• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PlayStation 3/4 BD-5 unplayable - CloneBD

TeflonFong

Ok, I THINK I am missing a step - I have been trying to use CloneBD recently to backup my discs that have Cinavia (normally I use BD-Rebuilder).

When I use CloneBD to convert to a BD-R 25gb it works fine in all of my blu-ray players, but when I use CloneBD to convert to a BD-5 (DVD-SL 4.7gb) it works in my LG blu ray player but it reads as a data disc in my PS3 and an unsupported disc on my PS4. With BD-Rebuilder it plays fine on my PS3 but of course I run into Cinavia issues with Cinavia-enabled movies.

I am using the partial copy option with directly play main title enabled - is there something I need to disable or a setting I need to enable in order for BD-5's to play on a PlayStation?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• last witch hunter settings.PNG
    last witch hunter settings.PNG
    386.7 KB · Views: 8
Ok, I THINK I am missing a step - I have been trying to use CloneBD recently to backup my discs that have Cinavia (normally I use BD-Rebuilder).

When I use CloneBD to convert to a BD-R 25gb it works fine in all of my blu-ray players, but when I use CloneBD to convert to a BD-5 (DVD-SL 4.7gb) it works in my LG blu ray player but it reads as a data disc in my PS3 and an unsupported disc on my PS4. With BD-Rebuilder it plays fine on my PS3 but of course I run into Cinavia issues with Cinavia-enabled movies.

I am using the partial copy option with directly play main title enabled - is there something I need to disable or a setting I need to enable in order for BD-5's to play on a PlayStation?

Those players likely don't support BD5 or BD9. The do support AVCHD, which is in a way a subset of a BDMV structure. BDRebuilder's output is "simple enough" to be recognized as AVCHD.

Here's some interesting information taken from http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads...chd-and-blu-ray-discs-with-multiavchd.741221/

In theory, since every Blu-ray player can also read DVDs, they could also play BDMV from DVD, which is referred to as BD5 (BDMV on DVD-5) if it's a single layer DVD or BD9 (BDMV on DVD-9) if it's a dual layer disc. However, since BDMV on DVD media isn't part of the official specs from the BDA, many (most?) standalone players won't play them. Most (perhaps all) Sony standalones and (IIRC) the majority of Samsung players support BD5 and BD9. No Panasonic players support it. Other brands are a mixed bag. Although technically no player is required to play any BDMV disc if it isn't encrypted, manufacturers who have removed this capability via firmware update end up with a lot of angry customers, and I'm not aware of any who haven't changed their minds afterward.

AVCHD is a camcorder format developed by Panasonic and Sony which is supported by a broader selection of Blu-ray standalones. It borrows heavily from BDMV by using the same M2TS (BDAV) container and a similar file structure, but AVCHD isn't part of any official Blu-ray Disc Association standard. The official AVCHD spec is significantly more limited than BDMV, although it has improved over time. Menu features are more limited, BD-J support is non-existent, multiple video and audio streams aren't allowed, and even the type of streams available is more limited.

Once again depending on the brand and model of your player, AVCHD support will vary. Some players, once again Panasonic, follow the spec to the letter. That's why MultiAVCHD has the Strict setting for AVCHD discs, which you should notice specifically references Panasonic players. Others are more forgiving and will allow you to exceed AVCHD specs in a variety of ways. You may be able to use multiple audio streams or officially unsupported streams like DTS audio or VC-1 video. You may be able to have motion menus. You may even be able to exceed the official bitrate limits, although those are primarily based on the physical restrictions of DVD read speed so you could hit a wall no matter how your player is programmed.

The basic rule of thumb is this. A BDMV disc recorded to BD-R or BD-RE (aka BD25 or BD50) should play on pretty much every Blu-ray player. BDMV burned to DVD (aka BD5 or BD9) will work fine on some players, work with restrictions (such as no BD-J support) on others, and not work at all on the rest. AVCHD discs (on DVD media) with features or content which are part of the BDMV spec, but not the AVCHD spec, will work with varying degrees of success on different players, but not at all on Panasonics. AVCHD discs which are completely within spec should play on most players, although I know at one point there were also players which only supported AVCHD via USB. However, I don't think that's an issue for any model introduced within the last 2-3 years or so.

Personally, I can confirm that
  • Sony players will play BD5 discs (except for PS3/4, they refuse)
  • Samsung: I have one that will, another (a newer model) that won't
  • Panasonic won't
Technically it would be doable to force CloneBD to stick to the AVCHD format, I just wonder whether it is worth the trouble.
You get BD-R 25GB discs for under 50 cents, DVD blanks are a bit cheaper, but it's not like we're talking about serious money here.
Is it really worth saving 10-20 cents at the cost of reducing HD video to mush?

Thanks for that information - I didn't realize there was a difference between AVCHD and BD5 - I primarily use BD-Rebuilder and use the option for BD-5 (forgetting that it also has a setting in setup called Strict AVCHD that I have enabled).

I do use 25gb BD-R's, the problem I see with those is that they worked perfectly in the beginning, but the movies I first backed up start to skip in later chapters now...I am pretty sure this is because they were first-generation BD-R discs (TDK, Verbatim) combined with first-generation Blu-Ray players (the launch version of the PS3/60gb version). In fact, I remember my first PS3 wouldn't play some backups at all but my backups played perfectly on my friend's 80gb PS3. The PS3 I have now plays backups fine, but the older BD-R 25gb and BD-RE discs are causing some trouble (skipping) in later chapters.

Not sure if the newer BD-R's are better, but I will give them a try...but of course won't be able to test the durability/archival life until about 3 years out from now if my backups still run from start to finish without skipping. Thanks Again!

Thanks for that information - I didn't realize there was a difference between AVCHD and BD5 - I primarily use BD-Rebuilder and use the option for BD-5 (forgetting that it also has a setting in setup called Strict AVCHD that I have enabled).

I do use 25gb BD-R's, the problem I see with those is that they worked perfectly in the beginning, but the movies I first backed up start to skip in later chapters now...I am pretty sure this is because they were first-generation BD-R discs (TDK, Verbatim) combined with first-generation Blu-Ray players (the launch version of the PS3/60gb version). In fact, I remember my first PS3 wouldn't play some backups at all but my backups played perfectly on my friend's 80gb PS3. The PS3 I have now plays backups fine, but the older BD-R 25gb and BD-RE discs are causing some trouble (skipping) in later chapters.

Not sure if the newer BD-R's are better, but I will give them a try...but of course won't be able to test the durability/archival life until about 3 years out from now if my backups still run from start to finish without skipping. Thanks Again!

Ok, that is indeed a problem and I can't say whether the situation has improved.
All in all degradation of BD media (not only copies, but pressed discs, too) call for ... well ... copies.
Meanwhile I have a handful of original discs that became unreadable over time on all devices (without a visible trace, no scratches, nothing). And I can imagine that it's worse with writable discs (as it is with DVDs as well).
A fat hard disc in a RAID is probably the best way to preserve those discs long-term.

Ok, that is indeed a problem and I can't say whether the situation has improved.
All in all degradation of BD media (not only copies, but pressed discs, too) call for ... well ... copies.
Meanwhile I have a handful of original discs that became unreadable over time on all devices (without a visible trace, no scratches, nothing). And I can imagine that it's worse with writable discs (as it is with DVDs as well).
A fat hard disc in a RAID is probably the best way to preserve those discs long-term.

Yes, I haven't noticed it YET in originals luckily (knocking wood). I periodically test them (especially the older ones, like Talladega Nights that came packaged with my PS3) so far, so good. I will definitely start to use CloneBD more now that it can strip Cinavia - I prefer to use my PS3 because I really like the media remote and am used to the interface, but I plan on transitioning to the Samsung UHD player soon (and I imagine that would have Cinavia too).

Back