** have entered into a contract with AACS-LA. Remember that AACS has tried everything including a successful lawsuit in Antigua to shut them down, all of which did not result in SlySoft closing down.

It is **possible** that a legally binding contract was made in Antigua that offered SlySoft something (probably not money... perhaps the promise not to carry out some kind of threat which we can only speculate on). **IF** that is the case, then it may have stipulated that SlySoft "black box" all code, which would mean we will NOT see any kind of source code being made public, databases being made public, or the product coming back under some other name from some other company. (Or SlySoft being able to talk about the deal in any way for that matter.)

Of course THAT IS ALL SPECULATION.

One reason I think it's happening now might be related to the first 4K discs starting to ship, removing SlySoft from decrypting them as they're the ones most likely to do it the soonest. But also and more importantly I think is simply declining sales. It's likely just a smart business decision by SlySoft to shut down now with whatever assets they have and whatever a possible contract might have gotten them, than stay in business with sales trends showing that you'd have to go out of business anyways within the next few years.

Since everything is the property of SlySoft, then they have the ultimate control over any decision or deal that they make, so if they accepted a contract to box it, that's their decision.

The only thing one could HOPE for, I think, is that the SlySoft developers (the people who actually wrote the code) didn't sign any contracts, and are free to go to work for some other company, BUT, they would have to COMPLETELY write new code and a new program from the ground up, basically the equivalent of not violating any of SlySoft's copyrights, which might be pretty hard to do since many of AnyDVD's patches and fixes were unique.

@Loonier
Wouldn't that be something! One final extended release with all existing database info included in this extraordinary piece of software!
Today things start to sink in and I feel miserable... there is now a huge void someone hopefully will fill...

There will be nothing released officially or unofficially anymore. The message is clear:
Due to recent regulatory requirements we have had to cease all activities relating to SlySoft Inc.

first off thank you sly soft for all of the years use.. I know this is the forum for everything. and I respect it very much it has helped on several occasion's. and it is needed. but do you think the company / people who ever did this terrible injustice , might have use all of it to build a case against sly soft ? I may be wrong !!! but if you are trying to take down a giant even the smallest stone works. before anyone disagrees or agrees. it could be possible . just like solving a murder case we use everything from D.N.A. to a stone that was just laying on the ground to convict the perpetrator. just my thought in all that has transpired.. maybe we should stop talking. this may be a fact if they closed it all down torrents , software of this kind . the internet would lose 25 % of traffic. I could be wrong so please google it but I think I seen on this forum.. now as always pick it apart for old time sac it is always fun to watch.:D

James, you wrote;

I'm not sure how well Passkey will evolve, if there is no more AnyDVD .... "to look at". :sneaky:

Does your statement imply 'Passkey' refers to the AnyDVD database or some aspect of the application?

Does your statement imply 'Passkey' refers to the AnyDVD database or some aspect of the application?
This is my suspect, that Passkey contain some "piracy" piece of code from anydvd. If is this the case the things come to be hard.
I used anydvd+reclock to have powerful control over my setup: watching discs (no rip at all) with 2 screens, 2 audio systems (one using spidif, one using analog audio outs), a lot of players that can work... now everything is dead, I suspect that I need to buy a PowerDVD licenser and hope for the best...

Since no one is saying anything regarding what actually happened, I SUSPECT (as in SPECULATE) that SlySoft ***may*** have entered into a contract with AACS-LA. Remember that AACS has tried everything including a successful lawsuit in Antigua to shut them down, all of which did not result in SlySoft closing down.

It is **possible** that a legally binding contract was made in Antigua that offered SlySoft something (probably not money... perhaps the promise not to carry out some kind of threat which we can only speculate on). **IF** that is the case, then it may have stipulated that SlySoft "black box" all code, which would mean we will NOT see any kind of source code being made public, databases being made public, or the product coming back under some other name from some other company. (Or SlySoft being able to talk about the deal in any way for that matter.)

Of course THAT IS ALL SPECULATION.

One reason I think it's happening now might be related to the first 4K discs starting to ship, removing SlySoft from decrypting them as they're the ones most likely to do it the soonest. But also and more importantly I think is simply declining sales. It's likely just a smart business decision by SlySoft to shut down now with whatever assets they have and whatever a possible contract might have gotten them, than stay in business with sales trends showing that you'd have to go out of business anyways within the next few years.

Since everything is the property of SlySoft, then they have the ultimate control over any decision or deal that they make, so if they accepted a contract to box it, that's their decision.

The only thing one could HOPE for, I think, is that the SlySoft developers (the people who actually wrote the code) didn't sign any contracts, and are free to go to work for some other company, BUT, they would have to COMPLETELY write new code and a new program from the ground up, basically the equivalent of not violating any of SlySoft's copyrights, which might be pretty hard to do since many of AnyDVD's patches and fixes were unique.

It's disappointing though that my posting in 2014 anticipated exactly this situation, and James made in reply a promise (to the whole userbase) that hasn't been kept.

Quote "OPD results will be cached locally, if you copy the cache, you can move it to another PC"

So you are saying, for each disk you have, put it in the drive, let AnyDVD look at it and write to its local cache, take it out, do the next one, and so on and so on. Unfortunately all my disks are in another country right now, so that's a bit bleak for me unless this key server stays up quite a few weeks, but at least that may be a solution for many people, at the cost of a weekend if you've got hundreds (like me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back